Protest 7/12 - Orient

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, disjointed said:

Pains me to be stood outside the ground minutes before kick off, only to turn and walk away. Thanks 

Also drove away before the game, in spite of it being a two hour round trip. 

Wanted to protest, but just couldn't be bothered going to the game. I want to be bothered. 

Well done to Push The Boundary - I think they'll be pleased with how it went. Thought all the speakers did well, but special praise for the Leyton Orient Trust chap, who didn't have to go out of his way to speak...

3 hours ago, disjointed said:

Pains me to be stood outside the ground minutes before kick off, only to turn and walk away. Thanks Abdallah. 

22 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Disappointing to see the attendance as high as that.

Firstly - a thank you to the organisers of today's protest. Impeccably conducted with representatives from all age groups - very well done.

disjointed - I echo your sentiments. Emotionally, it's been a rotten day actually. I'll admit I felt like a traitor walking away from the ground before the game but I`m sticking firm with my boycott.

deyres - Last season's average attendance was 4364. This season's is 3363 - so 1001 down on last season at present. Today's attendance was 3121. It was interesting listening to and chatting to some fans before the game, who had not protested and were attending the match. There was a variety of views expressed e.g. "I`ve got a season ticket and it's the only reason I`m still going - I won't renew if the owner's still here next year", "It's my habit of a lifetime but I must admit I`m wobbling now too" through to a few colourful comments from those backing the owner. If we continue to perform poorly, I think the season's average will dip a bit more. However, I think next season will be the real acid test i.e. the number of season ticket holders that won't renew if things don't change.

My overriding emotion from today is one of sadness - I dislike seeing Latics fans so divided.

27 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

Firstly - a thank you to the organisers of today's protest. Impeccably conducted with representatives from all age groups - very well done.

disjointed - I echo your sentiments. Emotionally, it's been a rotten day actually. I'll admit I felt like a traitor walking away from the ground before the game but I`m sticking firm with my boycott.

deyres - Last season's average attendance was 4364. This season's is 3363 - so 1001 down on last season at present. Today's attendance was 3121. It was interesting listening to and chatting to some fans before the game, who had not protested and were attending the match. There was a variety of views expressed e.g. "I`ve got a season ticket and it's the only reason I`m still going - I won't renew if the owner's still here next year", "It's my habit of a lifetime but I must admit I`m wobbling now too" through to a few colourful comments from those backing the owner. If we continue to perform poorly, I think the season's average will dip a bit more. However, I think next season will be the real acid test i.e. the number of season ticket holders that won't renew if things don't change.

My overriding emotion from today is one of sadness - I dislike seeing Latics fans so divided.

I have to say I disagree with that last comment today for the first time I felt a sense of unity with the other supporters on the protest march today its was good that we all came together like that the apathy hasnt died their are still a group of us who still care enough to do things like that.

Barry Owen and Mo Lemsagam were both in the directors box today btw.

2 hours ago, wiseowl said:

Last season's average attendance was 4364. This season's is 3363 - so 1001 down on last season at present. Today's attendance was 3121. It was interesting listening to and chatting to some fans before the game, who had not protested and were attending the match.

Looking forward to BB80's view on this...

10 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

The last line above states of Abdallah that ‘he has now agreed to meet supporters’.

If this is true then it's another step forward - well done to all involved. It was a good turnout. 

If he agrees to meet supporters then he needs to agree unconditionally to the following -

1. Immediate removal of his brother as Sporting Director 

2. Funds for DM to sign two decent strikers on loan to reverse the damage caused by his brother

3. If refusal of points 1 & 2 then place for club officially and publicly up for sale for a realistic price 

21 minutes ago, Midsblue said:

If he agrees to meet supporters then he needs to agree unconditionally to the following -

2. Funds for DM to sign two decent strikers on loan to reverse the damage caused by his brother

3. If refusal of points 1 & 2 then place for club officially and publicly up for sale for a realistic price 

None of those things will be on the table and nor should they be expected, it is why I think the time for dialogue has passed.

1 minute ago, deyres42 said:

None of those things will be on the table and nor should they be expected, it is why I think the time for dialogue has passed.

I think you're right - he's already met the fans recently at the forum and, while it might have been cathartic for the fans, didn't really achieve much.

I'm not sure he has the will to change to run the club in the way the fans want..

56 minutes ago, Midsblue said:

33 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

29 minutes ago, JoeP said:

I think you're right - he's already met the fans recently at the forum and, while it might have been cathartic for the fans, didn't really achieve much.

I'm not sure he has the will to change to run the club in the way the fans want..

Agree with @deyres42 - it is unrealistic to make those demands as conditional to the meeting taking place. However I think that there is still time for dialogue. 

This time AL will (hopefully) be meeting with the PTB boys - I trust them to continue to represent the feelings of those dissatisfied with the way the club is being run. I trust them to put the correct questions to Abdallah face to face and not to be swayed by any of his rhetoric .

I also believe that the outcome of this meeting will be pivotal to the approach that will be taken with the next phase of the protest.

1 hour ago, JoeP said:

I think instead of a room full of people if AL meets representatives from PTB they will be able to put the concerns of the wider fan-base across in a more measured way. 

