National League Thread

Just been watching the news and the really sad coverage of poor Rochdale. First relegation out of the FL. 

WHAT A LOAD OF BOLLOCKS!!!! Rochdale finished bottom of tier four on a number of occasions but were voted back in by their mates (owners of the other clubs) in their division. Yes, technically, they weren't relegated, but only because Division Four chairmen had their own branch of the masons. 

Last year, they took the piss out of us, big time. Well, now who's laughing? And if they think they will be a big club in this league, it matters not (and they won't be a big club until they go down to the NW Counties) because these clubs do not, as a rule, simply roll over, no matter how small they may be.

Welcome to hell, our six fingered neighbours. I'm going to enjoy taking all six points against you, while listening to your banjo playing and seeing you getting wrecked on moonshine. Let's hope you follow Scunny, all the way down.  

• Like 9

1 hour ago, bigfatjoe1 said:

Just been watching the news and the really sad coverage of poor Rochdale. First relegation out of the FL. 

WHAT A LOAD OF BOLLOCKS!!!! Rochdale finished bottom of tier four on a number of occasions but were voted back in by their mates (owners of the other clubs) in their division. Yes, technically, they weren't relegated, but only because Division Four chairmen had their own branch of the masons. 

Last year, they took the piss out of us, big time. Well, now who's laughing? And if they think they will be a big club in this league, it matters not (and they won't be a big club until they go down to the NW Counties) because these clubs do not, as a rule, simply roll over, no matter how small they may be.

Welcome to hell, our six fingered neighbours. I'm going to enjoy taking all six points against you, while listening to your banjo playing and seeing you getting wrecked on moonshine. Let's hope you follow Scunny, all the way down.  

Yeah but what do you really think?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bigfatjoe1 said:

Err, so did we. 

2 hours ago, bigfatjoe1 said:

I hate to break it to you, but even with their rather dire history, they are bigger than 19 other likely National League 2023/24 clubs. If Notts County go up we are comfortably the biggest National League club in 2023/24. 

Doesn’t mean I don’t want them to not go down though. 

1 hour ago, rudemedic said:

I hate to break it to you, but even with their rather dire history, they are bigger than 19 other likely National League 2023/24 clubs. If Notts County go up we are comfortably the biggest National League club in 2023/24. 

Doesn’t mean I don’t want them to not go down though. 

It's a piss take, ffs. Take a chill  pill. 

8 hours ago, bigfatjoe1 said:

Don't hold back Joe. Say what you really mean...

7 hours ago, bigfatjoe1 said:

And? it's a piss take, a reaction to the media coverage and a wind up.

Take a chill pill., ffs.

Very chilled thanks but I do find all the vitriol these days just a bit sad. When I was a kid I'd go with my Dad, my uncle and neighbour to watch Dale if Latics weren't at home. If neither was playing then we'd head to Huddersfield. I'll get slaughtered, no doubt, but I still have a soft spot for both of those clubs 

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

Very chilled thanks but I do find all the vitriol these days just a bit sad. When I was a kid I'd go with my Dad, my uncle and neighbour to watch Dale if Latics weren't at home. If neither was playing then we'd head to Huddersfield. I'll get slaughtered, no doubt, but I still have a soft spot for both of those clubs 

I’m with @Dave_Og regarding the vitriol. Inevitably, and sadly, social media  platforms allow individuals to hide behind pseudonyms and multiple accounts whilst posting very derogatory comment. Though a minority, this only serves to influence terrace behaviour. 

Clubs like Rochdale and Stockport are just like us in many ways. What I find, and always have, is that I look out for certain teams results due to friendships or proximity.

And while I’m on it, one song sung by the Latics away support does my head in… it’s the ‘piss in your sink’ ditty 😮

I know it’s meant to be self-deprecating but it’s just embarrassing. Stop it lads.

Edited by TheBigDog

I'm with @Dave_Og and @TheBigDog on this. I simply don't understand wanting Rochdale to fail and drop another league. How does that help us? Don't we want local derbies against fierce rivals, with the grounds packed to bursting and a tribal atmosphere. When you consider the way the "Premier" League has siphoned off so much money from the national game, to the immense detriment of teams like Oldham and Rochdale (RIP Bury), it's actually pointless and silly wanting to see a local rival decline further. If some of their fans were delighted to see us drop out of the league, well they're short-sighted as well, we don't have to copy them.

I haven't been to Spotland often, but I do remember going with my brother and his mates at the end of the 1968/69 season when they got promoted to Div.3 (it may even have been the game that clinched promotion). We were behind one goal and the stand was absolutely packed, great atmosphere. We were just pleased for a local team. 

I'll be very happy if we stuff them home and away next season, but I hope they get promoted back after we finish as champions.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, IanMarshall's Mullet said:

Down to 11th now. Need a win on Saturday to be sure of top half finish.

In the grand scheme of things it doesn’t hugely matter if we finish 10th-14th, but for me it actually matters. It’s been so long since we’ve had a top 12 finish and a positive GD that it would be nice to see, and just reconfirms the turnaround post Christmas in a more positive light if we can secure top half.  It shows how used to failure we are, when i’m sat here saying i’d be happy with a top half finish in non-league, but after the season we’ve had, and the previous couple of years, it’s at least a step in the right direction. Next season though there will be a whole new level of expectation.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, daniel said:

In the grand scheme of things it doesn’t hugely matter if we finish 10th-14th, but for me it actually matters. It’s been so long since we’ve had a top 12 finish and a positive GD that it would be nice to see, and just reconfirms the turnaround post Christmas in a more positive light if we can secure top half.  It shows how used to failure we are, when i’m sat here saying i’d be happy with a top half finish in non-league, but after the season we’ve had, and the previous couple of years, it’s at least a step in the right direction. Next season though there will be a whole new level of expectation.

Agreed. It's why I don't think we'll be 'on the beach'. A top half finish is quite symbolic in terms of turning the club around.

28 minutes ago, daniel said:

I'm looking forward to Saturday to see how much we  have  improved on the performance  down at their tin shed ground  when we had only one effort on goal as I recall.

42 minutes ago, dannyboy55555 said:

Their tin shed ground with vastly superior facilities to BP.

It had a better bar and  steak pie as I remarked on my post match comment but their home end is a tin shed

6 hours ago, Flemboy said:

It had a better bar and  steak pie as I remarked on my post match comment but their home end is a tin shed

I'm not right impressed with the pies in the JR stand. I've tries the chicken curry and the steak but they've all been lukewarm.

A pie has just got to be hot. Please please hear my prayer Mr Pie Man, serve your pies hot.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, redlion said:

I'm not right impressed with the pies in the JR stand. I've tries the chicken curry and the steak but they've all been lukewarm.

A pie has just got to be hot. Please please hear my prayer Mr Pie Man, serve your pies hot.

They’re not just lukewarm they’re also really shite….the steak pies are do bland and literally don’t taste of anything!

Edited by oafc1955

12 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

They’re not just lukewarm they’re also really shite….the steak pies are do bland and literally don’t taste of anything!

Yeah I agree about the steak pie but at the last game I sat behind a woman who had a meat & spud pie and the aroma (of the pie) was quite appealing so I'm going to try one on Saturday. I just hope it's hot. Is anyone familiar with the pies at the Village Manor Bakery in Waterhead ? These are the standard of pies that should be on sale at BP, especially for a club with ambitions. Take note Frank. 😋