Cheltenham (H)

3 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

Bunn and/or Rhodes did say exactly that at the Trust night pre-season....

I'd like to hear it said again. 

We are 4 points off the playoffs by the way with a game in hand...

Not signed up to I-follow, but saw an interview where he was asked what our ambitions were for the season and he grumbled "we'll see how we go..".

He must save his inspirational talk for the dressing room..

1 minute ago, latics22 said:

We are the biggest team in the poxy league bar Swindon. We have founded and graced the premier league. We should be  throwing everything at promotion!

Even for the "smallest" team the management should still be attempting to punch above their weight and daring to dream. 

I've always considered that the be all and end all of any sport. 

1 hour ago, latics22 said:

We are the biggest team in the poxy league bar Swindon. We have founded and graced the premier league. We should be  throwing everything at promotion!

We're bigger than Swindon. 

A few weeks ago I did some research and came up with the following stats. 

4 hours ago, HarryBosch said:

Agree 100% - if nothing else it gets everybody around the club in a mindset where at least being in the hunt for promotion is a minimum standard rather than an achievement.

That’s pie in the sky Harry, and you know it. 

You can have all the mindset you want. You can talk about standards and any other buzz word, but it can’t disguise investment and squad depth. 

4 hours ago, HarryBosch said:

Others will beat them with that stick regardless.

They did in 1991.

You're just encouraging/embracing the soft bigotry of low expectation which is baffling from a fan of a sports team, football or otherwise...

What fan embraces soft bigotry of low expectation????

Your implying we’ve all come accept where we are instead realising what ‘we should be’ or ‘can be’ that’s all well and good in never never land. .  . but back in the real world it’s called money, and we haven’t got any. 

Money comes well before any soft bigotry of low expectation. 

I dont expect anything, because we’re skint. Simple. 

2 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

Bury have won the FA Cup twice, so theyre a bigger club than us.

Not sure you can really consider those from pre ww1 as an argument.

I certainly wouldn’t say Wigan were a bigger club than Palace, yet one has won the FA Cup and the other’s best achievement is a 2nd tier championship.

I wonder if there's a formula to work out the "size" of a club?

For every season spent in the top flight - 4 points

For every season spent in the second tier - 3 points

For every season spent in the third tier - 2 points

For every season spent in the fourth tier - 1 point

plus

For every top flight Championship - 10 points

For every second tier Championship - 6 points

For every third tier Championship - 4 points

For every fourth tier Championship -  2 points

plus

For every promotion from the second tier - 3 points

For every promotion from the third tier - 2 points

For every promotion from the fourth tier - 1 point.

plus

For every FA Cup/League Cup/European Cup win - 5 points.

For every European qualification - 3 points

For every JPT win - 1 point

plus

The club's ranked place as points (so 92 - 1) for average rolling home attendance for the last 10 years.

JoeP (C)

18 minutes ago, JoeP said:

I wonder if there's a formula to work out the "size" of a club?

For every season spent in the top flight - 4 points

For every season spent in the second tier - 3 points

For every season spent in the third tier - 2 points

For every season spent in the fourth tier - 1 point

plus

For every top flight Championship - 10 points

For every second tier Championship - 6 points

For every third tier Championship - 4 points

For every fourth tier Championship -  2 points

plus

For every promotion from the second tier - 3 points

For every promotion from the third tier - 2 points

For every promotion from the fourth tier - 1 point.

plus

For every FA Cup/League Cup/European Cup win - 5 points.

For every European qualification - 3 points

For every JPT win - 1 point

plus

The club's ranked place as points (so 92 - 1) for average rolling home attendance for the last 10 years.

JoeP (C)

Think you would have to weight for more recent achievements. An FA Cup win in, say, 1906 can't be worth as much as one this millennium. 

On you go! 

13 hours ago, HarryBosch said:

Others will beat them with that stick regardless.

They did in 1991.

You're just encouraging/embracing the soft bigotry of low expectation which is baffling from a fan of a sports team, football or otherwise...

What nonsense-OK lets go out and say we are gonna win the league and watch us shoot up this league because we have said we will.

11 hours ago, rudemedic said:

We're bigger than Swindon. 

A few weeks ago I did some research and came up with the following stats. 

I care not one jot who is the bigger club in any division. Your judgement of size is relevant only to your opinion and what does it matter anyway? The fact is in the eyes of football in general we are now a minnow in the water and will continue to be until we achieve something of note again. 

26 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

What nonsense-OK lets go out and say we are gonna win the league and watch us shoot up this league because we have said we will.

I care not one jot who is the bigger club in any division. Your judgement of size is relevant only to your opinion and what does it matter anyway? The fact is in the eyes of football in general we are now a minnow in the water and will continue to be until we achieve something of note again. 

Size does matter. Thankfully...

9 hours ago, League one forever said:

You can have all the mindset you want. You can talk about standards and any other buzz word, but it can’t disguise investment and squad depth. 

Bollocks. :lol:

Such psychology is essential in any walk of life where targets - whether they be goals, points, sales figures - need to be hit. 

Whatever our level of investment or squad depth makes par for the course Bunn, Rhodes, Abdallah should have everyone aiming to overachieve and it should be clear that anything lower than 7th is unacceptable, it's a pre-requisite not an achievement. 

If a big side comes down with a budget that means they should piss their league anything less will be unacceptable, it'll be treated as a given and the target will instead be, eg a record points haul...

How can you say that's pie in the sky? 

Edited by HarryBosch

8 hours ago, League one forever said:

What fan embraces soft bigotry of low expectation????

Your implying we’ve all come accept where we are instead realising what ‘we should be’ or ‘can be’ that’s all well and good in never never land. .  . but back in the real world it’s called money, and we haven’t got any. 

Money comes well before any soft bigotry of low expectation. 

I dont expect anything, because we’re skint. Simple. 

19 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

Maybe another way of articulating what @JoeP & @HarryBosch are saying is..... they & I, do not accept that our current plight is the best we can hope for - even given what you reasonably point out, that we are skint & uncoupled from assets that define us.

By not allowing Barry to tell us promotion would be bad thing, without challenge.....

By not accepting Simon Corney tell us, staying up for 10 years is an achievement we should be grateful for, without challenge....

By not accepting Frankie Bunn preach to us that we have to realise we are not in the Premier League anymore [he can fook off, I've watched us more than he has since 1994], without challenge....

By not accepting Corney/Lemsagam run the place like a circus, without challenge.... [I'm grateful for the likes of @OAFCMIKE doing what he does].....

....we - at the very least - are able to ensure we apply as much pressure [however little it may be] as we can on "them" to do the right things..... otherwise, "they" can get comfortable and rewrite our hopes and expectations, which engenders the soft bigotry Harry is referring to.....

33 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

Although that isn't what I said - as you know - I'd rather that than say something that left the players feeling that finishing mid table or avoiding relegation was acceptable or an achievement.

Is this ground breaking stuff I'm talking about here or something?

I thought it was all old hat?