MK Dons - Starting X1

Typical Latics is how I would describe that today. Just couldn't make the possession pay off. Our fitness levels were definitely higher than last year. MK killed the game when were really having a go about the 70 minute mark, the ref bought into there feigning of injury and I know you should really applaud anyone who is carried off on a stretcher but I think there acting prior to this wore us down. We will be fine with a old head at the back but how we missed a Baxter or Byrne. 

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah bugger! Hopefully we won't drop many more points through silly mistakes, it could be the difference. But it's not gonna be a particularly strong league, lets be honest. Good surroundings for young defenders to learn, and learn they must.

Wasn't sure, could Iversen have done better for either goal? Terrific Schmeichelesque save early in second half.

Thought Coke was completely anonymous , impressed with Branger , thought MK Dons were appalling with their lets take it in turns to fall down get the trainer on and nullify any momentum we were building and the ref let them get away with it ! A new division and still no homer referee!

crying out for a Baxter/Byrne to open up their defence .

Still early days and missing a few of our starting eleven plus if MK dons are favourites to go up there is nothing to fear

GK - Iversen- One very good save second half when he had been sold one by the defenders, think he may have dived over the penalty, don’t think he could much about the 2nd. Seems like he can certainly do a job for us.

Defenders

Hunt- Much better 2nd half, covered for Graham at least once when he really shouldn’t have had to. However, first half he was poor.

Hamer- Similar to Hunt, except his poor first half was due to a lack of cover in front of him against some decent players.

Edmundson- Average, won’t play against many better forwards than Agard and Simpson this year. Be interesting how he fares against other opposition without Clarke or other experienced player alongside.

Graham- Didn’t rate him at all, slow, cumbersome, often out of position, see comments for Hunt and Iversen above. I’m not a big fan of Stott (who is also slow) but can’t see what Graham offers over Stott as yet. Then again as with Edmundson he won’t play against many better strikers than Agard this year. 

Midfielders

Coke- Anonymous, if he is a wide player then we’ve brought a pup, but if he was being played out of position then I’m willing to give him a bit of slack.

Missilou- Did OK, definite improvement on Fane, for me, but I don’t rate Fane as I like footballers to do more than run around a lot.

Gardner- MOTM by a long way, scored, looked dangerous going forward but also helped shore up defensively.

Branger- Decent- won’t play against many better full backs than Lewington this year, but gave their defence some trouble with some nice skills and looked quite pacy too.

Gevaro- Solid, no coincidence that we looked a lot safer defensively when he came on. Looked slightly more dangerous in the final third than he did last year.

Forwards 

Miller- Did what he was supposed to do, think he will be a useful asset this season but can’t see him scoring many as he looked knackered before he was subbed, so think O’Grady for Miller (or vice-a-versa) will be a very common substitution this year.

O’Grady- Very similar to Miller did the job he was supposed to, don’t think he will score many.

Surridge- Was impressed with him, not a target man, despite being quite tall, but a good all-rounder who had some neat touches and made some good runs. If things click he may bag a few this season.

Maouche- Not really on long enough to comment, but doesn’t look to be worth his reported wage, but not quite like someone who won a raffle either.

Coaching staff: Scuppered by (apparent) injuries. Taylor was on crutches and had a walking brace on- will be surprised if he returns in the 4 weeks mentioned. However, made the needed substitution at HT- bringing Gevaro on for Coke having clearly made a minor change during the first half by telling Coke to stay wide. As mentioned O’Grady for Miller will be a very common substitution this season. However, making a needed change at HT is a sign that the team was wrong to begin with.

Referee- Although he clearly got the major decision right- as it looked a clear penalty, too many of the 50/50 decisions were given to them. I can see why he gave foot up against Miller (which was just prior to the aforementioned penalty decision), as Miller’s foot was high it wasn’t dangerous, so as Miller got the ball and their player made no attempt to play the ball I thought the decision should have either been in our favour or a case of play-on. Didn’t cotton on to the timewasting well enough as well. Don’t think the EFL will do anything but having a referee from Huntingdonshire ref a MK Dons match is a bit like having a referee from Lancashire referee an Oldham match.