I think the fans' meeting may have helped 'Dino' bring in McCann, Akpa-Akpro and Jones. The signing of Akpa-Akpro may be key for the morale in the dressing room as a Frenchman who has played in England for 10 years he seems ideal for any bridging of cliques. 

I think all fans realise that the club either needs every fan to pay what they can afford to run the club. Or, a rich person, or group of rich people, to fund the club. AL is funding the club currently. Some of the issues he has are left over from Corey's semi-shambolic running of the club. Some issues are stuff Corney didn't (have to) deal with. But even taking those out of the equation AL isn't doing a good enough job. This is mainly because we've bought players who aren't good enough and the ones that are good enough he falls out with on a regular basis. The owner shouldn't be interacting enough with the players to fall out with them that much. I think a Sporting Director can work, but one that will work would be more expensive that Mo presumably is. However, that new Sporting Director might be more cost-effective than Mo because we won't be wasting wages on shite. 

As a final point has AL agreed to meet with PTB? As his comment about meeting with fans doesn't specifically mention them. He can meet, and does meet, with much less critical fans on a regular basis without any issue and still keep his reported word. 

13 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

The last line above states of Abdallah that ‘he has now agreed to meet supporters’.

If this is true then it's another step forward - well done to all involved. It was a good turnout. 

I would agree to the meeting on the condition that Barry Owen will not be there. Going by how he conducted himself in the fans forum. Because nothing will get done. Along with his dismissive attitude towards the fans.

1 hour ago, rudemedic said:

As a final point has AL agreed to meet with PTB? As his comment about meeting with fans doesn't specifically mention them. He can meet, and does meet, with much less critical fans on a regular basis without any issue and still keep his reported word. 

GMR had interview with Natalie Atkinson yesterday, she acknowledged the protest and was aware of the desire of PTB to meet the owner and would hope to arrange said meeting. He is out of country at moment she said but they were willing to engage with any group of fans.

1 hour ago, whittles left foot said:

GMR had interview with Natalie Atkinson yesterday, she acknowledged the protest and was aware of the desire of PTB to meet the owner and would hope to arrange said meeting. He is out of country at moment she said but they were willing to engage with any group of fans.

Conveniently out of the country as he was aware of the protest?

3 hours ago, whittles left foot said:

Change from before then because AL refused to meet with PTB. Hopefully he will now but am not holding my breath.   

A massive thank you to everyone that took time out of their day to join us on the protest. Weeks in the planning and we genuinely don’t think it could have gone any better. We got our message across loud and clear. To those who attended yesterday, you were brilliant! Police confirmed approx 300 in attendance. For those who took part in the returning of the scarves, we have asked the messages are taken inside and the scarves donated to a local homeless charity. We will be following up with the club to ensure this has happened. This is just the start, let’s keep the momentum going. #ReclaimTheFaith

32 minutes ago, adamoafc said:

A massive thank you to everyone that took time out of their day to join us on the protest. Weeks in the planning and we genuinely don’t think it could have gone any better. We got our message across loud and clear. To those who attended yesterday, you were brilliant! Police confirmed approx 300 in attendance. For those who took part in the returning of the scarves, we have asked the messages are taken inside and the scarves donated to a local homeless charity. We will be following up with the club to ensure this has happened. This is just the start, let’s keep the momentum going. #ReclaimTheFaith

Special thanks has got to go to the 4 lads who have shown the bottle to stand up and be counted in the first place and for leading a pressure group designed at winning the club's heart and soul back.

Irrespective of the numbers, there were many more messages of support for the cause from supporters who could not attend and many who I spoke to welcomed the movement even if they did not actively support it.

Many fans feel that they are being represented again by a group that listens to how they feel or are prepared to air their concerns .

Many thanks fellas - great work, you really have galvanised many frustrated and previously apathetic fans. Much more work to do but a great start    

19 minutes ago, unsworth blue said:

Special thanks has got to go to the 4 lads who have shown the bottle to stand up and be counted in the first place and for leading a pressure group designed at winning the club's heart and soul back.

Irrespective of the numbers, there were many more messages of support for the cause from supporters who could not attend and many who I spoke to welcomed the movement even if they did not actively support it.

Many fans feel that they are being represented again by a group that listens to how they feel or are prepared to air their concerns .

Many thanks fellas - great work, you really have galvanised many frustrated and previously apathetic fans. Much more work to do but a great start    

This, it takes a great deal of time and effort to organise something like this, as an older supporter I really appreciate your efforts and you have my backing all the way, we can affect change. 

1 hour ago, adamoafc said:

28 minutes ago, unsworth blue said:

Can't praise each and every one of you highly enough. From the germ of an idea has grown a very substantial supporter's voice that has to be heard.

Surely, AL and co cannot ignore this groundswell of opposition to their (mis)handling of the club we all love. They have given little or no respect to the fan base thus far and it can not, and must not, continue.

My fears are that 1) he will be so pig headed and arrogant that he will still believe he is doing nothing wrong, 2) he will not keep his promise to meet the supporters and 3) drive us deeper into the abyss and blame everyone else.

My hope is that he will, at last, see common sense and understand the damage he has caused. To rectify that, he will have to either completely change his attitude or sell out. And the latter idea must not be to another chancer.

Keep going, lads; fantastic job so far.

Archived