Unsworth Confirmed

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Hardly. He's not been out of the media for the last five years...

I’m possibly not aware of all his media work previously, but I’d be surprised if any of it was to an audience of which some take delight in finding contradictions in what he’s said and nailing him to the cross for it months later.

His naivety granted, but a bit mean on certain fans’ part to keep going on about something which at the time was meant well..

20 minutes ago, JoeP said:

I’m possibly not aware of all his media work previously, but I’d be surprised if any of it was to an audience of which some take delight in finding contradictions in what he’s said and nailing him to the cross for it months later.

His naivety granted, but a bit mean on certain fans’ part to keep going on about something which at the time was meant well..

He has said it more than once though, including in his big speech before the Dorking game. Darren Royle has said the same thing too, so it's not a one off comment that folk are jumping on.

8 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Get rid of the second keeper, Clarke and McGahey as the first move. All crap and would free up a decent chunk of budget. 

Depends on how much it takes to pay them off. Can't imagine why they'd walk away for next to nothing 

41 minutes ago, Steve_R said:

He has said it more than once though, including in his big speech before the Dorking game. Darren Royle has said the same thing too, so it's not a one off comment that folk are jumping on.

Nah, too harsh to be critical of him, I reckon. 

The sentiment was they'll get behind Shez and asked the fans to do the same. I don't have a problem with that. 

It's not like they sacked Shez - Shez obviously wasn't sure he had what takes still either. So what are they supposed to do? Force him to stay in his job when he doesn't want to be there? There's clearly no acrimony...

As for lining Unsworth up when Shez was still there - good! And I hope they've got other people on their radar for when Unsworth leaves. It's called thinking ahead. 

They've done nothing wrong here...

3 hours ago, Ackey said:

I wonder if his work at Everton beyond the immediacy of coaching the U23s makes the club think that's what they are getting?  He's been Academy Director there, not just a coach, which at least implies a sense of strategic thinking above and beyond just picking an 11 and telling them to run about a bit. 

Maybe.

I was thinking more along the lines of someone who'd even spot & assist with things on the non-football side that weren't being done/done right....

Anyway, maybe next time/year 😃

2 hours ago, Only Blue said:

What I liked about his interview is that he didn't ask for time himself. He immediately stated he needed to come up with how to start winning matches now, and then would start to tweak the team into how he wanted them to play.

I liked that too.

Hopefully nobody tells him that isn't possible until everything is in order off the pitch, which will take a few years.

41 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Get rid of the second keeper, Clarke and McGahey as the first move. All crap and would free up a decent chunk of budget. 

McGahey will need to go because he'll have no kit. The manager will need his 4XL shirt and shorts, and we ain't buying another one.

Big Dave has a hell of a job to do. He seems like a really good appointment, but he really needs time and patience.

2 hours ago, JoeP said:

Was this said by Frank in his unveiling? Seems a bit harsh to keep going on about it when it was meant with the best of intentions and Frank was obviously new to the whole speaking in front of the media thing..

And again in his Cheeseman interview a few weeks later 

1 hour ago, JoeP said:

He's probably one of Oldham's most regular, prolific public speakers 😀😂

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

Depends on how much it takes to pay them off. Can't imagine why they'd walk away for next to nothing 

Could send them on loan to Darren Royle's old club Ashton United like Sefil and Gonzales.🤔

2 hours ago, JoeP said:

Nah, too harsh to be critical of him, I reckon. 

The sentiment was they'll get behind Shez and asked the fans to do the same. I don't have a problem with that. 

It's not like they sacked Shez - Shez obviously wasn't sure he had what takes still either. So what are they supposed to do? Force him to stay in his job when he doesn't want to be there? There's clearly no acrimony...

As for lining Unsworth up when Shez was still there - good! And I hope they've got other people on their radar for when Unsworth leaves. It's called thinking ahead. 

They've done nothing wrong here...

I totally agree, it's also called succession planning.

13 minutes ago, Longlostfan said:

One time home of Souxsie and the Banshees. If I was going I might even have ventured to Chiselhurst to visit the 'Hong kong Garden' - assuming it has survived since 1978.

Home of retired South London Bank robbers

Archived