MATCH: vs Cambridge United (H) 13/03/21

image.png

Referee appointed: B.Huxtable.

Was the referee in the win against Cambridge at Abbey Stadium in December. Does this usually happen? It's likely to change. Anyway...

Cambridge United: Yellow; Dunk.
Latics: Yellow; Grant, McCalmont, McAleny, Borthwick-Jackson.

League Appointments 12-17th March

image.png

Latics:

Not won at home in 3 games.
Not scored in 3 games.
One win in 7 games.

Cambridge United:

16 points out of last 30.

Paul Mullin is L2 top scorer.

>> Prediction League: https://owtbpredictionleague.azurewebsites.net/

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll be interested to see what changes Curle makes to Tuesday's lineup and formation.  If we go with the same I can see us being in real trouble as Cambridge will be much more clinical than Vale.  We need to have some form of attacking plan.

Usually I'd have more patience for a manager/head coach to work out how to get the most out of a squad, but as Curle's only currently here for the short term he needs to work it out immediately.

We played very well against them last time and deserved to win, but we got a lot of things right on that day.  Let's hope that Curle finds a way.

8 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

I'll be interested to see what changes Curle makes to Tuesday's lineup and formation.  If we go with the same I can see us being in real trouble as Cambridge will be much more clinical than Vale.  We need to have some form of attacking plan.

Usually I'd have more patience for a manager/head coach to work out how to get the most out of a squad, but as Curle's only currently here for the short term he needs to work it out immediately.

We played very well against them last time and deserved to win, but we got a lot of things right on that day.  Let's hope that Curle finds a way.

He's a bit hamstrung whatever he wants to do.

Present:

Piergianni

Diarra

Badan

Adams

Jombati

Fage

Jameson

Absent:

Clarke

No idea:

Borthwick Jackson

Good luck to anyone trying to construct a solid defence out of that gang

57 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Present:

Piergianni

Diarra

Badan

Adams

Jombati

Fage

Jameson

Absent:

Clarke

No idea:

Borthwick Jackson

I'd say the best you can do there is 

Badan - Jameson, Piergianni, Diarra - Adams

Main thing is to have Hilssner in the middle and Badan out wide, rather than have a replay of the Vale game.

21 minutes ago, SweeperKeeper said:

Main thing is to have Hilssner in the middle and Badan out wide, rather than have a replay of the Vale game.

Maybe but then it impacts further forward, particularly on Bahamboula. When we have a player like him four at the back would seem logical. All goes to show both the paucity of our squad and its imbalance 

30 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott2 said:

Diarra will have to miss out under the concussion rule won't he...?

Didn't he say in his postmatch that it wasn't concussion but a smash in the mouth? Might just be semantics but he didn't indicate a concussion.

19 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Maybe but then it impacts further forward, particularly on Bahamboula. When we have a player like him four at the back would seem logical. All goes to show both the paucity of our squad and its imbalance 

Fully agree - our squad says four at the back, Curle says five.  You can't square that circle.

30 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Diarra won’t be playing. Fage deserves to start. 

I agree that Fage deserves a chance, but he's not really a like for like swap  for Diarra though.  The choice is more between Fage or Badan, I think.

If Diarra can't play, then we are more likely to see Jombati play.  

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

Present:

Piergianni

Diarra

Badan

Adams

Jombati

Fage

Jameson

Absent:

Clarke

No idea:

Borthwick Jackson

Jameson is still suspended for this one. BorthwickJackson (?), Clarke injured. Unsure about Diarra.

Jombati, Piergianni, Sutton are the three centre-backs to choose from

😱

2 hours ago, SweeperKeeper said:

Agreed and left wing back would seem to be a natural position for Badan from what he's shown so far, although Fage did well in that role when he came on so I wouldn't be surprised to see him start on Saturday.

The XI I'd probably start with would be:

Lawlor

Jombati

Piergianni

Diarra (assuming he's available, otherwise it'll have to be Badan or Sutton)

Adams

Ntambwe

Hilßner

Fage

Bahamboula

Grant

McAleny

I think Jameson will be straight in at left centre back for Scunthorpe which would allow CBJ, Badan and Fage (if he keeps his place) to battle it out for the left wing-back role.  I actually think this squad would be quite suited to playing three at the back and wing-backs with the players we have when fit, but the lack of options for Saturday puts that into question.

In midfield Hilßner needs to move centrally which would give us strength alongside Ntambwe, and Grant coming in up front would allow Bahamboula to play from deeper.

For me, Saturday is all about the players.

Irrespective of who the first team coach is or what formation we are setup to play, it’s surely not too much to ask that the team does the basics right when the players cross the white line.

pass the ball to a teammate, bring the ball under control when you receive a pass, move the ball on quickly, don’t panic when pressed, stay alert, stop kicking the ball into touch, shoot etc etc

Too many players have gone missing recently and it’s time that they stepped up.

8 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Irrespective of who the first team coach is or what formation we are setup to play, it’s surely not too much to ask that the team does the basics right when the players cross the white line.

pass the ball to a teammate, bring the ball under control when you receive a pass, move the ball on quickly, don’t panic when pressed, stay alert, stop kicking the ball into touch, shoot etc etc

That was the most productive part of our game on Tuesday  -stopped all the other failings while it was out of play!

11 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

That was the most productive part of our game on Tuesday  -stopped all the other failings while it was out of play!

If only it was like when we were kids and we only had one ball...
We used to play on Werneth Park and it could often take five minutes for someone to go and ‘fag the ball’ - mind you game used to last for hours 😃

1 hour ago, TheBigDog said:

Do u remember who u support ?

2 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

35 minutes ago, latics22 said:

Do u remember who u support ?

I can handle inconsistency at our level, but by implication that means sometimes they get right and sometimes they don’t. However far to many are consistently poor, as in they can’t pass or control a football. Which for professional players is alarming.  

Curle said in his interview his aim was to get men behind the ball and outnumber them in key areas. So that’s his initial away from home tactic. Interested to see how he plays at home. It’s will be 3-5-2 as he always plays that but hoping there is more emphasis on attack for home games.

plus 3-5-2 doesn’t get the best out of baha so he will need to work out how he gets him in the game as he’s our match winner 

20 minutes ago, Careca9 said:

Curle said in his interview his aim was to get men behind the ball and outnumber them in key areas. So that’s his initial away from home tactic. Interested to see how he plays at home. It’s will be 3-5-2 as he always plays that but hoping there is more emphasis on attack for home games.

plus 3-5-2 doesn’t get the best out of baha so he will need to work out how he gets him in the game as he’s our match winner 

You would have to hope that Curle doesn't see Bambam as a luxury, it may harm any slim chance we have of keeping him next season. 

48 minutes ago, Careca9 said:

The manager coming in during a season should surely play a formation to suit the players at his disposal, not his preferred setup. Bam is not a lone striker, and if Grant is fit he has to play. Shows the stupidity of selling Rowe before getting a replacement in. 

3 hours ago, League one forever said:

However far to many are consistently poor, as in they can’t pass or control a football. Which for professional players is alarming.  

This is what perplexes me the most about a number of our current squad - alarming indeed.😲

3 hours ago, disjointed said:

You would have to hope that Curle doesn't see Bambam as a luxury, it may harm any slim chance we have of keeping him next season. 

He might not start him.

Archived