Macclesfield

9 minutes ago, OLDHAMADE said:

Fair play, win the next two games and that should really be a given, even with this lot

I don't see any chance of us going down

How bad must they be though? This is a team of thrown together muppets,.is better. A half decent invest6amd we walk this sorry league its sickening

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, latics22 said:

How bad must they be though? This is a team of thrown together muppets,.is better. A half decent invest6amd we walk this sorry league its sickening

I'm still perplexed as to how we ever ended up here but I guess I'm not alone there

3 hours ago, wiseowl said:

Yes, great times indeed.

It doesn't seem very long ago that everyone was so optimistic that the devil (aka Corney) had been banished back to hell and the saviour had arrived from the east.

Since when, we've been relegated, had a poor first season in the basement division and are now constantly floundering around at the bottom end of the football league.

Marvellous.... simply marvellous.

How does the saying go again? .............

Be careful what you wish for?!?!?! 😩😩😩

How fucking shit was that today, and still folk clapped them at the end!! 🤦🏻‍♂️ What made it worse for me, was getting pissed wet through walking back to the town centre and hearing some Oafc fans saying they was happy with a point FFS!!!!!😳

7 hours ago, oafc21 said:

How fucking shit was that today, and still folk clapped them at the end!! 🤦🏻‍♂️ What made it worse for me, was getting pissed wet through walking back to the town centre and hearing some Oafc fans saying they was happy with a point FFS!!!!!😳

See if they have the same opinion on Tuesday night, where 3 points should be nailed on and same Saturday against a truly dire Carlisle side.

10 hours ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

Absolutely how I feel.  He's still better than the other centre back options for now (doesn't say much) and I think him and Piergianni will be a good enough partnership to keep us away from the relegation spot, but when safety is all but assured I'd have no problem if he didn't play for us again.  Same with most of our permanent players to be honest.

I liked Piergianni at Morecambe,  won the majority of high balls , his positional play got better as the game went on, he is a commumicator, i think him and Wheater could strike up a decent partnership, and this guy who hasnt played much at Salford.. 

Despite the total dominance and best display of the season in the 2nd half that Dino talks about in his interview, just watched the highlights and other than the goal and a self made chance from Smith where he hit the post it doesn’t show one other decent chance being created. 

Macclesfield on the other hand could and probably should have scored 3 or 4.

A fair result with each team dominating a half.  The inability of either team to convert chances explains why both are basement sides.

In the end both goalkeepers culpable.  Referee appears to have had a virtual VAR moment.  When viewed from touchline I'm told by a Macclesfield supporter that it did look like handball and he thought the 4th official in front of him gave the penalty.  In the cold wind the 8 minutes of injury time was painful.

On the plus side I thought Carl P the Salford CB was our man of the match with a much better performance than the hapless disinterested Wheater.  Lets hope he does as well at Stevenage.

I couldn't tell how good Mani D was and looked forward to seeing him do his stuff in the second half but he went off injured.  Chris N'G looked like a player who needs time to settle - his lack of first team football was obvious.

As a team we seemed to think that as we had someone over six foot up front that every ball should just be lumped up the field.  Didn't work.

Poor league 2 football in a biting wind.  The beer was the highlight of the day.

Another poor performance all truth be told.  Dino is taking the p*** in his post match conference suggesting us fans are happy with a bit of running around and chasing. It would also be good to see a bit of football and some chances. Aside from a decent 15 minute spell at the start of the second half, we never looked likely.

Macclesfield, whilst not great, could have been 2 or 3 up before half time but for a couple of decent stops from Woods (who later had a massive brain fart for their goal).

Part of me has sympathy with him given the absolute tripe he has to work with but he doesn’t help himself with his comments - we’re not stupid. 

Scenes for our goal were great - reminded me of how it should be following Latics. The away attendance on the other hand shows just how damaging this regime has been.

2 hours ago, Frankies6 said:

I liked Piergianni at Morecambe,  won the majority of high balls , his positional play got better as the game went on, he is a commumicator, i think him and Wheater could strike up a decent partnership, and this guy who hasnt played much at Salford.. 

Morcambe?, when was that?

1 hour ago, Hands on said:

A fair result with each team dominating a half.  The inability of either team to convert chances explains why both are basement sides.

They didn’t show many chances on the extended highlights. Smith hitting post, smith shot blocked and smith goal. Think that was about it for chances?

Just watched the highlights, just how did Macc not manage to score in the 1st half when 3 on 1?

I’ve also watched the Wheater handball over and over and for me and I don’t think it’s hand ball, how the Lino could call it from his vantage point is beyond me

WTF was Woods doing anyway, he could have easily caught the hoof or at least  punched it clear!!!

