and Staff.

dunno if l listened to the wrong one for his first but just absorbed the second one and first impressions

hard working

not stubborn 

deep thinker but pretends he is not

quick witted funny guy

knows how to talk to people

absolute wealth of experience

tracksuit physio gets involved

seems another great addition IMO

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

With the greatest of respect, why would they? They've just appointed a head of recruitment and Mr Unsworth says they've got a range of high quality scouts...

That’s a bit shit mate, when someone starts “with the greatest of respect” it means no respect given.

BP 1960 is on the money most of the time and if he was involved in recommending players I’d be happy with that.

With the greatest of respect.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Lukers1 said:

That’s a bit shit mate, when someone starts “with the greatest of respect” it means no respect given.

BP 1960 is on the money most of the time and if he was involved in recommending players I’d be happy with that.

With the greatest of respect.

Didn't take it that way myself but each has their own interpretation I suppose.

Whilst @BP1960 has recommended players previously I can't recollect whether any have materialised directly as a result.

@BP1960 must be commended for regularly putting player's names forward but no doubt the club will have it's own resources although his communications should be acknowledged at the very least. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

With the greatest of respect, why would they? They've just appointed a head of recruitment and Mr Unsworth says they've got a range of high quality scouts...

It's called courtesy after I offered recommendations for no payment.

The proof of the pudding will be players signed. 

13 hours ago, BP1960 said:

It's called courtesy after I offered recommendations for no payment.

The proof of the pudding will be players signed. 

Genuine question BP1960 and sorry if I've missed something in past posts.

Have you been employed in an official capacity as a scout in the football league previously?

I guess clubs get loads of player recommendations and requests for trials?

I think clubs will only listen to credible scouts who they have dealt with before, and know the lead would be good, otherwise they would be led down the garden path on most occasions I recon?

If you have and have had some success then I'd be asking the question why they are ignoring you??

Edited by Londonboy

1 hour ago, Londonboy said:

Genuine question BP1960 and sorry if I've missed something in past posts.

Have you been employed in an official capacity as a scout in the football league previously?

I guess clubs get loads of player recommendations and requests for trials?

I think clubs will only listen to credible scouts who they have dealt with before, and know the lead would be good, otherwise they would be led down the garden path on most occasions I recon?

If you have and have had some success then I'd be asking the question why they are ignoring you??

Well from 1980 I've served Nottingham Forest, where my first recommendation Steve Wigley was signed for £2,000 and did really well. At Forest I worked personally for Ian Storey Moore (a great guy), Leicester City, Coventry City, Derby County, Notts County (for my favourite manager Jimmy Sirrel, who attended matches with me), a short spell at Leeds United and finally Grimsby Town with Russell Slade.

My brief mainly concerned checking out non league players and match assessments for EPL and EFL clubs.

A scout only recommends players and actually most aren't signed as it depends on the managers opinion at the time and club resources. It can be galling to see them sign for other clubs when some later become internationals from non and lower leagues -as happened to me with a teenage Chris Waddle after I was told he'd never make a footballer at any league level.

Managers tend to hire scouts they know and the scouts often follow them to clubs they move on to.

I'm 77yo now and don't get out much nowadays so any players I spot would be local or from teams playing against them - young centre back Adam Crowther of Kings Lynn being an example.

I suppose I'm a dinosaur in the modern game, and as seen in OWTB I can can be very outspoken If I see things at Latics matches I don't like.

I have never lost my eye for a good player or future prospects and can usually pinpoint what's going wrong within the first 15 minutes of a match, with positive suggestions to make changes.

I also watch our opposition and when I see players dominate like Haughton of Fylde , Summerfield of Halifax and Apter of Scunthorpe I say my piece and wish we had players like these.

I await the new signings and hope they can vastly improve team performances and play the exciting attacking football I and I'm sure many fans crave for.

Of the younger current Oldham players I think Will Sutton will go the highest, providing he can overcome his serious injury.

Edited by BP1960
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Well from 1980 I've served Nottingham Forest, where my first recommendation Steve Wigley was signed for £2,000 and did really well. At Forest I worked personally for Ian Storey Moore (a great guy), Leicester City, Coventry City, Derby County, Notts County (for my favourite manager Jimmy Sirrel, who attended matches with me), a short spell at Leeds United and finally Grimsby Town with Russell Slade.

My brief mainly concerned checking out non league players and match assessments for for EPL and EFL clubs.

A scout only recommends players and actually most aren't signed as it depends on the managers opinion at the time and club resources. It can be galling to see them sign for other clubs when  some later become internationals from non and lower leagues -as happened to me with a teenage Chris Waddle after I was told he'd never make a footballer at any league level.

Managers tend to hire scouts they know and the scouts often follow them to clubs they move on to.

I'm 77yo now and don't get out much  nowadays so any players I spot would be local or from teams playing against them.

young centre back Adam Crowther of Kings Lynn being an example.

I suppose I'm a dinosaur in the modern game, and as seen in OWTB I can can be very outspoken If I see things at Latics matches I don't like.

I have never lost my eye for a good player or future prospects and can usually pinpoint what's going wrong within the first 15 minutes of a match, with positive suggestions to make changes.

I also watch our opposition and when I see players dominate like Haughton of Fylde , Summerfield of Halifax and Apter of Scunthorpe I say my piece and wish we had players like these.

I await the new signings and hope they can vastly improve team performances and play the exciting attacking football I and I'm sure many fans crave for.

Of the younger current Oldham players I think Will Sutton will go the highest, providing he can overcome his serious injury.

I think that speaks for itself….👍

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

My brief mainly concerned checking out non league players and match assessments for EPL and EFL clubs.

A scout only recommends players and actually most aren't signed as it depends on the managers opinion at the time and club resources. It can be galling to see them sign for other clubs when some later become internationals from non and lower leagues -as happened to me with a teenage Chris Waddle after I was told he'd never make a footballer at any league level.

I'm 77yo now and don't get out much nowadays so any players I spot would be local or from teams playing against them - young centre back Adam Crowther of Kings Lynn being an example.

Worked at Manchester Town Hall and Steve Wigley worked there before moving to Forest - really nice lad then (guess he still is!), who seems to have enjoyed a decent career coaching after finishing playing.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, mick26 said:

Worked at Manchester Town Hall and Steve Wigley worked there before moving to Forest - really nice lad then (guess he still is!), who seems to have enjoyed a decent career coaching after finishing playing.

He was the teetotal and looked after himself, rose to be an assistant manager for the full England team.

Edited by BP1960