National League Thread

It’s quite unbelievable given how little of the season we’ve been in or near the play offs and that we haven’t won in 9 games, that there’s still a small chance of us getting in. Ridiculous really. We should be well out of it. 

I’m starting to think Southend have a very good shot at 7th. The biggest obstacle is probably them needing us not to lose to Halifax!

7 minutes ago, Glossop Shrimper said:

For a day at least, now Gateshead need to beat Aldershot tomorrow night.

Technically don’t need that to happen although it would be better if they did. 

If aldershot win tomorrow it’s still up for grabs on Saturday if they lose then. And Halifax don’t win. 

Edited by nzlatic

Just now, kowenicki said:

The season just won’t die will it… 

I’m coming up for my first home game since early last season on Saturday. I’m really desperate for there to be something on that game. Even if it’s the longest of longshots!

6 minutes ago, Glossop Shrimper said:

For a day at least, now Gateshead need to beat Aldershot tomorrow night.

It would be helpful, but Aldershot's goal difference is shit. They could win tomorrow and we could both (well, you) still overhaul them if they get turned over on Saturday.

17 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

...If aldershot win tomorrow it’s still up for grabs on Saturday if they lose then. And Halifax don’t win. 

Gateshead win tomorrow.

You win on Thursday.

And ... 

It's 4 Cup finals on Saturday.

I know we're very late to the party, but after this season, just staying up was our hope, anything else is the icing on the cake 🙂

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Glossop Shrimper said:

Gateshead win tomorrow.

You win on Thursday.

And ... 

It's 4 Cup finals on Saturday.

I know we're very late to the party, but after this season, just staying up was our hope, anything else is the icing on the cake 🙂

Btw not sure how you lot spent £60k+ on agents wages if you had an embargo and were skint. ...figures are from Feb 23 to Feb 24??

26 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

Btw not sure how you lot spent £60k+ on agents wages if you had an embargo and were skint. ...figures are from Feb 23 to Feb 24??

16 month embargo until January this year. As soon as that was lifted, the Consortium were announcing, almost on a daily basis,  contracts renewed or new signings. I think it was 9 or 10 contracts renewed but also 3 new players. £60,999 spent.

By comparison, the Derbyshire Times recently reported that Chesterfield spent £52,722 on 6 new player contracts, and 6 signings.

Skint, yes, until the owner goes. However, the Consortium and new owners elect, have been effectively running the club and paying the bills since last September. Considering contracts weren't exchanged until December last that was quite a risk but they showed their commitment to the club. Then it gets complicated, way over my head. There are threads on our forums explaining it but too many big words for me. When the latest winding up order was announced, the Consortium disclosed they had invested £2.5 - £3million in sorting debts, wages etc thus far.

Provisionally sale date set for 15 May. 

This league is mad. There are so many shit stats to pick out of our season (like only 6 home league wins, only 1 league goal from a defender etc)

But then other stats would suggest we’re not far away.

Only 2 league defeats more than run away leaders Chesterfield.

Same amount of defeats as 2nd place chasers Barnet.

Less defeats than play-off contenders Altrincham, Gateshead & Halifax.

5 less defeats than play-off hopefuls Aldershot.

We’ve thrown away a brilliant opportunity this season to have a stab at the play-offs. It was absolutely there for us and we blew it 😞

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Summerdeep said:

^ And Mellon threw away a decent outside chance of a Wembley FA Trophy day out by putting out an understrength side against Hendon.

Norman

McGahey

Raglan

Hogan

Sutton

Ward

Willoughby

Lundstram

Gardner

Hope

Walker

with Kitching, Norwood and Conlon coming off the bench.

Having equalised in the 93rd minute, we lost to a 96th minute goal…😮

Understrength? Possibly, but still should have had more than enough. 

Southend fan. 

What a mad season. No real pre season, embargo, 10 points deducted. Playing with just 13 fit players. Sticking a right back in goal after he had been smashed into the hoardings.

If it goes to the last day. I'd really fancy our chances. 

Full house (capacity limited) at roots to try and get that last spot and also equal a club record 16 unbeaten in the league. 

If neither of us go up this season then I'd fully expect us to be going for top spot next season.

I honestly thought that Oldham would be right up there this season. What's been the problem?

All the best for the end of season and please beat Halifax Thursday.

9 hours ago, Summerdeep said:

^ And Mellon threw away a decent outside chance of a Wembley FA Trophy day out by putting out an understrength side against Hendon.

There is no team of strength.

7 hours ago, Shrimperama said:

I honestly thought that Oldham would be right up there this season. What's been the problem?

Initially sticking with Unsworth for 9 games after mixed recruitment - not correcting obvious deficiencies in the team i.e. no right back, no creativity in midfield, no pace. Possible fallouts since Christmas and horrendous home record.

Things can only get better!

19 hours ago, nzlatic said:

It’s quite unbelievable given how little of the season we’ve been in or near the play offs and that we haven’t won in 9 games, that there’s still a small chance of us getting in. Ridiculous really. We should be well out of it. 

Think I called it with 6 matches remaining we'd need to win four of them. We could've just won one!

Really shows the poor level of quality underneath the top 4 or so, doesn't it? An overhaul in midfield and a right back and I can't see us being any less than 4th next season. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Think I called it with 6 matches remaining we'd need to win four of them. We could've just won one!

Really shows the poor level of quality underneath the top 4 or so, doesn't it? An overhaul in midfield and a right back and I can't see us being any less than 4th next season. 

It was ever thus. 

Unsworth had us bottom four at new year, we won a few in the second half of the season and finished top half, I think we were something like 3/4 wins short of making the playoffs. 

This season we were 5th in Feb, and only needed to win 3/4 of our final 11 games. . . to finish in the playoffs. Just another reminder of how unbelievably shit you can be and finish 7th. 

Unless you are worse than unbelievably shit. 

Night.