National League Thread

2 hours ago, BP1960 said:

25 years ago Curzon Ashton were in the North West Counties League, now they are in the National League North play offs with a great chance of facing Latics next season.

And on top of that Ashton United could be in the NLN next season one league away from us.

Who have thought it?

They won’t I’ve watched them a few times this year and they are gash

3 hours ago, BP1960 said:

25 years ago Curzon Ashton were in the North West Counties League, now they are in the National League North play offs with a great chance of facing Latics next season.

And on top of that Ashton United could be in the NLN next season one league away from us.

Who have thought it?

Where were the likes of Salford, Harrogate and Dorking 25 years ago?

We've gone backwards often down to poor leadership at board level. They haven't. 

25 years is a long time in football. In 1970/71 we were promoted from the then 4th division and Burnley and Blackpool were relegated from the then first division. In 1990/91 we were promoted to the then 1st division and Burnley and Blackpool finished in the playoffs in the then division 4.

• Like 1

Just listened to Halifax v York. York totally out played  Halifax and were on course to win but Halifax equaliser came after the ball stuck in the mud!! In injury time.

If we start trying to play some football 😂 ha.ha. we could beat them Playoff place still possible,perhaps??But probably not after Rochdale beat us?C.O.Y.B.

13 hours ago, diggleblue said:

Just listened to Halifax v York. York totally out played  Halifax and were on course to win but Halifax equaliser came after the ball stuck in the mud!! In injury time.

If we start trying to play some football 😂 ha.ha. we could beat them Playoff place still possible,perhaps??But probably not after Rochdale beat us?C.O.Y.B.

Amazing amount of positivity and negativity shoehorned into one post there. 😂

• Like 1

13 hours ago, diggleblue said:

7th is just about achievable if everything goes our way.  3rd & 4th are already gone and I can't see those currently in 4th, 5th and 6th not getting more points than we do even if we will all four games.  It's done.

I will admit my 72 point prediction is looking dodgy. We just need to win all four remaining games, and it would be typical Latics if we did. It’s certainly possible, whether it will be enough even then is now out of our hands.

3 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

I will admit my 72 point prediction is looking dodgy. We just need to win all four remaining games, and it would be typical Latics if we did. It’s certainly possible, whether it will be enough even then is now out of our hands.

I'd suggest that a barnstorming finish to the season winning our last four games would be the opposite of Typical Latics!

2 minutes ago, jsslatic said:

I'd suggest that a barnstorming finish to the season winning our last four games would be the opposite of Typical Latics!

Yep, to be honest we’ve rarely finished a season strongly in the last few years.

Yeah it's one place up for grabs now. Aldershot, Halifax or us.

Aldershot games:

Hartlepool A

Gateshead A

Boreham Wood H

Dagenham A

They need 8 points to be out of reach, assuming we win all 4. 

Halifax games:

Kidderminster A

Oldham H

Barnet H

Ebbsfleet H

Eastleigh A

They need 10 points from the other 4 games to be out of reach, assuming we win all 4.

Our games:

Rochdale H

Halifax A

Oxford A

Wealdstone H

I think that 72 points might well be enough to sneak 7th. I just don't think we'll get them unfortunately.

17 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Yeah it's one place up for grabs now. Aldershot, Halifax or us.

Aldershot games:

Hartlepool A Draw

Gateshead A Gateshead win

Boreham Wood H Aldershot win

Dagenham A Draw

They need 8 points to be out of reach, assuming we win all 4. 

Halifax games:

Kidderminster A Draw

Oldham H See below

Barnet H Draw

Ebbsfleet H Halifax win

Eastleigh A Draw

They need 10 points from the other 4 games to be out of reach, assuming we win all 4.

Our games:

Rochdale H Draw

Halifax A See below

Oxford A Win

Wealdstone H Win

I think that 72 points might well be enough to sneak 7th. I just don't think we'll get them unfortunately.

I’ve put my forecasts in your post above!

That gives Aldershot finishing on 70 points. Ignoring our match v Halifax, they have 69 points from 45, we have 67 from 45. So we have to win at Halifax and given current GDs, we would then scrape into 7th ahead of Aldershot on 70 points.

Knowing us, we will probably beat Halifax but lose at home to Wealdstone in the final game to screw it all up. Or make the play offs and then make a swift exit!

1 hour ago, jsslatic said:

Typical, textbook Latics will be wins vs Rochdale, Halifax and Oxford followed up with a 1-4 pissboil against already-relegated Wealdstone.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

I’ve put my forecasts in your post above!

That gives Aldershot finishing on 70 points. Ignoring our match v Halifax, they have 69 points from 45, we have 67 from 45. So we have to win at Halifax and given current GDs, we would then scrape into 7th ahead of Aldershot on 70 points.

