2 hours ago, whittles left foot said:

So Wild with NO managerial experience and Bunn with NO managerial experience manage to get some decent performances out of this squad.

So far our one of the best ever players so he must be good as we kept(keep) being told has managed to waste what little is left of the season by blowing any real hopes of a play off position.

We will never know-but you know whats coming next-would they be any worse?

Like HB I am not calling for his head but believe he should be showing some nous about this game. Worrying.

Wild and Bunn both had man-management experience, if not directly managing a football team.

56 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

The type of managers that could usually dont want to manage Oldham. One manager that could (who himself had a transfer window to rejig the squad) fell out with the current owner and was sacked by him.

Another point here, the reason we have often had to sack managers such as Kelly, Dunn, Robinson and even Dickov is that their was a genuine danger of relegation if it carried on. Therefore the option of giving the manager time became alot more risky.

Giving Scholes time right now to learn is a pretty much risk free option right now we aint going down season ticket sales wont be drastically effected either way I dont think. So its abit to when those people were sacked we know our starting point next season and we can plan for it. What Scholes needs to be doing now is learning as much as possible. If he doesn't he will pay for it with his job and probably any chance he has of making it in management.

Pretty much agree with but 2 points.

If Scholes doesn't work out, he can walk with only his who bruised. 

If we sign big standard players again, I think season ticket sales will be affected quite badly. 

1 hour ago, Wardie said:

He is not a manager yet. He is a high-profile employee of the club, who Lemsagam and the fans hope will turn out to be capable of doing the job, exploiting his contacts and getting the club back into League One. It's a big ask of a rookie, no matter his previous playing career and public profile. At least Bunn and Wild had experience in man-management. Scholes, as far as I am aware, has none.

I'm not disagreeing with your thoughts, just trying to be pragmatic rather than worried.

The wonder of pragmatism...

We have to stick with Scholes (unless he decides to walk which is a probability from what I have heard). Any manager should be given time, at least 12 months IMO, I am sick of the managerial merry go round which we seem to have a monopoly on at our club. Constantly changing is a recipe for disaster. 

• Like 1

A lot is being made of his contacts, but who knows what they are? Maybe he's just like his public persona, and has always kept himself to himself an doesn't have a wide circle of them.

If Lemsagam doesn't back him heavily in the summer, which I doubt he will as he doesn't seemed too flushed with cash, the Scholes will be in exactly the same boat as most managers in this division. Then we'll see hoe good he actually is, which is hopefully a lot better than he's shown so far.

1 hour ago, disjointed said:

We have to stick with Scholes (unless he decides to walk which is a probability from what I have heard). Any manager should be given time, at least 12 months IMO, I am sick of the managerial merry go round which we seem to have a monopoly on at our club. Constantly changing is a recipe for disaster. 

Are you are going to tell us now that Scholes didn't appreciate what he was getting into?

If he walks it's not Lemsamgam's fault this time. We all knew on here.

6 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

Are you are going to tell us now that Scholes didn't appreciate what he was getting into?

If he walks it's not Lemsamgam's fault this time. We all knew on here.

I forgot everyone on here was in the know, my mistake. 

If the performances were generally good, but the results were indifferent I could accept the time argument. However, we look more lethargic under Scholes than we ever did under Bunn and Wild. Whatever stage of a season, or whatever the quality of player, being able to motivate the squad is a prerequisite. How is a player of his stature not seemingly able to motivate them for 90 minutes, particularly so early in his reign? It’s very strange IMO. We all know the squad is poor, but we don’t seem to be doing the non ability stuff, like workrate, and desire. Is he getting the best out of them? 

They say teams play in the mould of their manager. Well we just look tired, and half arsed. 

• Like 4

Scholes inherited a poor, unfit squad that blew its load against Fulham and Doncaster and now due to a long season and heavy pitches cant get it up for lg 2 anti football matches.

Where is the surprise? Next season will show a big difference imo

Edited by palmer1
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, palmer1 said:

Scholes inherited a poor, unfit squad that blew its load against Fulham and Doncaster and now due to a long season and heavy pitches cant get it up for lg 2 anti football matches.

5 more excuses in this post for Scholes recent efforts-the list gets ever longer. Probably the first one being the only one that has any truth in it.

1 hour ago, palmer1 said:

Where is the surprise? Next season will show a big difference imo

The squad was similar for Bunn and Wild, with the exception of Lyden and Surridge. But they only played half the games.

The season is as long as any other seasons and same for every manager.

We've always had a heavy pitch, and worse seasons than this.

Sorry Paul, that doesn't wash...! 😉

Apart from the squad, all the other factors will be the same.

There are no signs AL can afford any more expensive squad, and with the seaon ticket money heavily discounted and potentially already spent possibly less to spend than the current one.

Edited by singe

I expect Paul Scholes to walk away from the job at some point - probably sooner rather than later, or during the summer if I was to bet on it.

For that reason - and because I'm bored of us changing manager and expecting miracles every few months - there's no reason not to stick with him now.

This season is over for us. Unfortunately I don't think Scholes will have much at his disposal to build a new squad for next season that'll be much better than this one.

There are problems that are too deep rooted that will hold us back. Scholes isn't one of them.

32 minutes ago, Nohairdontcare said:

I expect Paul Scholes to walk away from the job at some point - probably sooner rather than later, or during the summer if I was to bet on it.

For that reason - and because I'm bored of us changing manager and expecting miracles every few months - there's no reason not to stick with him now.

This season is over for us. Unfortunately I don't think Scholes will have much at his disposal to build a new squad for next season that'll be much better than this one.

There are problems that are too deep rooted that will hold us back. Scholes isn't one of them.

I personally don’t think Scholes would be here if the budget wasn’t secured to work with next season. 

Really hoping for a massive change around in squad and attitude in the summer. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, adamoafc said:

I personally don’t think Scholes would be here if the budget wasn’t secured to work with next season. 

Really hoping for a massive change around in squad and attitude in the summer. 

That’s what I have been thinking

3 hours ago, whittles left foot said:

5 more excuses in this post for Scholes recent efforts-the list gets ever longer. Probably the first one being the only one that has any truth in it.

Not making excuses just things I've seen over the last 5 months not just in the last 5 weeks.

No reserve games, injured players and players dropped not playing games for weeks at a time plus whether some Oldham fans want to believe it or not but playing Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday, Tuesday on sapping pitches does not help and has been mentioned by lots various managers at one time or another. When was the last time we won 3 games on the bounce Tues, Sat, Tues at this time of year? Yes we aren't good enough which is the main issue but why some Oldham seen intent on ignoring all the issues while just wanting to blame the manager is turning into  the new 'typical latics'.