Mr BP1960

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/16/2022 at 10:23 PM, yarddog73 said:

Good news, anything that can help move the club forward I'm all for and although my opinion differs sometimes I still respect your view and you'll be a good addition to the scouting team, be sure to recommend Linney as I think he'll be snapped up before Christmas, another one for you is Will Stanway, young keeper at Chester who did really well out on loan at FC only 21 and one for the future.

Stanway has potential but due to us having Harry Tyrer on loan from Everton Wyll has been put on a few loans, currently at Macc.

He has jumped up a few levels quickly and does look decent.

Done my bit and recommended from non league a fast powerful young right back, a right winger a class above, an attacking midfielder who scores and creates goals a young left winger who terrorises defenders and 2 local players in the Conference North I've been impressed with.

All are dynamic players who get you out of your seat when they receive the ball, you just know something good is going to happen.

I'm somewhat disillusioned at the moment as I doubt any will be considered and I've nothing else to offer I'm afraid.

Edited by BP1960
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Done my bit and recommended from non league a fast powerful young right back, a right winger a class above, an attacking midfielder who scores and creates goals a young left winger who terrorises defenders and 2 local players in the Conference North I've been impressed with.

All are dynamic players who get you out of your seat when they receive the ball, you just know something good is going to happen.

I'm somewhat disillusioned at the moment as I doubt any will be considered and I've nothing else to offer I'm afraid.

At least you tried BP.

We need those types. 

On 12/3/2022 at 11:44 PM, BP1960 said:

That's the life of a scout BP - you can only make your recommendations and hope someone else checks them out. You can always say "told you so" if any progress with other clubs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mick26 said:

That's the life of a scout BP - you can only make your recommendations and hope someone else checks them out. You can always say "told you so" if any progress with other clubs.

I'm sure James Berry will go far higher than us, providing he's not injured with all the rough tacking he has to take to stop him.

Whoever comes in now simply has to go straight in. Unfortunately with the size of the squad there isn’t much room for too many prospects.

I’d like to think the club recruitment staff would check on your valued recommendations for perhaps later in the season and beyond.

46 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Whoever comes in now simply has to go straight in. Unfortunately with the size of the squad there isn’t much room for too many prospects.

I’d like to think the club recruitment staff would check on your valued recommendations for perhaps later in the season and beyond.

That's the problem, I think Colclough , Haughton and Berry (even though he's playing 4 leagues lower) would go straight in, but others would be excellent as back ups or in the longer term.

Doesn't scouting take longer than that?  I feel I have to say it is very much a genuine question as you are so quick to take offence

27 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Doesn't scouting take longer than that?  I feel I have to say it is very much a genuine question as you are so quick to take offence

Depends, I've recommended three who could go straight in, one of whom in my opinion will go for big money in the future, others are those I've seen and liked who IMO are better than what the club has got.

The disappointment is some will not even be monitored, which for a scout is very disheartening - particularly when I see another goalkeeper signed for the season.

No one has got back to me in two weeks to even look at players and I get the feeling it's too in house.

As I'm not officially on the staff I can air my views and not afraid to do so so. 

It's true I can take offence easily, but at my age I can see I'm going more like Victor Meldrew every day.

I admire your views on financial aspects though and often check them out.

Edited by BP1960

9 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Depends, I've recommended three who could go straight in, one of whom in my opinion will go for big money in the future, others are those I've seen and liked who IMO are better than what the club has got.

The disappointment is some will not even be monitored, which for a scout is very disheartening - particularly when I see another goalkeeper signed for the season.

No one has got back to me in two weeks to even look at players and I get the feeling it's too in house.

As I'm not officially on the staff I can air my views and not afraid to do so so. 

It's true I can take offence easily, but at my age I can see I'm going more like Victor Meldrew every day.

We have signed a goalkeeper because (hopefully) Leutwiler is packing his bags 

10 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

I think in your post you said you'd recommended 6 players. And I think I've heard in an interview somewhere we have 6/7 scouts on the books now. If all were recommending the same amount of players then that's 30/40 players the club could be getting recommended to them. It seems logical to me that they would have to pick and choose where to direct their resources, so a lot of recommendations would be getting ignored.