Knowing us, we will probably beat Halifax but lose at home to Wealdstone in the final game to screw it all up. Or make the play offs and then make a swift exit!

12 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Typical, textbook Latics will be wins vs Rochdale, Halifax and Oxford followed up with a 1-4 pissboil against already-relegated Wealdstone.

I'm going to the Wealdestone game. My first home game since Aldershot last season. I fully expect us to be out of it by then and limp to a disappointing defeat. Or, for us to need to win to get 7th and limp to a disappointing defeat.

• Like 1

Went to the Halifax game last night. Seen nothing that makes me change my view that we can overtake them. Aldershot have two tricky away games coming up - I expect us to be in the playoffs positions by 10pm next Wednesday...

10 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Went to the Halifax game last night. Seen nothing that makes me change my view that we can overtake them. Aldershot have two tricky away games coming up - I expect us to be in the playoffs positions by 10pm next Wednesday...

Ever the optimist Paddy. 😁

For balance- I don’t think we’ll win  more than one of the four remaining games. 

Finish 10th on 64 points. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

We had a proper wander and look around the main stand, by the way, and there was no sign of either Mellon or Brabin. I did find that quite disappointing, although they may have had scouts there...

22 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

We had a proper wander and look around the main stand, by the way, and there was no sign of either Mellon or Brabin. I did find that quite disappointing, although they may have had scouts there...

Sending scouts or ananysts isn't good enough, it's only  a short distance and smacks of not bothering.

They weren't at the recent youth match either to check if any young player was worthy of a call up. I spotted one.

Training the first team is no excuse, you can't do anything more with that lot, it's only running them round cones anyway.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BP1960 said:

Sending scouts or ananysts isn't good enough, it's only  a short distance and smacks of not bothering.

They weren't at the recent youth match either to check if any young player was worthy of a call up. I spotted one.

Training the first team is no excuse, you can't do anything more with that lot, it's only running them round cones anyway.

There is also the possibility that I just didn't see them and they were there. But we did have a good look around...

3 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

They might have gone in with the 'Fax lunatic fringe

Or they might have done their scouting before the original match date and watched several videos before and since. They will surely know by now how Halifax set up.

As for the youths, there are coaches to report to Murray if and when they feel a player is worth looking at.  And youth players are regularly involved in senior training. 

Atherton was even recently involved in the matchday routine and warm-up.

I  have no doubt these lads will get a chance when our professional coaches/managers decide, not some well-meaning fans.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Boyyou said:

Or they might have done their scouting before the original match date and watched several videos before and since. They will surely know by now how Halifax set up.

As for the youths, there are coaches to report to Murray if and when they feel a player is worth looking at.  And youth players are regularly involved in senior training. 

Atherton was even recently involved in the matchday routine and warm-up.

I  have no doubt these lads will get a chance when our professional coaches/managers decide, not some well-meaning fans.

It's pointless not doing current scouting, the team watched a month ago may be not even start half the players and change their formation.

As Matt Busby used to say, let the opposition worry about us. You do need good players though.

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

It's pointless not doing current scouting, the team watched a month ago may be not even start half the players and change their formation.

As Matt Busby used to say, let the opposition worry about us. You do need good players though.

You can't seriously tell me that an experienced manager has not had Halifax scouted more than once, has not done video analysis or, by this stage of the season, worked out their preferred formation and their Plan B.

As for players changing, it happens all the time with injury, suspension, loss of form. Doesn't mean the system will change drastically.

We won't know until an hour before KO how they are lining up - and vice versa - but the general principles will not have changed out of all recognition.

And I  bet both managers say don't worry about them, concentrate on what we want to do.

24 minutes ago, Boyyou said:

You can't seriously tell me that an experienced manager has not had Halifax scouted more than once, has not done video analysis or, by this stage of the season, worked out their preferred formation and their Plan B.

As for players changing, it happens all the time with injury, suspension, loss of form. Doesn't mean the system will change drastically.

We won't know until an hour before KO how they are lining up - and vice versa - but the general principles will not have changed out of all recognition.

And I  bet both managers say don't worry about them, concentrate on what we want to do.

Been there done it, teams can be completely different even in the next game, you look for strengths and weaknesses and set plays, more often than not players forget what they've been told anyway.

I once warned a manager about a centre forward who I said must not

at all costs be allowed to turn on his left side and shoot at goal.

What happened you ask?

Well he did just that and scored in the first minute of the game.

When I asked the manager why this was allowed to happen he replied.

"Let it happen...I told them and  pinned a big  #@>&× note on dressing door before they went out".😆