Unsworth Confirmed

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, PeteG said:

No it's just the hypocrisy dished out over the weekend when everyone knew they were discussing his position from day 1. You telling me those rumours didn't make their way to the dressing room and affect morale and results? If they wanted their own man from Day 1 they should have done it straight away.

Fucking hell, I agree with Mike.

I may need to reconsider my position....

2 hours ago, deyres42 said:

Just the modern way. With many players on short contracts in the lower levels and a plethora of available coaches and managers you don't need to give them time. A three year contract gives the impression of stability though I guess.

As did "John will be under no pressure, please give him your full backing even if we're doing badly" 

2 hours ago, BP1960 said:

I worked for many famous managers and chief scouts who contacted me on regular basis. If I spot any good prospect I will pass them on to who I wish. One is now being followed up by a Premiership club I used to work for.

As for amateurs many start at that level so they cannot be dismissed on the basis of the standard they play.

Talent can be found anywhere, even in Sunday league where I recommended Lee Trundle, Tony Ellis and Tony Naylor who went on to play in the Championship.

I played 1 game in Sunday league as Tony Naylors strike partner for The Nelson (now the Buck and Union) probably late 1980's. We lost 21-3, he got 2 and I got 1 so we did our bit... Our keeper had had a better offer that day so our manager went in goal... Sunday league eh, proper football...

36 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Thanks everyone, my request to David Unsworth will be passed on to him by someone established with the current regime at the club. This boy really impressed me with dribbling skills I've not seen the likes of for many years. Scores goals from wide too. Reminded me of David Eyres who was playing at a similar level before he was spotted.

If he’s as good as described, can I have first dibs on being his agent? 😃

Given how long we're told it's gonna take to get things right off the pitch I'm surprised we've not gone for an experienced man, an old school type used to running a club from top to bottom who could have sped all of that up. 

But.......

Great interviews. I love his winning mentality and, even moreso, the urgency of it.

(I assume that will go down like a sack of shit with those who were shouting others down for wanting Shez to win more games though, no?)

But we've been here before many times haven't we.

He pretty much said this himself which I liked - "but these are just words..." (or something to that effect). 

Good luck to him.

May his first signing be a goalscoring signing....

And his second. 

With so many players out injured, or not up to speed after injury, I think it may be a while before Unsworth can implement a new system/style to his satisfaction.

Shez steadied the ship but it may take a bit for the new boss to turn it around.

I am optimistic this is a good appointment,  especially with a decent coaching team reportedly coming in. However patience is not something football fans are generally known for.

1 hour ago, League one forever said:

Everyone talking about sacking managers is missing the point. 

If any manager doesn’t get results, or at least show signs of progress- they deserve the sack. It’s that simple. 

But.

What you don’t do, is sack/let go of  managers whose results are good, and/or shows of progress. Moore/Bunn/Wild. It’s this the club needs to get right, and I’m confident they will. 

totally agree. I defo back a longer term appointment but unsworth has no track record. If he performs worse than Sheridan and he has no record of ever producing with another club then I’m not sure u can keep him on long term. He needs time to build his side but will have to show some sort of promise or team development in the short term also 

1 hour ago, League one forever said:

Everyone talking about sacking managers is missing the point. 

If any manager doesn’t get results, or at least show signs of progress- they deserve the sack. It’s that simple. 

But.

What you don’t do, is sack/let go of  managers whose results are good, and/or shows of progress. Moore/Bunn/Wild. It’s this the club needs to get right, and I’m confident they will. 

Not many wanted Moore to be given any longer, and plenty wanted Bunn gone early doors. If we'd sacked him in October when were a lot nearer the bottom of the league than the top, or after the Hampton cup game, it'd have probably been backed by the majority of fans. When we did a few weeks later, many were up in arms

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

Yes - so how long does he get?  We all want to see improvement, even if we are going well.  

All depends on results so if we do down or look bad fans will clamour for him to go.

Alternatively if we go up other clubs will be in for  him. 

This season if a disaster, which I think is unlikely.

2 seasons if very successful with 2 promotions..then cash in.

3 seasons if good progress and offered 2 more.

49 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

Given how long we're told it's gonna take to get things right off the pitch I'm surprised we've not gone for an experienced man, an old school type used to running a club from top to bottom who could have sped all of that up.

I wonder if his work at Everton beyond the immediacy of coaching the U23s makes the club think that's what they are getting?  He's been Academy Director there, not just a coach, which at least implies a sense of strategic thinking above and beyond just picking an 11 and telling them to run about a bit. 

2 hours ago, HarryBosch said:

As did "John will be under no pressure, please give him your full backing even if we're doing badly" 

Was this said by Frank in his unveiling? Seems a bit harsh to keep going on about it when it was meant with the best of intentions and Frank was obviously new to the whole speaking in front of the media thing..

2 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Was this said by Frank in his unveiling? Seems a bit harsh to keep going on about it when it was meant with the best of intentions and Frank was obviously new to the whole speaking in front of the media thing..

Hardly. He's not been out of the media for the last five years...

Archived