MATCH: vs Leyton Orient (H) 29/03/22

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When the pressure was really on and coming off the back of Saturday's heartbreak, the whole team were magnificent to a man.

It was as good as it gets and if we play anywhere near that at Stevenage, we win.

Still clicking my heels, a brilliant night.

16 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

The one obvious caveat to a tremendous performance. One own goal and a gift. Their keeper didn't make a save that I couldn't have made. No great shock so if Luamba is fit and comes back who is left out? 

I think you are taking the gloss off it a bit. Own goals are most often produced under extreme pressure and whether or not the 'keeper decides to come up for a corner, the goal still has to be produced through open play. I wouldn't call it a gift. Orient have won three on the bounce, so I would bet they expected to win last night and as the report on the BBC site says, Orient hardly got a look-in.

I didn't expect the win, I was over the moon when I checked the result because I couldn't stomach to have the latest scores up on the screen. Saturday's game has now taken on even more importance and I probably won't be able to keep tabs on it. My fingers and toes will be well and truly crossed.

24 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

The one obvious caveat to a tremendous performance. One own goal and a gift. Their keeper didn't make a save that I couldn't have made. No great shock so if Luamba is fit and comes back who is left out? 

Stobbs - he was decent, but I can't see him being fit for Saturday, I didn't see him go down but he may not be fit for the rest of the season.

Play Hope out wide instead, his physical presence can gives us a bit of an out ball too, as it did last night.

15 minutes ago, Wardie said:

I think you are taking the gloss off it a bit. Own goals are most often produced under extreme pressure and whether or not the 'keeper decides to come up for a corner, the goal still has to be produced through open play. I wouldn't call it a gift. Orient have won three on the bounce, so I would bet they expected to win last night and as the report on the BBC site says, Orient hardly got a look-in.

I didn't expect the win, I was over the moon when I checked the result because I couldn't stomach to have the latest scores up on the screen. Saturday's game has now taken on even more importance and I probably won't be able to keep tabs on it. My fingers and toes will be well and truly crossed.

Same for me. I couldn't stomach it and avoided checking the scores in case I was the jinx. My neighbour must have jumped out of his skin when I finally checked at 10pm. The dog was chasing me round the living room thinking "this is fun". Couldn't get to sleep last night because of the adrenalin

Well done Oldham

40 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

I'd have moved out of the way of that Adams shot from close range!

10 hours ago, peanuts2 said:

Pivotal save from Rogers, stonewall penalty not given for the foul on Hart.

we dont DO penalties remember 

Exactly - at this stage of the season I'd rather we were robbed of penalties than risk missing one, we know how that turns out! 🤣

1 hour ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

When the pressure was really on and coming off the back of Saturday's heartbreak, the whole team were magnificent to a man.

It was as good as it gets and if we play anywhere near that at Stevenage, we win.

Still clicking my heels, a brilliant night.

absolutely. For the first time this lot kept a team pinned in and out some real pressure on. Keeper made a good save with feet and had one right at him. Another day they both could go in. 
be hard to keep that up sat but that sort of performance will get points off anyone in this league. Sutton has slotted in nicely and hart is a big player for us. Get Luamba on bench, keep baha on bench in case we need something special later on. Still got some hope they can do it! 

Have to say also that again the beautiful game lost at this level. Bristol rovers same. For all the passing at back the players at this level aren’t up to that style. U end up going nowhere. U need to be direct and pick up second balls. Wellens was going nuts second half coz they weren’t stood where they needed to be. Curle was slightly similar. Shez def got the right tactics for what we have available I think 

56 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

Stobbs - he was decent, but I can't see him being fit for Saturday, I didn't see him go down but he may not be fit for the rest of the season.

Play Hope out wide instead, his physical presence can gives us a bit of an out ball too, as it did last night.

He was feeling his hamstring for a little while before sitting down.

Great team performance last night but think it's still important not to get too giddy. Vital 3 points but we're not out of the woods yet. You could blame them losing on a lackluster show from the Os rather than a solid Oldham win but right now a W means everything. Still have Saturday's game which is massive then some top-heavy fixtures to contend with. Stevenage still have Scunthorpe to play keep in mind. I hope it serves as some form of belief for the team though.

