MATCH: Tranmere

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We offered nothing tonight.  Plan A didn't work and the only attacking player we had on the bench to change it up was Grant...who we didn't use.

If you want to see the difference between the top and bottom of our league then compare Tranmere to Bradford.  The difference isn't the technical ability because that's fairly similar, it's the discipline and professionalism.  Bradford barely had any, Tranmere had Clarke, Spearing and Vaughan as the spine of their team.

We've shown flashes of quality this season, but those are the teams that you have to be up for the scrap against.  We were obviously found wanting tonight.

Just now, the_mighty_bosh said:

We offered nothing tonight.  Plan A didn't work and the only attacking player we had on the bench to change it up was Grant...who we didn't use.

If you want to see the difference between the top and bottom of our league then compare Tranmere to Bradford.  The difference isn't the technical ability because that's fairly similar, it's the discipline and professionalism.  Bradford barely had any, Tranmere had Clarke, Spearing and Vaughan as the spine of their team.

We've shown flashes of quality this season, but those are the teams that you have to be up for the scrap against.  We were obviously found wanting tonight.

Correct, DKD and Garrity too weak against this sort of opposition.

Can't understand what Ntwambe brings to the team.

As for Diarra, he's no centre back for sure.

1 hour ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Rowe was shite, I mean look at all the quality service he got.

Not enough movement in midfield and no imagination

The midfield seem to get the ball in some reasonable areas, but their passing is borderline amateur.

Like really basic passes just not sticking. Not just one or two per game - like half a dozen.

That's basically been the problem for all the bad games. Give possession away cheaply = increased pressure on defence = more opposition chances = more opposition goals. 

We are suited more for games played away from  Boundary Park.. Had no answers tonight against tranmere  and sadly Plan A didn't work and we didn't have a Plan B unfortunately. We got beat fair and square against a well organised team who will be up there come the end of season. 

Garrity is not good enough and I’m really surprised there’s any debate on that. 

Ntambwe is clearly not the most gifted player in the world but does at least serve a purpose of breaking up

play.

Really hard to watch that and felt as though the final whistle put us out of our misery. 

Experience all through Tranmere’s team but of course anyone over the age of 32 has no use at this level... Not surprised one bit that we lost tonight and I think Tranmere are a very safe bet for a top 7 finish.

That said I’m not going to lose my shit over it. This is where we’re at at the moment - quality up front but nothing in the middle to provide service. Sets us up ok as an away side but we’ll struggle at home until at least Jan when I’m praying we bring in someone who can put their foot on the ball.

Trannys had 2 good players Vaughan and  Clarke.Wosh we had them in our team and I never understood why we let our best captain for a long time go .He is still  a fit and quality player .

Our passing was poor and they ganged up in numbers when we had the ball.Too many passes given away.Only one decent shot on goal and we deserved  nothing.

I didnt start watching until thec20th minute  so do not know why we played in the away kit unless it was to make the players think we were playing away!!

Sometimes you lose 1-0 at home and it’s just one of those games, it happens. Tonight was not one of those games, tonight just showed up the underlying weakness in the squad and the gap between us and the better sides.

We have enough quality upfront to get a result against any team in this division, but the reality is most of the top half teams will do to us what Tranmere did tonight (and what Salford, Orient, Morecambe (😱)have done already and Cambridge will like likely do on Saturday). Nous, physicality, experience and organisation will usually trump our lightweight midfield, all round inexperience and one or two striking weaknesses in our starting 11.

Occasionally one of the better sides will have an off day, the rub of the green will favour us or our quality front three will create something special and we will win a game or two  against the better sides (eg Cheltenham and Exeter).

Whether we finish somewhere in the third quadrant or looking over our shoulder in the bottom six will depend on how we perform against the proper dross in this division. So far our record here is mixed, and that is why the abject performance vs Scunthorpe (although to be fair they are picking up now) was far more disappointing than tonight’s somewhat inevitable defeat.

it’s not all bad though, in Dearnley, Rowe , McAleny and Bamboozler we have some proper attacking quality at this level and we will hopefully score plenty of goals, with more than a few crackers.
We do though need to be honest with ourselves. Seventeenthish is where we are headed unless we swap four or five of our current first team squad in January for upgrades and reinstate a fully fit Wheater.

Two midfielders and a right back are the minimum we need for the starting 11,  but I doubt Mo agrees, and as much as I am starting to warm to Kewell I suspect he has such a high opinion of himself that he probably believes he can turn Garretty into Gerrard and Fage into Dennis Irwin.

I very much hope I’m wrong...

Tonight’s performance was baffling given the recent upturn in form. It epitomised our season to date. Inconsistency continues to he our Achilles heel.

It was a cagey nervous start by both sides - with too many misplaced passes and headers. Rowe had one powerful shot that went close as did McAleny - and Garrity flicked a good headed chance wide. That was about the extent of our threat on goal. 

For the goal we didn’t clear our lines and when the ball came back in two Latics defenders getting in each other’s way allowed Vaughan to score.

It looked to me like it was a game too many in a short time for some - a number had poor games tonight.

Tranmere kept it simple and we had no answer. 

We also saw a strangely subdued performance from Rowe. Whereas Fage and  Garrity continually gave the ball away and others showed poor technique. Only McAleny performed well. Are these these the same players that looked so good at Bradford? 

We don’t seem to have any idea how to play at home in the league - very disappointing. 

An abject display and it’s a sobering thought that we have lost 6 out of 8 at home in the league 😱

27 minutes ago, Andy Barlow’s dietician said:

Sometimes you lose 1-0 at home and it’s just one of those games, it happens. Tonight was not one of those games, tonight just showed up the underlying weakness in the squad and the gap between us and the better sides.

