BPAS PODCAST: 17th May '21 Episode 35: Barry Owen

Really good Podcast

Interesting that supporters hang on every word that explayers and exmanagers have said about the club owners but automatically dispel anything Barry Owen said 

Needs fully digesting but there are some gold nuggets in those 2hours

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
59 minutes ago, PeteG said:

Some interesting points, be interesting to see if the OEC take up the offer to come back with their take on why the stand is currently closed. If it is about tickets being shown, why would the OEC not comply if it meant the stand could be opened? I think what is clear, we need an owner who has the willingness/funds to buy the club and the ground or we will die eventually.

That whole North Stand conversation was absolutely ridiculous, I can't even comprehend how that has been allowed to drag on for over 12 months with nobody coming up with a solution. It seems peoples ego's are more important than actually opening the stand, it's truly an embarrassing situation for all involved.

1 hour ago, League one forever said:

Well done Matt. 👍🏻

So. . 

AL wants 5 million.

Blitz wants 6 million. 

Wigan went for 3 million all in. 

Not really a fair comparison against Wigan's £3M tag as they also sold players for £7.5M as well as the training ground and chippy plus administration costs.

£6M for the ground isn't too unrealistic but AL is in cloud cuckoo land not Dubai if he thinks he'll get anywhere near £5M.

52 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Is there a target for how much this initiative would like to raise/thinks it is conceivable to raise?

Hi Dave, we have  what is hopefully a reasonable longer term target. It's the first of a number of initiatives, so is not the main income earner. We don't want to be specific just yet as too small loses confidence and the criticism might derail it. If it's too big a target then we might justifiably accused of being unrealistic. However, we will be publishing figures regularly as it's the Contingency Fund, and a totaliser type record.

That said, I can reveal we've taken over £1,000 in the first 24 hours, the majority taking advatange of the annual play option -a pleasant surprise. We had modest ambitions in these early days as a lot of trust has to be regained.
I appreciate you asking.

16 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

Why?

What an odd question.  Because other clubs have used the same process and I imagine it's possible to see what they raised and as part of a wider plan decide that it is a good use of limited resources which is likely to yield a decent return; basic business.  I'm well aware there are no guarantees.

2 minutes ago, singe said:

Hi Dave, we have  what is hopefully a reasonable longer term target. It's the first of a number of initiatives, so is not the main income earner. We don't want to be specific just yet as too small loses confidence and the criticism might derail it. If it's too big a target then we might justifiably accused of being unrealistic. However, we will be publishing figures regularly as it's the Contingency Fund, and a totaliser type record.

That said, I can reveal we've taken over £1,000 in the first 24 hours, the majority taking advatange of the annual play option -a pleasant surprise. We had modest ambitions in these early days as a lot of trust has to be regained.
I appreciate you asking.

Fair enough, a good explanation at this stage.  Cheers

9 minutes ago, mick26 said:

Not really a fair comparison against Wigan's £3M tag as they also sold players for £7.5M as well as the training ground and chippy plus administration costs.

£6M for the ground isn't too unrealistic but AL is in cloud cuckoo land not Dubai if he thinks he'll get anywhere near £5M.

6 million is far to much. He’ll never get that. Fair enough about Wigan comparison, but my point stands. We’re vastly overpriced. 

53 minutes ago, League one forever said:

6 million is far to much. He’ll never get that. Fair enough about Wigan comparison, but my point stands. We’re vastly overpriced. 

I don't think I'm revealing too much wrong by saying that the Lottery target is not £11 million 😉

Really good interview.

Don't actually think he came off as badly as I was expecting. 

Luis Enrique hit the nail on the head. We need dynamism everywhere - at fan, management, team and board level. And there seems to be none of that anywhere at the moment and hasn't been for many years..

One question that I thought might have been asked regarding the North Stand was.....

Paul Whitehead (OEC) has repeatedly asked for a meeting with OAFC but has been rebuffed every time...Why?

Is it because he’s part of the FLG?

If a solution is to be found then the parties involved have to at least talk to one another!!

I genuinely thought (naively) the forum would be alive today after the podcast. But there are hardly any posts or debate about what was discussed. I totally understand- sign of the times. 

Is there nothing left to say anymore until they’re gone then? 

Feels like it. 

6 minutes ago, League one forever said:

I genuinely thought (naively) the forum would be alive today after the podcast. But there are hardly any posts or debate about what was discussed. I totally understand- sign of the times. 

Feels like it. 

I didn’t disagree with a lot of what he said - though I disagreed with his tone 

I did actually see his point when it came to fan ownership - yes it’s a great idea but you need to money and business sense from those fans - with the best will in the world - me and a few others will not see the club survive a week

Salford is “fan owned” those fans just happen to be multi millionaires - Newport’s board work for nothing (according to Barry) I certainly couldn’t give up my job to look after a football club for nothing.

