Cheltenham (H)

53 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

He is still barking his orders. Don't expect Frankie to be here much longer. It'll be cheap as chips (in relative terms) to sack him too...

....I wonder if he has any idea of what an absolute tit he [already does] will look like if he sacks another manager, while not being able to enter the country, not paying wages on time / having our best [loan] player unavailable through "injury". I suspect he's unaware....

53 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

And just who affordable can improve this very ordinary team?

Answers on a postage stamp.

Gary Bowyer was mentioned the other day. He’s got a promotion from this division on his cv. He’s also earned his stripes working under alleged volatile club owners. So the shenanigans at BP wouldn’t put him off.

Edited by johnafoafc

7 minutes ago, johnafoafc said:

Gary Bowyer was mentioned the other day. He’s got a promotion from this division on his cv. He’s also earned his stripes working under alleged volatile club owners. So the shenanigans at BP wouldn’t put him off.

Probably just scouting .  I'd have thought after th Blackpool experience some stability might appeal but personally I'd like to see what letting a  manager develop could achieve.  Radical thought I know.

Edited by Dave_Og

12 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Probably just scouting .  I'd have thought after th Blackpool experience some stability might appeal but personally I'd like to see what letting a  manager develop could achieve.  Radical thought I know.

Lots of people would be very happy to let Frankie Bunn develop his managerial skills, but not if that means years of mid-table mediocrity, or worse, in a division we should be prospering in. 

I'd agree that the likely reason for someone like Gary Bowyer to be watching us is scouting in nature. But if we were to fire Frankie I wouldn't be surprised if Gary Bowyer was considered for the job. 

12 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

Lots of people would be very happy to let Frankie Bunn develop his managerial skills, but not if that means years of mid-table mediocrity, or worse, in a division we should be prospering in. 

Why should we be prospering?  There are only two reasons I can think of why the word "should" features which would be around quality of squad and available budget.  There seems a common consensud that our squad is prettty average and I can't see any grounds for thinking we have one of the division's bigger budgets.

2 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Why should we be prospering?  There are only two reasons I can think of why the word "should" features which would be around quality of squad and available budget.  There seems a common consensud that our squad is prettty average and I can't see any grounds for thinking we have one of the division's bigger budgets.

..........but we're the mighty Oldham don't ya know !

5 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

You know something’s amiss when 300 ST holders cant be bothered turning up. Until the sending off it had 0 v 0 written all over it against a very very poor side who offered absolutely nothing!

We are sitting mid table and just about where we deserve to be. I keep hoping we will get better but haven’t seen anything to suggest that we will.

Champions League coverage didn’t help our cause last night but make no mistake that was an horrendous crowd and should sound the alarm bells off in our ‘empty’ boardroom.

A continuation of our home performances will probably see crowds drop even further and sub 3k crowds will become the norm.

A thoroughly depressing situation and can still see no end to our steady decline!

I think midweek games shown on Ifollow will affect us more than most, because of the weather. It was colder and windy last night, and after recent performances, people decided to stay at home and watch it. If there is no improvement on the pitch, this will only get worse and we could see gates of not much more than 2000 in January and February. Only a good cup run, decent signings in the transfer window, and exciting attacking football will turn this around.  Having said that I don't expect it to happen. 

4 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

There also seems to be a consensus that any team that has beaten us haven't been that good. 

Also the consensus that some of the sides have been awful. 

Also that actually our squad stands up against the squad that was only narrowly relegated last season. 

When I say prospering I don't mean being at the top of league more not being bottom half. 

11 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

There also seems to be a consensus that any team that has beaten us haven't been that good. 

Also the consensus that some of the sides have been awful. 

Also that actually our squad stands up against the squad that was only narrowly relegated last season. 

When I say prospering I don't mean being at the top of league more not being bottom half. 

We're top half now, bunting time!! ? 

4 hours ago, Bobledgersheart said:

..........but we're the mighty Oldham don't ya know !

That's right.

It's a disgrace we're in this division, and we should be looking to get promoted out of it.

I wish someone - anyone - from the club would come out and say something along those lines..

4 minutes ago, JoeP said:

That's right.

It's a disgrace we're in this division, and we should be looking to get promoted out of it.

I wish someone - anyone - from the club would come out and say something along those lines..

Nothing that has happened since May would suggest promotion, quite the opposite in fact.

13 minutes ago, JoeP said:

That's right.

Why is it a disgrace? We are no more entitled to be higher than the other 23 teams in this league.

Folks were moaning last year that it was a disgrace we had been longer in that division than anybody else.

Would you honestly from a club point of view go on record that we should be promoted out of it with our current financial status and the players we have-just creating a stick for others to beat you with.

24 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

Why is it a disgrace? We are no more entitled to be higher than the other 23 teams in this league.

Folks were moaning last year that it was a disgrace we had been longer in that division than anybody else.

Would you honestly from a club point of view go on record that we should be promoted out of it with our current financial status and the players we have-just creating a stick for others to beat you with.

Yes, I would go on record as saying our aim is to get out of this division, otherwise what's the point of turning out?

7 hours ago, lookersstandandy said:

....I wonder if he has any idea of what an absolute tit he [already does] will look like if he sacks another manager, while not being able to enter the country, not paying wages on time / having our best [loan] player unavailable through "injury". I suspect he's unaware....

Football supporters have long past caring so why would club owners? There are countless examples to demonstrate the dire state - I'm not talking about the obscene sums of money attached to to; there are many who would argue that the financial state is rosy. I'm talking about traits such as principle and loyalty - but Ranieri's dismissal at Leicester is a good and recent example. Providing shirts are being flogged in China and supporters can video record footballers celebrating a goal with a silly manoeuvre, looking like a tit doesn't register.

Of course, what you refer to ought to be enough to make a cat laugh but the social media people simply had to create a few short videos referring to the club's new 'journey' or 'story' to announce the sale of the club and it's lapped up - like the milk the laughing cat is too preoccupied to sup.

Edited by UpTheLatics

1 hour ago, JoeP said:

That's right.

Agree 100% - if nothing else it gets everybody around the club in a mindset where at least being in the hunt for promotion is a minimum standard rather than an achievement.

1 hour ago, whittles left foot said:

Others will beat them with that stick regardless.

They did in 1991.

You're just encouraging/embracing the soft bigotry of low expectation which is baffling from a fan of a sports team, football or otherwise...

50 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Yes, I would go on record as saying our aim is to get out of this division, otherwise what's the point of turning out?

Bunn and/or Rhodes did say exactly that at the Trust night pre-season....

I'd like to hear it said again. 

We are 4 points off the playoffs by the way with a game in hand...

1 hour ago, whittles left foot said:

We are the biggest team in the poxy league bar Swindon. We have founded and graced the premier league. We should be  throwing everything at promotion!