Naturally some will slip through the net, but surely the important thing is the net is now much bigger, yourself included.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

I think in your post you said you'd recommended 6 players. And I think I've heard in an interview somewhere we have 6/7 scouts on the books now. If all were recommending the same amount of players then that's 30/40 players the club could be getting recommended to them. It seems logical to me that they would have to pick and choose where to direct their resources, so a lot of recommendations would be getting ignored.

Naturally some will slip through the net, but surely the important thing is the net is now much bigger, yourself included.

I haven't said sign them all on my say so, but those they don't know about could be monitored and haven't. I don't know who the 6 or 7 scouts are you mention as no scouts meeting had been coordinated yet to my knowledge.

Something which was done regularly when I was at Nottingham Forest.

I just don't feel part of the set up, which is why is why I won't be making any more recommendations.

Edited by BP1960

15 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

I haven't said sign them all on my say so, but those they don't know about could be monitored and haven't. I don't know who the 6 or 7 scouts are you mention as no scouts meeting had been coordinated yet to my knowledge.

I just don't feel part of the set up, which is why is why I won't be making any more recommendations.

Come on BP Steve Thompson has only just got his feet under the table and I would hope and expect he'd communicate with you at some point in the near future.

22 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

You really need to stop the woe is me attitude 

Jesus just speak to the club 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

You really need to stop the woe is me attitude 

Jesus just speak to the club 

Grow up, I've offered to to help the club for free and spoken to the club. 

I've said it's too in house and won't be contacting them anymore.

You haven't a clue what's going on and I've now had an insight.

When you offer to help the club rather than sniping at others let me know.

Edited by BP1960

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

Grow up, I've offered to to help the club for free and spoken to the club. 

I've said it's too in house and won't be contacting them anymore.

You haven't a clue what's going on and I've now had an insight.

When you offer to help the club rather than sniping at others let me know.

So you are not scouting for us anymore ? That’s fair enough, but you’ve been doing it for a week ? You surely can’t expect them to sign the players / go watch them instantly can you ? - I’m not having a go, I just don’t see the issue and seems a bit strange. 

You are a scout, you love Oldham, and you are scouting players, albeit for free, for Oldham. Am I missing something ? 

Edited by LightDN123

36 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

So you are not scouting for us anymore ? That’s fair enough, but you’ve been doing it for a week ? You surely can’t expect them to sign the players / go watch them instantly can you ? - I’m not having a go, I just don’t see the issue and seems a bit strange. 

You are a scout, you love Oldham, and you are scouting players, albeit for free, for Oldham. Am I missing something 

One week isnt a fact, I've seen how it works and it's not the way of any of my previous professional clubs.

As I said I soon realised it was too in house and didn't feel a part of it.

I've an uncomfortable feeling how this is all going to turn out with the lack of non league experience at the club.

well your remit was 'players who can go straight into the team' so if you have found a RB we certainly need that.

we also urgently need to have already found and be negotiating the release of a modern day Danny Tiatto/Darren Sheridan type who can sit in midfield from tomorrow until the top of league one.

7 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

well your remit was 'players who can go straight into the team' so if you have found a RB we certainly need that.

we also urgently need to have already found and be negotiating the release of a modern day Danny Tiatto/Darren Sheridan type who can sit in midfield from tomorrow until the top of league one.

The right back would probably be one for the future and I asked for him to be monitored, which isn't considered a priority Monty and I haven't spotted a Danny Sheridan type yet, they seem to be disappearing from the modern game. 

Edited by BP1960
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

The right back would probably be one for the future and I asked for him to be monitored, which isn't considered a priority Monty and I haven't spotted a Danny Sheridan type yet, they seem to be disappearing from the modern game. 

That shouldn't matter, as Unsworth said in his @BPASinterview it's like the 1989s down here...