National League Thread

2 minutes ago, LaticsEddie said:

I hope the irony of calling a whole generation nonsense when you have just come out with a red faced tirade about a stats tool and the word soccer is not lost on you.

The short of it is that some teams try to "moneyball" it but most use it as a way for scouts to watch more players easier

Just to enlighten you, many players are signed these days on stats and past reputation not taking into account the most important thing of all, are they 100% fit from injuries which have prevented them playing for a long time so cannot have been currently scouted.

Agents will big sell any player and clubs need to ask why?

1 minute ago, BP1960 said:

Just to enlighten you, many players are signed these days on stats and past reputation not taking into account the most important thing of all, are they 100% fit from injuries which have prevented them playing for a long time so cannot have been currently scouted.

Agents will big sell any player and clubs need to ask why?

Yes I can imagine thats an issue and an oversight for sure but I dont think thats a byproduct of the use of stats tools. It's really quite easy to see (and hard to miss) large gaps in playing minutes for players.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

That probably applies to all Mellon’s signings….maybe he got lucky with Stones.
I suppose 1 out of 7 ain’t bad!!😂😂

50 minutes ago, LaticsEddie said:

I hope the irony of calling a whole generation nonsense when you have just come out with a red faced tirade about a stats tool and the word soccer is not lost on you.

The short of it is that some teams try to "moneyball" it but most use it as a way for scouts to watch more players easier

I do wonder when people started getting cross about 'soccer'.  It was certainly referred to as hat pretty commonly when I was growing up and i don't recall anyone having an epi about it.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

That probably applies to all Mellon’s signings….maybe he got lucky with Stones.
I suppose 1 out of 7 ain’t bad!!😂😂

We know that the agent who bigged up Walker was David Eyres, and he gets a free pass with some because of his status here.  Still failed to make any meaningful impact wherever he's been.

• Like 1

On 4/8/2024 at 9:36 AM, Dave_Og said:

Very possible that we'll be watching either Braintree or Chelmsford next season.  Both places I've been to (although Braintree have a new ground now) for what were local derbies in Conference South.  Chelmsford would be a whole new level of Southern Leisure Centre, it having a single stand and being in the middle of an athletics track

Did we play Chelmsford at BP in the FA Cup in the late 90's?

4 minutes ago, JohnH said:

As a consequence of tonight's postponement, Gateshead must now complete 4 matches before their final game a week on Saturday.

How?

They already have a game Thursday as well. So imagine be that, Saturday, Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday 

Aldershot will have to travel to Gateshead to play the Thursday night before the early Saturday ko?

Unlikely I think. More likely have to rejig to Saturday, Monday, Wednesday.

What a mess.

2 minutes ago, JohnH said:

Aldershot will have to travel to Gateshead to play the Thursday night before the early Saturday ko?

Unlikely I think. More likely have to rejig to Saturday, Monday, Wednesday.

What a mess.

They won't change games already scheduled. 

In 1989/90 we played Sunday Tuesday Thursday Saturday Monday if memory serves. And I'm pretty sure we didn't have a game postponed. Footballers today eh?

1 hour ago, astottie said:

They won't change games already scheduled. 

In 1989/90 we played Sunday Tuesday Thursday Saturday Monday if memory serves. And I'm pretty sure we didn't have a game postponed. Footballers today eh?

Was it not something similar in '94 too?  We lost to Spurs on a Thursday and drew with Norwich on the Saturday and got relegated. Penalised for FA Cup run.  And a shit pitch.

We ain't got no dogs in the fight here.  No chance of making the play-offs.  Lets not worry about who plays who when.  We've got bigger issues!

10 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Was it not something similar in '94 too?  We lost to Spurs on a Thursday and drew with Norwich on the Saturday and got relegated. Penalised for FA Cup run.  And a shit pitch.

We ain't got no dogs in the fight here.  No chance of making the play-offs.  Lets not worry about who plays who when.  We've got bigger issues!

