January Transfer Window

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, League one forever said:

Doubt he would want to stay beyond the end of the season anyway, we’re just a shop window these days. 

Get your point but at the start of the season no one else wanted him so he signed for little old us.and hes been a reasonably successful signing even if hes only here a year.

8 minutes ago, astottie said:

Get your point but at the start of the season no one else wanted him so he signed for little old us.and hes been a reasonably successful signing even if hes only here a year.

Oh course he has. He’s been great. I just don’t think he’ll go begging this summer, like he did last. An if you’ve got a choice, you wouldn’t choose us. 

10 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

McAleny will be using this year to get goals and move on. He’s achieved enough already to get offers from league 1. 

Definitely and possibly lower championship, although I'm sure they'll be much better prospects on offer than rotting away down here for another season with Bradford.

48 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Oh course he has. He’s been great. I just don’t think he’ll go begging this summer, like he did last. An if you’ve got a choice, you wouldn’t choose us. 

Yep dont disagree 

12 minutes ago, GKing521 said:

Bradford supporting mate of mine. Really praying it's bollocks but wouldn't surprise me to see him shipped off for a bag of quavers. 

I can't see us getting rid of another one of our better players, it would totally show a total lack of ambition. If it does happen I suppose we could get another Barnes type player. 

If he doesn’t want to be at our club then he can go. Would prefer to keep a committed McAleney but he drifts in and out of games too much to get too disappointed if he leaves. Recent recruitment has been promising, we need some cash so let Bradford slip us some more, they won’t progress much with Rowe and Mac up front.

Ignoring his penalty v Harrogate on Boxing Day I think he's scored 3 in his last 9 starts, so not the strike rate of earlier in the season. If we have to let him go for financial reasons we really should be looking for a good fee. PTB's interview with the CEO suggests we've already knocked back one offer, which gives some comfort.

22 hours ago, League one forever said:

Doubt he would want to stay beyond the end of the season anyway, we’re just a shop window these days. 

Not sure about that.....there are thousands of unemployed footballers of very similar standard to each other .....if you reckon each ot the 92 clubs has an average first team squad of 25 that is just 2300 first team footballers in the entire country . ( by comparison that is about the same number as there are in each school year in Oldham )  Contracts are hard to come by and run of the mill pros can’t be fancy dans about who and for whom they play

36 minutes ago, Stainrod said:

If he doesn’t want to be at our club then he can go. Would prefer to keep a committed McAleney but he drifts in and out of games too much to get too disappointed if he leaves. Recent recruitment has been promising, we need some cash so let Bradford slip us some more, they won’t progress much with Rowe and Mac up front.

Really .....but I thought people on here  thought the former was the best centre forward in the league and the latter is one of the top scorers 

14 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

Ignoring his penalty v Harrogate on Boxing Day I think he's scored 3 in his last 9 starts, so not the strike rate of earlier in the season. If we have to let him go for financial reasons we really should be looking for a good fee. PTB's interview with the CEO suggests we've already knocked back one offer, which gives some comfort.

Can we ignore penalty and free kick goals then? Where does that leave the already mediocre goal return of our departed number 9 

33 minutes ago, Sheep Foot said:

Not sure about that.....there are thousands of unemployed footballers of very similar standard to each other .....if you reckon each ot the 92 clubs has an average first team squad of 25 that is just 2300 first team footballers in the entire country . ( by comparison that is about the same number as there are in each school year in Oldham )  Contracts are hard to come by and run of the mill pros can’t be fancy dans about who and for whom they play

The lad has scored 14 goals in half a season, how many players have we had in recent memory who have achieved 14 goals in a full season, that is why other clubs are looking at him.

The majority of the games he has played have been out on the wing.

Not a bad return considering.

There might be thousands of similar standard players out there and we have had more than our fair share of them, but it is players above that standard we want to be attracting, otherwise we will continue to have a large turnover of players without achieving any sort of success.

Archived