Cheltenham (H)

We made hard work of that..They were a really poor side an offerd little. We got there in the end. We still are too scared to shoot in good positions or are unwilling to play the ball forward for what ever reason at times the defence were taking 6,7 8 touch to get the ball forward. But we got there Lang took his goal really well and at least benteke was given some time to do something. 

Iverson 6 will never have an easier game. Spectator.

Clarke 6 no mistakes as such but he was a little slow on getting rid of the ball.

George  6 similar story really but defend well.  even if the defence  were sat a bit deep 

Hamer 7 how he wasn't starting I don't know. Solid strong in the tackle and loads of energy.

Hunt 7 good game overall they rarely got anything going in wide areas and his cross for the goal was crucial 

Nepo 8 probably our best attacking player. Couple of decent efforts on goal  and crosses 

Missolou 7 very good first half won a lot of ball. Did it give it away much either and coverd the pitch well. Was a bit of a risk leaving him on for the full game I thought.

Gardner 6 invisible for 30 minutes before getting in to the game. Didn't give it away as much but still looks for the Hollywood moments too much.

Lang 7 promising start but then drifted out the game but has ability when given the ball and took his goal really well.

Baxter 6 looked bright in the first half and u thought he was going to get on the end of something today faded away 2nd half.

Cog 5 started ok good ball for Baxter at one point but the offerd nothing 

Benteke   7 not convined his touch  is up to it but got the goal. Did not do a huge amount otherwise but that was a crucial moment for us.

Miller 6 instant upgrade on cog and carrys way more of a threat.

5 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

The second laziest amateur comment in the book, just after technically naïve.

Had a very entertaining bellend by us tonight screaming about (among other things) Hamer being 'naive'. Really? Our 18 year old full back lacks tactical nous and experience? Thank fuck you're here to enlighten us.

Pretty crap, that, but can only hope the result kick starts us.

1 minute ago, rosa said:

Had a very entertaining bellend by us tonight screaming about (among other things) Hamer being 'naive'. Really? Our 18 year old full back lacks tactical nous and experience? Thank fuck you're here to enlighten us.

Pretty crap, that, but can only hope the result kick starts us.

Don’t know why anyone would say that. He was v good tonight. 

6 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

Don’t know why anyone would say that. He was v good tonight. 

Just been reminded that the same bloke screamed "WHAT'S HE TAKING LONG THROW INS FOR? IT'S WINDY!". Which is one of the funniest things I've ever heard at the match.

One of the worst sending offs I've ever seen. Fair enough they go head to head without much action, separated and potentially either booked or just a talking too, then after about five seconds just when it's about to break up, he does the slightest head flick and he's got to go. Soon as he did it the referee reached for his pocket ..

With his side struggling, doing alright away from home, to do that, well I just can't fathom it. It wasn't even like he fully went for it to make it worthwhile (not that I condone it) but it was so pathetic and avoidable, Duff wasn't happy with him ..

Apart from that we weren't great. None of the strikers look like they'll score goals, we're miles off the pace, struggling to beat them tonight with ten men, who knows if they hadn't had a man sent off. Time wasting against ten men of Cheltenham at home sums it up.

On the plus side the three points keeps us there or there abouts and two wins out of the next three on the road and we'll be back in the mix. Suits us playing better away so who knows.

Not sure why he didn't take Missolou off after that second challenge. Thought as someone said around me tonight the lads were very quiet with each other, the only ones you could hear were them.

Glad of the win but can still do a lot better.

Given how poor they were and then down to 10 men I thought Bunn could have made better subs.

I would have gone 3 at the back, brought Dummy on right & Nepo left , pushed Lang upfront and drop Baxter back in behind the front 2.

I still don't get this playing Lang wide!!!!!

Just hope we get some confidence from this but Bunn still doesn't fill me with any. 

6 minutes ago, losesome said:

Glad of the win but can still do a lot better.

Given how poor they were and then down to 10 men I thought Bunn could have made better subs.

I would have gone 3 at the back, brought Dummy on right & Nepo left , pushed Lang upfront and drop Baxter back in behind the front 2.

Just hope we get some confidence from this but Bunn still doesn't fill me with any. 

Mmmm.

Beginning to feel the same. 

When he got called out after 5 games, i thought it was harsh to make a judgement on the style of play so quickly. 

After 15 games, I think you can get a fairer reflection on how he wants to play. I think the standard of the league will mean we will stay up quite comfortably, but if we were playing like this in league one, we’d be bottom four no doubt. As we were on numerous occasions with managers of a similar style to Bunn’s.

Robinson being the best example. 

The vast majority of top half sides in any league play to win,  instead trying not to lose and hoping to nick it. 

It’s frustrating and very boring to watch, especially at home. 

When you are in the position we are in you have to take a win no matter how it looks. So while it was not a good game of football it gets us back on track. 

Like the rest of you I have no idea why Lang hasnt been given a go up the middle yet. With Surridge out he is our most dangerous player.

Baxter was dissapointing again had he been another player in the last 3 home games he would be getting pelters. Their was a clamour for him to start prior to the carlisle game he's done very little in those games to justify a start. 

Happy with Miller when he came on he did well again glad Benteke got of the mark might see him kick on also pleased with Nepo Missilou and Hamer who all put a shift in without being amazing I thought. I also thought Gardners passing was muchbimproved from saturday.

Well that was bad, but 3 points is nothing to be sniffed at, cog can not be first team in the future, was he trying to do a one two with top off in the first half down the wing, he controlled looked and still passed it down towards top off WTF!! Langs finish at the end made it a shit night into a average one

I don't think it was as bad as some are making out. Cheltenham didn't really do anything, Iverson didn't have to make a save which we restricted them to. We looked solid defensively even before the sending off. We pinged the ball about well and made some dencent runs out wide to cross but we werent always sharp enough to shoot when we probably should have done. Our issue is playing the one up front. Which, granted changed when Millar and Benteke came on. I think Bunn needs to be braver with his selection up top. CoG is not to be used as a solo striker and Baxter can not play off him, this has to change otherwise we have a 5 man midfield and a 5 man defence.

8 hours ago, losesome said:

But Bunn's subs probably won us the game..

Didn't think it was that bad, from watching on i-follow. Can't remember the last time I saw such a one-sided game in Latics favour, although have to agree with the general consensus about O'Grady. Squad player at best. 

8 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Can't admit to having seen much of him but Benteke does at least seem offer some nuisance value, not even getting that from O'Grady.

Excuses wearing thin for Baxter, only one you could offer up now is the negative nature of the team not suiting him.

I think the bans have affected Baxter mentally and he needs a bit of playing time to get confidence and his head right. That’s possibly why Bunn wasn’t rushing him back. 

Pretty poor performance really, Cheltenham were dreadful and offered nothing, yet I have my doubts about whether we'd have won if they hadn't had a player stupidly sent off.

The result will paper over the cracks, we are very average, especially without Surridge.

Good individual effort for his goal by Lang, that will do his confidence the world of good.

Edited by Hometownclub

We won purely and simply because of their moron being sent off.

With the wind behind them in the second half Cheltenham would have offered more threat than we did for the first 45.

As it was we huffed and puffed for 75 minutes before finding a breakthrough against a ten man,next to bottom team.

I am pretty sure we can expect normal service to be resumed on saturday and hope for a point against another bottom end team.

What a time to be alive !