Was surprised how stumped Orient looked in both halves. They seemed a bit bewildered by how hard we pressed, our pace and how well we moved the ball about - especially up the wings. They didn't show up and it's nice for a change that we made the most of it. Shame we didn't score a goal ourselves (the second was more of a gift).

Usually I would never smear a player because at the end of the day they are people who are just trying to do a job to the best of their ability. I've written Stobbs off before and feel he isn't L2 starter level but for what it's worth he put in a stellar performance last night. Go on, lad.

On a slight downer, Hope doesn't do it for me at this level. He seems to play without support which doesn't suit his style of play; he needs support when he receives the ball or to play as a bit of a poacher otherwise he's left out to dry. Was pushed off the ball quite easily in comparison to other players.

Missilou and Adams are proper workhorses. Love it when they get a bit of room to work. Their 100% might not be the highest standard of football but they never give it anything less even when we lose.

Another shoutout to Sutton: only seen him play 3 games but for me he starts no problem. Confident, found space, got in the way, did what a defender needs to do - that's with his goals aside.

Last one goes out to Sam Hart for nearly splitting himself in half going for the ball at the far side. God loves a trier.

1 hour ago, Wardie said:

More like keeping in touch with reality than taking the gloss off.  The dog still looks traumatised this morning after my celebrations at the end roused him from his slumbers!

12 hours ago, peanuts2 said:

said Adams came off injured on bbc ????

fingers crossed 

12 hours ago, kev1970 said:

Hope just knackered after his performance 

12 hours ago, astottie said:

Hurt his ankle as well. Seemed happy enough bouncing about with Whelan at the end

12 hours ago, kowenicki said:

Just tired I think. Was marching round the pitch at full time too. 

Apparently been carrying injuries for a few months, one of several being patched up game to game.

Thought it was a magnificent effort from 1 through 11, all players singing from same song sheet and working their tripe off for each other, the shirt and for the fans. As long as Latics have at least 9 playing at that level and maybe 2 slightly below in quality (but not effort) then I think we can win 3 or 4 of the last 7 games and keep ourselves safe. Thought the off the ball work last night was best I have seen in years and the recovery runs spectacular. Stobbs set off like a man possessed and his momentum seemed to galvanise others. 

Wonderful Latics, I just hope that they can keep this momentum for the rest of the season so that Pidge is not the captain who takes our wonderful Latics into the non-league (many more reasons too).  

37 minutes ago, GKing521 said:

All means nothing if we can't beat Stevenage. Hopefully we can sell out that away end.

If anything it takes the pressure off Saturday, would have been very close to must win terrority without the win last night.

1 minute ago, deyres42 said:

If anything it takes the pressure off Saturday, would have been very close to must win terrority without the win last night.

Finding myself agreeing with eyresie 😲

I still think Barrow are the ones we're most likely to catch, so it's more about total points won than specific matches. That being said, if we can beat Stevenage it will add more pressure on them which will make their easier run in (on paper) a lot harder.

Did L/O field a team of basket ball players, they were massive in stature and I feared the worst.

Ye gods the relief when that second goal went in. I don't mind admitting I shed a few tears. Mate of mind thought his stent had burst with the shear adrenaline rush.

Everyone put a shift in, that includes us on the terraces too. Loud and proud.

That second goal will be put in my latics box of memories to be played when I only have one marble rolling around left.

Can we do it for the remainder of the season? I don't know if my nails and heart can take it..

Latics should come with a health warning, roll on Saturday

Can't really add much to what's already been said. Enjoyed that performance as much as I've enjoyed any in the last 5-10 years. Supremely satisfying.

It reminded me of this match at home to Huddersfield in 2010. Welcoming an already confident side after a recent upsurge with a high pressing performance that they couldn't live with. Smaller in stature we may have been, but we more than made up for that with our energy and commitment. So many great performances but Sutton is becoming a bit of standout for me. His understanding with Piergianni was very impressive and they complemented each other well.

A win on Saturday at Stevenage would be massive psychologically. 

Archived