National League Thread

StatsBomb. Been doing a little research as I`d never heard of it. Someone mentioned on here that no top team winning anything is without it. Really? Well, if lots of clubs have it; they can't all be winning can they? Competitive advantage comes from having decent players in a decent line-up, managed well. We are in non-league for christ's sake. A manager, and indeed anyone who knows anything about football, can see a good player when he sees one. It's just more nonsense created by the nonsense generation. Oh and anyone calling the beautiful game, soccer (which I saw several times on their website) clearly knows nothing about football either. I really do despair if Latics are relying on such drivel as part of their recruitment policy. The saying;  lies, damned lies and statistics wasn't made up for any old reason. It's because it has a large element of truth in it. 

Let the manager do the recruiting, full stop. He then lives or dies by his own decisions not some stupid bloody database on meaningless stats.

56 minutes ago, spanishfly said:

StatsBomb. Been doing a little research as I`d never heard of it. Someone mentioned on here that no top team winning anything is without it. Really? Well, if lots of clubs have it; they can't all be winning can they? Competitive advantage comes from having decent players in a decent line-up, managed well. We are in non-league for christ's sake. A manager, and indeed anyone who knows anything about football, can see a good player when he sees one. It's just more nonsense created by the nonsense generation. Oh and anyone calling the beautiful game, soccer (which I saw several times on their website) clearly knows nothing about football either. I really do despair if Latics are relying on such drivel as part of their recruitment policy. The saying;  lies, damned lies and statistics wasn't made up for any old reason. It's because it has a large element of truth in it. 

Let the manager do the recruiting, full stop. He then lives or dies by his own decisions not some stupid bloody database on meaningless stats.

You won't have heard of it. You were locked up in La Catedral with Pablo weren't you

• Like 1

6 hours ago, spanishfly said:

I never understand why some people get so worked up about the word “soccer”. It’s used by the Yanks a lot, yes, but sensibly in their case to differentiate it from American Football. It’s been used over here since the game was codified, and is simply an abbreviation/corruption of Association Football.

7 hours ago, spanishfly said:

You’re leaking oh wise one…

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Wardie said:

There never was one, it is pitch black all the way.

Bollocks. Unlikely but still possible. Halifax match will decide.Play like today and we'll win 

Really want to give Mellon a hug to cheer him up. He seems really down.Some of us still think he'll succeed despite all the negativity and moaning on here.

12 minutes ago, diggleblue said:

Bollocks. Unlikely but still possible. Halifax match will decide.Play like today and we'll win 

Really want to give Mellon a hug to cheer him up. He seems really down.Some of us still think he'll succeed despite all the negativity and moaning on here.

Play like we did today and the ball will be stopping in mud on that pitch. 

11 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

??? Playing like today we couldn’t beat Rochdale at home!!

OK. But Rochdale have recently been better than Halifax. And rain is in the forecast!!

Edited by diggleblue
Added text.

14 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

It’s just dawned on me that we could actually be playing against Curzon Ashton in a competitive league fixture!!😳

Have you watched us recently? What makes you think it’d be competitive…?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

It’s just dawned on me that we could actually be playing against Curzon Ashton in a competitive league fixture!!😳

Very possible that we'll be watching either Braintree or Chelmsford next season.  Both places I've been to (although Braintree have a new ground now) for what were local derbies in Conference South.  Chelmsford would be a whole new level of Southern Leisure Centre, it having a single stand and being in the middle of an athletics track

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

Very possible that we'll be watching either Braintree or Chelmsford next season.  Both places I've been to (although Braintree have a new ground now) for what were local derbies in Conference South.  Chelmsford would be a whole new level of Southern Leisure Centre, it having a single stand and being in the middle of an athletics track

😮

5 hours ago, Sloshed Joe said:

Have you watched us recently? What makes you think it’d be competitive…?

Ashton United making a bold bid for promotion to the NLN, one league behind us.

20 minutes ago, diggleblue said:

Josh in team of the week.

Fully deserved and about time too.

And who decides that nonsense?  is there really anybody in a position to decide?

On 4/6/2024 at 12:11 PM, spanishfly said:

I hope the irony of calling a whole generation nonsense when you have just come out with a red faced tirade about a stats tool and the word soccer is not lost on you.

The short of it is that some teams try to "moneyball" it but most use it as a way for scouts to watch more players easier

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1