Listening to the match, Macc had all the chances and really should have won the game with ease. I still maintain that a big striker will not make any difference to our results, this an awful Oldham side, probably the worst I have ever witnessed!!

************ABDALLAH OUT************

*Puts tin hat on*

I think Wheater handball's it. I know the ref doesn't see it, so I can only presume the 4th official gives the penalty. 

This is compounded by the players' reactions. Their players surround the referee and when the ref gives the penalty, none of our players protest, especially Wheater. If it wasn't handball our players protest should as much as theirs did before it was given, especially in the circumstances. 

That being said, I don't think it's a penalty. As their player makes Woods drop the cross by using his arm. It is my understanding that under the new laws for handball it should be our free-kick. 

Having said that I think a draw might be the fair result. While we created more chances until our goal they had the better chances. We were saved by their pitch in the first half when someone squared it to their striker who was through on goal but the pitch caused him to miscontrol it and affect his shot. 

I was suitably impressed with Piergianni, who I thought played well and didn't need coaching through the games. I'm less sure on Mani, while he did win more headers than Desire or Wilson would have done, he didn't seem to use his height to its fullest. 

Finally something on Macclesfield, the club, they seemed even more dysfunctional than Oldham. I'm aware loads of Latics fans were left outside at kick-off because they had to buy tickets first, something that always seems daft, especially for an open terrace. Furthermore, at HT in the bar queue, they had 2 people serving, but actually this was only 1, as they had 1 person serving and 1 person taking the money. So despite getting in the queue a few minutes before the HT whistle and being a quick drinker, I still missed the 2nd half kick off. I wouldn't be surprised if those people late to the queue missed the first 20 minutes of the 2nd half. For a club that needs the money for one of their biggest games of the season they made it stupidly hard to collect money from away fans. 

5 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

This is compounded by the players' reactions. Their players surround the referee and when the ref gives the penalty, none of our players protest, especially Wheater. If it wasn't handball our players protest should as much as theirs did before it was given, especially in the circumstances. 

In the games I've seen it seems our players don't really protest about decisions that go against us generally. It's as if they can't really be arsed...

2 hours ago, JoeP said:

In the games I've seen it seems our players don't really protest about decisions that go against us generally. It's as if they can't really be arsed...

Dino has told them not to complain to the ref., but now admits it may work.

I thought the ref. could only give what he has seen. The 4th official shouldn't have a view on it. He is simply their to take the flak from the managers, not help the ref. Or am I wrong?

14 minutes ago, al_bro said:

Dino has told them not to complain to the ref., but now admits it may work.

I thought the ref. could only give what he has seen. The 4th official shouldn't have a view on it. He is simply their to take the flak from the managers, not help the ref. Or am I wrong?

4th officials are definitely allowed to get involved with decisions. TBH the other referee's assistant could also have gotten involved

Fair play to those fans that made the effort to go on Saturday. 

872 hardy souls apparently....but less than half of the quoted 1,826 last season and we know that there were quite a few more in amongst the home fans.

To me this should be the clearest sign yet to the clowns in charge, that many fans are just about done with the club until they fuck off.

My guess is less than 100 will be at Stevenage tomorrow, even with me and a Rotherham supporting mate, and think we will be lucky to get 2,500 at home on Saturday with the protest etc.

#ReclaimTheFaith gathering momentum I hope!

50 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

Fair play to those fans that made the effort to go on Saturday. 

872 hardy souls apparently....but less than half of the quoted 1,826 last season and we know that there were quite a few more in amongst the home fans.

To me this should be the clearest sign yet to the clowns in charge, that many fans are just about done with the club until they fuck off.

My guess is less than 100 will be at Stevenage tomorrow, even with me and a Rotherham supporting mate, and think we will be lucky to get 2,500 at home on Saturday with the protest etc.

#ReclaimTheFaith gathering momentum I hope!

Isn't it a fiver on Saturday? If so that will be a test of the teams attraction 

15 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Isn't it a fiver on Saturday? If so that will be a test of the teams attraction 

All the "in for a fiver" will do is show an inflated gate/home support for one game. At which point, the Two Lemmys (perfect name for a comedy duo) will see it as vindication and will then wonder where they've all gone the following home game.

16 minutes ago, Bristolatic said:

All the "in for a fiver" will do is show an inflated gate/home support for one game. At which point, the Two Lemmys (perfect name for a comedy duo) will see it as vindication and will then wonder where they've all gone the following home game.

I think the fiver is for the mansfield game? 

8 minutes ago, Chris15Arm said:

I think the fiver is for the mansfield game? 

Correct, it's season ticket holders bring a friend for a fiver for the Crawley game. I'm one and can't think of a single friend or relative who'd go with me for free.

https://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/news/2019/december/18122019-bring-a-friend-for-5-reminder/

Archived