4 minutes ago, Ryan said:

Thought O’Grady did OK when he came on. Miller was blowing every time he moved 5 yards.

O'Grady put one cross in and headed a few balls opposite way to where our other striker was. I'm sure you purposely post stuff to go against the majority view for some kind of enjoyment. 

1 minute ago, mcfluff1985 said:

O'Grady put one cross in and headed a few balls opposite way to where our other striker was. I'm sure you purposely post stuff to go against the majority view for some kind of enjoyment. 

I saw similar from O'Grady as you, held up a couple of balls and brought others into play now and then but generally spent half his time on his arse and flicking on misdirected headers.

1 minute ago, mcfluff1985 said:

I said ‘ok’. Hardly fishing is it?

Just now, mcfluff1985 said:

Miller did more than O'Grady. I'll go with FB's opinion and see who he starts next game though

Straw man, nice! I didn’t make any kind of comment on Miller’s contribution to the game. He looked unfit is what I’m saying, I haven’t criticised his ability...

Disgraceful gamesmanship by the Dongs - I reckon they must have their own head trauma unit at the local hospital.

Did anybody hear a Latics "fan" called Carl on GMR? His version of the match was doom and gloom, no players having a performance of note and the club is dying on it's arse.

15 minutes ago, mikejh45 said:

Disgraceful gamesmanship by the Dongs - I reckon they must have their own head trauma unit at the local hospital.

Did anybody hear a Latics "fan" called Carl on GMR? His version of the match was doom and gloom, no players having a performance of note and the club is dying on it's arse.

Yes what a bellend :thumbsdown:

2 hours ago, Kusunga_Is_God said:

Don’t get the mindset behind this. Imagine if we had won today...

Suspect they would have said the same. Just because Crewe won 6-0 today wont necessarily make people think that theyve got the league sewn up, just like a win for us today, would have been nothing but a good, encouraging start. Most people have perspective either way and don't lurch to extremes.

3 hours ago, bigfatjoe1 said:

Effectively, we had five players missing and we played well once we settled after the first half hour. That's a lot for any team. Frustrated not to get the draw, but lots to be positive about. 

For various reasons we were missing 7 players: Clarke, Taylor, Dummigan, Gerrard, Byrne, Fane, and Baxter. 

Went today full of optimism, came out thinking shit mid table at best, but now thinking hold on wait till the next 3 games forest/macc/Morecambe if we don’t get 7 points out of that them then I’m worried also after today’s show O’Grady/Coke/ Miller ain’t the answer for goals 

7 minutes ago, oafc21 said:

Went today full of optimism, came out thinking shit mid table at best, but now thinking hold on wait till the next 3 games forest/macc/Morecambe if we don’t get 7 points out of that them then I’m worried also after today’s show O’Grady/Coke/ Miller ain’t the answer for goals 

I think O'Grady and Miller may be involved in goals but can't see them scoring that many. 

Can't believe it finally happened, but we did well not to give them the ball back when they put the ball out. Unfortunately it seems their lad got a real injury near the end there, so it's a shame he got booed, but some must have thought they were faking it after they were going down at every opportunity.

Take away Gardner's goal and we never really troubled their keeper.

i could pick out individual poor displays but you all saw them for yourselves.

Surridge has quality  written all over him but needs the likes of a Byrne or Baxter to help him out.

3 points lost,paint it however you like but we are pointless in the fourth tier of English football. 

6 minutes ago, archiecat said:

Take away Gardner's goal and we never really troubled their keeper.

i could pick out individual poor displays but you all saw them for yourselves.

Surridge has quality  written all over him but needs the likes of a Byrne or Baxter to help him out.

3 points lost,paint it however you like but we are pointless in the fourth tier of English football. 

After one game.

Paint it as gloomy as you like ?

Archived