This is the National League thread, where we do talk about other clubs in the league and their issues, surely?

10 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

30 Oct 1999 Oldham Athletic v Chelmsford City W 4-0

9 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

No bells

Is with me. I was in Thailand at the time and remember being in an internet cafe desperately trying to grab any information about the game that evening.

19 minutes ago, JoeP said:

I think that match only moved to Thursday to accomodate Sky Sports who showed it live. I don't think we had another match that midweek.

Anyway, Southend have moved above us who may have put themselves tentatively in the frame too. What an achievement from them though. My personal first choice when looking for DU's replacement was Maher, who perhaps may have been attracted away amongst the chaos that was going on there. I've got a feeling he'll stay there post-takeover and become a club legend, more than he already is. Potential to be a top manager.

Wealdstone are fucked though. They're going to need a result of some kind at our place aren't they? 

25 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Is with me. I was in Thailand at the time and remember being in an internet cafe desperately trying to grab any information about the game that evening.

I think that match only moved to Thursday to accomodate Sky Sports who showed it live. I don't think we had another match that midweek.

Saturday against West Ham, Tuesday against Sheff Utd, Thursday against Spurs and then Norwich on the Saturday says Wiki.

I remember vague rumblings of injustice at it, but in reality we were just demoralised after THAT goal... which happened 30 years ago tomorrow!

41 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Saturday against West Ham, Tuesday against Sheff Utd, Thursday against Spurs and then Norwich on the Saturday says Wiki.

I remember vague rumblings of injustice at it, but in reality we were just demoralised after THAT goal... which happened 30 years ago tomorrow!

I'm surprised. I knew we had a lot of midweek games including both Sheffield clubs. Didn't realise that they were as clustered together.

Oh yeah, the FA Cup had such a big demoralising effect. I remember us playing West Ham at home the Saturday after. We lost 1-2, against a pretty poor team. It was light and day the difference in form from Feb-March to April-May either side of those matches.

I don't blame them for what happened after that. We needed instant promotion and the cloth wasn't just cut, it was hacked to ribbons by the board. 

Edited by Frankly Mr Shankly

1 hour ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

I'm surprised. I knew we had a lot of midweek games including both Sheffield clubs. Didn't realise that they were as clustered together.

Oh yeah, the FA Cup had such a big demoralising effect. I remember us playing West Ham at home the Saturday after. We lost 1-2, against a pretty poor team. It was light and day the difference in form from Feb-March to April-May either side of those matches.

I don't blame them for what happened after that. We needed instant promotion and the cloth wasn't just cut, it was hacked to ribbons by the board. 

I remember Sheffield United scoring on the Tuesday night and them singing 'you're going down with the Swindon Town' and then they ended up coming down with us!

Looking at the table that season. Can't believe how tight it was at the bottom, 7 clubs within 5 points if you exclude Swindon.

On 4/8/2024 at 9:36 AM, Dave_Og said:

Very possible that we'll be watching either Braintree or Chelmsford next season . . . 

**** yeah!

Now we're safe, all eyes on whether C*lchester get relegated.

That would be the icing on the cake.

1 hour ago, Glossop Shrimper said:

**** yeah!

Now we're safe, all eyes on whether C*lchester get relegated.

That would be the icing on the cake.

That would halve the distance to my nearest NL ground 

It really shows how bad we have been this season with Southend now above us. All their off field problems still a winding up petition no squad for most of the season. We need to cut the excuses now about rebuilding and it takes time. Time to start delivering 

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, BradKnowles1 said:

It really shows how bad we have been this season with Southend now above us. All their off field problems still a winding up petition no squad for most of the season. We need to cut the excuses now about rebuilding and it takes time. Time to start delivering 

And Solihull’s situation. Hardly any players and picked up plenty of points recently. 

18 minutes ago, dannyboy55555 said:

And Solihull’s situation. Hardly any players and picked up plenty of points recently. 

Impossible, every manager needs a summer transfer window or they can't possibly improve anything.