I don’t like the guy or how he comes across but he did say a lot today to agree with again on Mo and treatment of Jamie and I do agree with him on Brooke and the OEC - I have spoken with Brooke back when AL first took over and he was gushing about AL and could see why Barry was taken back on but now he snipes from the sidelines and doesn’t ever give anything as to why he was sacked so soon after taking the commercial role 

the whole thing is a mess but I will give Barry his due for coming on 

Almost felt sorry for Owen, parts of it seemed like an attempted hatchet job and he's clearly still upset at his nature of his departure.

On the other side though you can see how his negative attitude has seeped into the overall culture of the club, going to take a lot of time and effort to turn around.

53 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Feels like it. 

I don't think there's anything left to say...

We all know what the problem is and there doesn't seem to be an abundance of ideas (or compromise) to take things forward.  

I wanted Barry to come out with a load of things that we could argue against, but the fact is he confirmed a lot of things that we already sort of knew about the way the club is being run and it just even more points to us being absolutely knackered.

Incompetent people who don't even try to hide the fact they don't really care where the football club ends up are in charge of it's destiny. Grim.

1 hour ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

I didn’t disagree with a lot of what he said - though I disagreed with his tone 

I did actually see his point when it came to fan ownership - yes it’s a great idea but you need to money and business sense from those fans - with the best will in the world - me and a few others will not see the club survive a week

Salford is “fan owned” those fans just happen to be multi millionaires - Newport’s board work for nothing (according to Barry) I certainly couldn’t give up my job to look after a football club for nothing.

I don’t like the guy or how he comes across but he did say a lot today to agree with again on Mo and treatment of Jamie and I do agree with him on Brooke and the OEC - I have spoken with Brooke back when AL first took over and he was gushing about AL and could see why Barry was taken back on but now he snipes from the sidelines and doesn’t ever give anything as to why he was sacked so soon after taking the commercial role 

the whole thing is a mess but I will give Barry his due for coming on 

Fan ownership would be difficult, but we know from PTB they’ve turned 4 bids in the last year. When Matt asked about bids he mumbled and said he didn’t know. He claims investment would be very difficult and who would put the money in, then later said he knew someone himself interested in the club. His answer kept changing to suit the question. His inability to see any positive outcome was indicative of his outlook of the club. It was therefore absolute cringe to listen to his ‘concerns,’ when until Karl showed up he hadn’t said a word in months or years. In fact he had gone out of his way to defend them. 

The one thing that I agreed with him on, and I’ve always said it might myself. Is that ultimately egomaniacs with a few quid very rarely listen to advice or keep people in the loop. It’s their money and they do what they want, when they want. The 3 tools ultimately didn’t include the board. Corney didn’t financially include them, and ALMO haven’t included them. It’s was a very fair point. 

I finished the pod with the impression of inarticulate, ego driven man. Who loved being on the inside of the club he supported. (Wouldn’t we all to certain extent) Who would still gladly be there if Karl hadn’t taken over with Mo, and is gutted he has been sidelined. 

14 minutes ago, JoeP said:

I don't think there's anything left to say...

We all know what the problem is and there doesn't seem to be an abundance of ideas (or compromise) to take things forward.  

I wanted Barry to come out with a load of things that we could argue against, but the fact is he confirmed a lot of things that we already sort of knew about the way the club is being run and it just even more points to us being absolutely knackered.

Incompetent people who don't even try to hide the fact they don't really care where the football club ends up are in charge of it's destiny. Grim.

Yeah, the conversation about Kewell was throughly predictable. 

I've no doubt that over the time of his involvement Mr Owen has done lots of useful work at the club and I've equally little doubt that it's not really been at a commercial rate. What i do doubt is whether it was necessary for him to be a director of the club to do the work he's done and whether he should have stayed on as a director for as long as he did once it was clear that, rightly or wrongly, his presence had become toxic and it was equally clear that under two regimes the owners were not treating him as a director should be treated. 

What worries me is the point that the club needed to borrow the “strings attached” loans from the EFL, as well as AL has adopting a cut your losses approach to the season tickets ( starting early at a reduced rate).

It all smacks of a grab on whatever funds he can get then put the club into receivership. It doesn’t suggest AL still wants to support the club with his own money.

54 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott2 said:

It's all going to come to an almighty head some point soon, isn't it...?

Not sure it's an indicator, but someone has graffitied the family stand walls with "Mo please go" and "stop killing our club" - If he doesn't know how hated he is he is thicker than I thought

Archived