Unsworth Confirmed

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the appointment, for a non-league club to have someone who as a player spent the vast majority of it in the Premier League and who has a decade of good solid coaching experience behind him ontop of that. Then I think this is about as good as an appointment as we should realistically expect. 

Now the Royles's have got someone who is clearly Their Man in place then I hope we are going to build something abit more long term.

45 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

If managers spent all their time following up recommendations from fans who've spotted " a gem" they'd do nothing else except waste time watching everyone's "little darlings" in some amateur game somewhere. Leave the managers to manage - that's what they are paid for. I think that's what the emoji was probably about BP - just be a supporter and let the club get on with things for a while without any interference on the playing front - no matter how well intended.

I worked for many famous managers and chief scouts who contacted me on regular basis. If I spot any good prospect I will pass them on to who I wish. One is now being followed up by a Premiership club I used to work for.

As for amateurs many start at that level so they cannot be dismissed on the basis of the standard they play.

Talent can be found anywhere, even in Sunday league where I recommended Lee Trundle, Tony Ellis and Tony Naylor who went on to play in the Championship.

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

I need to contact David Unsworth about a very exciting young player I've seen in non league, who I understand was once a youth at Everton. If anyone has details of how to contact  him please send me a direct message.

david.unsworth@oldhamathletic.co.uk

Will probably do it 

33 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

No objections to discerning ex-scouts/supporters contacting the club regarding potential talent, just do it but don't tell everyone on here.

Surely an "old fashioned" letter or note addressed to the manager would get to him eventually, especially if your credentials are good.

Like a previous manager who hadn't the courtesy to reply to me despite me sending my credentials.

There are some on this message board who have have personal contacts with the current regime and its those I'm reaching out to.

32 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

It's almost as if you want to be in a position to say you were right no matter what happens:

image.png

Pardon? I'm quoting his interview and then saying it should be a welcome change to Sheridan's ideology of 'just go out and enjoy it' etc...

I also hope that comment comes back to bite me on the arse. Promotion soon would be lovely. 

I welcome this appointment but would like to point out that this Unsworth was here before the Right Honourable David Unsworth. 

Not withstanding that, this club is crying out for stability and some foundations that have been ripped out of it over the last 30 years. I want a club that will in future have a platform from which to develop players and bring them through again and not one that is solely reliant on certain football agents like we have become. 

I want a club that serves its employees and its community well and one that tries to do the right thing in a really competitive environment and not one that constantly cuts corners to try and gain fast results but without any likelihood of a sustainable future or these fast results being repeated on a regular basis. 

Clubs like Luton Town have shown that fortunes can be turned round over a period of time, I am sure The Royles, Rothwells and Mr Unsworth have a strategy in place to emulate clubs who have been on a recovery journey (like Luton) and are now much better placed than they were a few years ago. 

I am sick of the short termism that has engulfed this club for far too long, I want success like anyone else but recognise that in order to achieve constant and consistent progress and success, then a secure foundation needs to laid first. 

Welcome David, I truly hope you are the right man to put this club back on an even keel on a footballing front and can lead OAFC back to where it once was, a proud and effective member of the English Football League      

3 hours ago, PeteG said:

And you said I know nothing and talk complete bollox. Nice to see they were discussing Shez's job openly while the man was still it situ!

image.png

Mike, that Chrome browser discipline is fucking with my OCD.

Everyone talking about sacking managers is missing the point. 

If any manager doesn’t get results, or at least show signs of progress- they deserve the sack. It’s that simple. 

But.

What you don’t do, is sack/let go of  managers whose results are good, and/or shows of progress. Moore/Bunn/Wild. It’s this the club needs to get right, and I’m confident they will. 

4 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Everyone talking about sacking managers is missing the point. 

If any manager doesn’t get results, or at least show signs of progress- they deserve the sack. It’s that simple. 

But.

What you don’t do, is sack/let go of  managers whose results are good, and/or shows of progress. Moore/Bunn/Wild. It’s this the club needs to get right, and I’m confident they will. 

But the big debate, and what has changed so much in recent years (especially with us but with the game in general) is how long they get to win games/show progress.  A season?, a couple of transfer windows (yes, different down here but still relevant)? The time needed to say it is their team?

Thanks everyone, my request to David Unsworth will be passed on to him by someone established with the current regime at the club. This boy really impressed me with dribbling skills I've not seen the likes of for many years. Scores goals from wide too. Reminded me of David Eyres who was playing at a similar level before he was spotted.

8 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Thanks everyone, my request to David Unsworth will be passed on to him by someone established with the current regime at the club. This boy really impressed me with dribbling skills I've not seen the likes of for many years. Scores goals from wide too. Reminded me of David Eyres who was playing at a similar level before he was spotted.

I hope you get the chance to post on here if the lad becomes a star BP.

👍

6 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

But the big debate, and what has changed so much in recent years (especially with us but with the game in general) is how long they get to win games/show progress.  A season?, a couple of transfer windows (yes, different down here but still relevant)? The time needed to say it is their team?

As an observer of the game Dave it's performances I want to see improved. Under the previous manager  the team was dysfunctional and played well only in short bursts. Once Unsworth has established a team shape and pattern of play with improved distribution and support play we could see even this season a challenge for the play offs.

(Hopefully).

6 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

See I don’t think it’s about amount of time at all, and it’s largely red herring from a managers perspective. You can have all the 3/4/5 contracts  you want but if he doesn’t win enough football matches- he’s gone. 

The club should be coming up with a philosophy and the manger needs to get results within those parameters- like Swansea or Brighton. Their manger is recruited on what the club wants, not the what the managers offers as a style of play. This to me feels like it’s we are going, and I’m all for it. 

Therefore I will Judge Unsworth on- 

Results- for obvious reasons.

Performance - both in work rate and style of play.

Youth development- does he bring the young ones on, does he improve them

If he is meeting those more often than not, he stays. If he doesn’t, he goes. 

We desperately need to get back to mangers taking responsibility, as I’m sure under these owners they’ll be every chance to do well. 

2 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

As an observer of the game Dave it's performances I want to see improved. Under the previous manager  the team was dysfunctional and played well only in short bursts. Once Unsworth has established a team shape and pattern of play with improved distribution and support play we could see even this season a challenge for the play offs.

(Hopefully).

Yes - so how long does he get?  We all want to see improvement, even if we are going well.  

1 minute ago, League one forever said:

See I don’t think it’s about amount of time at all, and it’s largely red herring from a managers perspective. You can have all the 3/4/5 contracts  you want but if he doesn’t win enough football matches- he’s gone. 

The club should be coming up with a philosophy and the manger needs to get results within those parameters- like Swansea or Brighton. Their manger is recruited on what the club wants, not the what the managers offers as a style of play. This to me feels like it’s we are going, and I’m all for it. 

Therefore I will Judge Unsworth on- 

Results- for obvious reasons.

Performance - both in work rate and style of play.

Youth development- does he bring the young ones on, does he improve them

If he is meeting those more often than not, he stays. If he doesn’t, he goes. 

We desperately need to get back to mangers taking responsibility, as I’m sure under these owners they’ll be every chance to do well. 

But over what timescale?

3 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

But over what timescale?

From my point of view- the bar is ridiculously low this season, just show us the green shoots of recovery. If we haven’t done anything by the end of season and are hovering above the relegation zone- questions will be rightly asked. 

However if as I expect, he does ok, and we are top half at the end of the season. Then he gets the following season to really push us on. . If not. . He goes. 

Any manager has expectation for the size of the club they’re at.

Unsworth isn’t here to finish 12th for 3 seasons. 

Archived