We have enough quality upfront to get a result against any team in this division, but the reality is most of the top half teams will do to us what Tranmere did tonight (and what Salford, Orient, Morecambe (😱)have done already and Cambridge will like likely do on Saturday). Nous, physicality, experience and organisation will usually trump our lightweight midfield, all round inexperience and one or two striking weaknesses in our starting 11.

Occasionally one of the better sides will have an off day, the rub of the green will favour us or our quality front three will create something special and we will win a game or two  against the better sides (eg Cheltenham and Exeter).

Whether we finish somewhere in the third quadrant or looking over our shoulder in the bottom six will depend on how we perform against the proper dross in this division. So far our record here is mixed, and that is why the abject performance vs Scunthorpe (although to be fair they are picking up now) was far more disappointing than tonight’s somewhat inevitable defeat.

it’s not all bad though, in Dearnley, Rowe , McAleny and Bamboozler we have some proper attacking quality at this level and we will hopefully score plenty of goals, with more than a few crackers.
We do though need to be honest with ourselves. Seventeenthish is where we are headed unless we swap four or five of our current first team squad in January for upgrades and reinstate a fully fit Wheater.

Two midfielders and a right back are the minimum we need for the starting 11,  but I doubt Mo agrees, and as much as I am starting to warm to Kewell I suspect he has such a high opinion of himself that he probably believes he can turn Garretty into Gerrard and Fage into Dennis Irwin.

Good post.

It all comes down to how we measure progress, and whether you’re expectant or pragmatic. Personally I’m the latter. 

If we finish mid table having scored  and conceded loads, and with a couple of good cup runs; then after the last season I’ll take that as moving in the right direction. 

7 hours ago, League one forever said:

Good post.

It all comes down to how we measure progress, and whether you’re expectant or pragmatic. Personally I’m the latter. 

If we finish mid table having scored  and conceded loads, and with a couple of good cup runs; then after the last season I’ll take that as moving in the right direction. 

We've gone from perennial League one survivors to League two strugglers. I refuse to pay for games so I've only seen highlights and the two FA cup matches. The concensus is that the defence is crying out for the experience of Wheater. He's willing to play but ALMO’s intransigence is preventing that. The midfield players recruited by ALMO are generally too weak against all but the poorest teams. We have some good attacking players that will get us some goals. If we lose Rowe to tiredness, injury or if he's sold then those goals are likely to dry up. Home form is dire and our coach doesn't seem to have a strategy against teams that don't come on to us and leave themselves exposed. 

If you set the bar low enough you might be able to say they're successful. Slightly less shit than last season doesn't cut it for me. 

Did I mention the Joe Royle stand? Their total contempt for the fan in that situation completely pisses me off. 

Abdallah out. 

9 hours ago, Andy Barlow’s dietician said:

Your post made some valid points but you went and ruined it with your final sentence 🙄

I see this quite often - ‘I could be wrong’ or ‘I hope I’m wrong’ ... talk about stating the bleeding obvious...

So either you’re not totally convinced of validity of the points you make or you’re adding the statement to show that you really do care...

Either way it’s a cop out in my opinion. 

Oh... and welcome to the forum btw 😉

1 hour ago, Magic Mikey said:

We've gone from perennial League one survivors to League two strugglers. I refuse to pay for games so I've only seen highlights and the two FA cup matches. The concensus is that the defence is crying out for the experience of Wheater. He's willing to play but ALMO’s intransigence is preventing that. The midfield players recruited by ALMO are generally too weak against all but the poorest teams. We have some good attacking players that will get us some goals. If we lose Rowe to tiredness, injury or if he's sold then those goals are likely to dry up. Home form is dire and our coach doesn't seem to have a strategy against teams that don't come on to us and leave themselves exposed. 

If you set the bar low enough you might be able to say they're successful. Slightly less shit than last season doesn't cut it for me. 

Did I mention the Joe Royle stand? Their total contempt for the fan in that situation completely pisses me off. 

Abdallah out. 

Fair enough.

What is progress then?

Top half? Top 7? 

41 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Your post made some valid points but you went and ruined it with your final sentence 🙄

I see this quite often - ‘I could be wrong’ or ‘I hope I’m wrong’ ... talk about stating the bleeding obvious...

So either you’re not totally convinced of validity of the points you make or you’re adding the statement to show that you really do care...

Either way it’s a cop out in my opinion. 

Oh... and welcome to the forum btw 😉

I'd much rather you tak about all of of the other points than your esoteric grammatical one as none of them are invalidated.

We have something to build on, a long way to go, lets hope we can improve in January's window.

I say hope, as we cannot change what will happen.

47 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

We won the passing, wouldn't  have expected that after 20mins. Suppose, late on, they were jus lettin us have the ball in front of them. They're going up, they're a really good team.

13/2 for automatic promotion and 22s for the title look good value based on yesterday's showing and who they have in their squad and their manager. 

3 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

13/2 for automatic promotion and 22s for the title look good value based on yesterday's showing and who they have in their squad and their manager. 

9/1 yesterday so I took £50 from the Athens spends and lobbed it on them. Lost over a grand in monopolised paid for trips when it was cancellled first time round, so I won't be as bitter paying again if I use magic money 🤞🏻

Surely HK realises the midfield is too lightweight and will be bullied my many teams in this division, especially at home where the opposition tend to steam roller them.

HK should be pressing MO for a couple of players in January as priority.

As for right back why isn't Jambotti given a chance there as it's his first choice position?

Archived