Cheltenham (H)

45 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Can't admit to having seen much of him but Benteke does at least seem offer some nuisance value, not even getting that from O'Grady.

Excuses wearing thin for Baxter, only one you could offer up now is the negative nature of the team not suiting him.

Think your right about Benteke, he's very raw but at least gives a defender something to think about with his pace and movement, too often we are too easy to set up against and predictable in the final third.

1 hour ago, deyres42 said:

Can't admit to having seen much of him but Benteke does at least seem offer some nuisance value, not even getting that from O'Grady.

Excuses wearing thin for Baxter, only one you could offer up now is the negative nature of the team not suiting him.

Ngoo lite.

Baxter could well be struggling to play in a poor team, sometimes a player who on paper is a class above the rest just doesn't suit.

I've seen this in my playing days, poor players dont read games the same way, dont make the runs or play the right balls, they can't shift the ball quickly enough and struggle with positional play.

I think this could be one of baxters issues sadly.

And I also though Gardner did ok last night, not fantastic by any means but I noticed later in the game he got slated for a Hollywood pass ( back heel ),  if the other payer had read that right he would have been in on goal but it made gardner look stupid because nepo i think was not on his wavelength.

Anyway a win is a win, poor game and not great to watch but it is what we have got. We could still push play offs with this team.

37 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

Anyone else think Frankie’s post match interview suggests Benteke might have a reputation at the club for not listening (to instructions)?

I haven't seen the interview but Bunn literally grabbed Benteke by the scruff of his neck to give him instructions when he was stood waiting to come on.

47 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

Anyone else think Frankie’s post match interview suggests Benteke might have a reputation at the club for not listening (to instructions)?

I thought it may have been a language barrier thing.  

2 hours ago, ChrisRichard said:

I don't think it was as bad as some are making out. Cheltenham didn't really do anything, Iverson didn't have to make a save which we restricted them to. We looked solid defensively even before the sending off. We pinged the ball about well and made some dencent runs out wide to cross but we werent always sharp enough to shoot when we probably should have done. Our issue is playing the one up front. Which, granted changed when Millar and Benteke came on. I think Bunn needs to be braver with his selection up top. CoG is not to be used as a solo striker and Baxter can not play off him, this has to change otherwise we have a 5 man midfield and a 5 man defence.

We had a 6 man defence last night - Gardner and Missilou sitting in front of the back four, particularly first half. At home to Cheltenham. Grim.

Well I was wondering why Gardner was so quiet and if we would ever score against a team that defended well but offered no threat.  I was wondering what tactical change Bunn might make after a team which offered no threat went down to ten men.  I was wondering why Baxter gets into so many good positions but can't take advantage of them.

At last he made changes and put Lang in the middle with Benteke and Miller wide - wow three up front against a team that offered no threat and as if by magic we scored two.  Will he learn anything?  I guess not.

You know something’s amiss when 300 ST holders cant be bothered turning up. Until the sending off it had 0 v 0 written all over it against a very very poor side who offered absolutely nothing!

We are sitting mid table and just about where we deserve to be. I keep hoping we will get better but haven’t seen anything to suggest that we will.

Champions League coverage didn’t help our cause last night but make no mistake that was an horrendous crowd and should sound the alarm bells off in our ‘empty’ boardroom.

A continuation of our home performances will probably see crowds drop even further and sub 3k crowds will become the norm.

A thoroughly depressing situation and can still see no end to our steady decline!

12 hours ago, kowenicki said:

That was a tactically inept performance. 

Too deep

Too slow

Too cautious. 

Bunn is holding us back with his methods.  

Baxter had to go off despite the boos, he was poor.  

Gardner much improved on Saturday, but still makes some VERY strange decisions in possession.

Hamer, Hunt and Nepo played well imo. 

Clark didn’t play well. Edmundson started well but got worse. 

O’Grady started well and became terrible. 

Miller definitely improved us.

Miller did improve us, but Bentekes movement also caused problems. Nice to see after we played numerous balls across there 6 yard box that one of our strikers finally gambled to the front post on one and got the goal.

Only bit I disagree with is the Baxter comment. Missilou was on a yellow, and doing nothing forward, would have dropped Baxter deep to pull strings. We got there in the end though with 2 decent goals, but Baxter isnt the best player to play up top with the lump ball we play up to O Grady. It literally looks like hes just running around a pin ball table up there.

16 hours ago, League one forever said:

Who’s gonna sack him?

Isn’t the Chairman still waiting to get through customs? 

Unless he texts Barry, and gets him to do it? 

He is still barking his orders. Don't expect Frankie to be here much longer. It'll be cheap as chips (in relative terms) to sack him too...

21 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

He is still barking his orders. Don't expect Frankie to be here much longer. It'll be cheap as chips (in relative terms) to sack him too...

And just who affordable can improve this very ordinary team?

Answers on a postage stamp.