National League Thread

Mellon needs to let the leash off now. We’re getting cut adrift. Be more expansive, if we’re more open and we concede so be it. At least fail trying than attempting to scrape thru.

We absolutely need 7/9 out of the next 3 games. Problem is I think it’ll be 6 and we’ll get brushed aside at Alty. Solihull are the ones to catch for me. They’re running out of players.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, GKing521 said:

Gateshead will cook us if we somehow sneak in. Forget this season. It's fucked.

You literally can’t wait to throw your blanket of pessimism on here, can you. Five minutes after full time. It must be exhausting being you, no?

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

We need to remember that all the teams around us are fallable it's not entirely beyond the realms of possibility that we could be back in the race this time next week.

There's still enough games left for it to turn around as quickly as it went south. 

No silly bollocks on Friday, though. I'd say we've got to view it as a must win..

• Like 1

Solihull are 6 in front of us, we've mustered 4 points in 5 games of Mellonball worrying about not getting beat so the thought that they are the ones in danger is clutching at straws. Anyway if they do drop out it's likely Halifax who'll profit. After the weekend season will be over with games to spare and that will be a huge disappointment.

Let the clear out begin.

Just now, oafc1955 said:

We have to beat Fylde otherwise we’re done!

Don't say that, you'll have some pendant claiming that's not the case.

You're right though it's must win as was last Saturday for me.

• Like 1

How this is panning out just shows how important a solid start to the season is. We've played catch-up since October, really so to get anywhere remotely near in such a physically competitive division should be looked at as a good effort.

I still hold hope we can nip in there in 7th but we'll need to go all out attack for most of those matches. Two of them at least will be on bad, bobbly pitches. Definitely not unsurmountable but the cluster of once-inconsistent teams like Gateshead, Halifax and Alty all stringing fat wins together at the same time are putting the bar a touch further away. I still think 74 points (I thought 72 would be enough last week) will get us there but that equates to four wins and two draws. Very little room for mistake.

I just hope we can finish the season with at least a couple of commanding victories, even if it only serves as momentum to take into next season.

16 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Thinking about it we must win Friday but we will also have to beat Altrincham & Halifax…..tbh I fear it’ll be over by Monday.

I think we need 4 wins from 6. Ideally not losing against Halifax or Alty but draws wouldn’t be the end of the world there. We couldn’t ask for an easier end to the season either in Oxford and Wealdstone. It’s still in our hands…. Just! 

The defeat at Aldershot is looking like a major blow at this moment in time. Without that swing in their favour, it’d all be up for grabs, even with our run of draws.

If we can displace any teams, it’ll be Solihull or Aldershot who we could trump on goal difference if level on points. We might have to catch both teams if Halifax continue to win.

Its a shame it’s come to scrambling around like this as most would’ve heavily backed us 10 games ago when we looked certs for the playoffs.

4 hours ago, Sloshed Joe said:

The defeat at Aldershot is looking like a major blow at this moment in time. Without that swing in their favour, it’d all be up for grabs, even with our run of draws.

If we can displace any teams, it’ll be Solihull or Aldershot who we could trump on goal difference if level on points. We might have to catch both teams if Halifax continue to win.

Its a shame it’s come to scrambling around like this as most would’ve heavily backed us 10 games ago when we looked certs for the playoffs.

Personally I blame the weak as piss performances at home to Eastleigh, Ebbsfleet, Woking and Kidderminster for our demise, I know our away form compensated for those results but still all four of those results were shocking and all under Mellon. Win two of those and we would be just fine.

A draw at Dagenham would normally be seen as an okay result, that draw isn't what's killed us.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

You literally can’t wait to throw your blanket of pessimism on here, can you. Five minutes after full time. It must be exhausting being you, no?

The sad thing is, he might just be proved right

Fylde are much improved of late. They beat us hands down at their place in a totally one sided game. They will certainly not fear coming here with our home record and If they can produce a similar display we will be in deep shit!!

Non of this keep it tight and nick one attitude we need to be on the front foot from the first whistle.

This is an absolute must win game, lose it and I don’t see any way back!

2 hours ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

The sad thing is, he might just be proved right

If you have @GKing521 glass half empty outlook every time with Latics you’ll be proved right much more often than proved wrong. Running to his keyboard as soon as shit goes down though. That’s something else.

Sophie Ellis Bextor in her theaudience days did sing “A pessimist is never disappointed” I guess. 😀

• Like 3

I am just back from holiday and all I know about Dagenham is the result and it was awful AGAIN.

I am assuming the players were booed off and judging by the 16 pages on the match thread anything and everything to do with Oldham has been slated.

All I want to say is that none of it can change the result. The only thing we can do is try to influence the next result on Friday.

It's down to a 6 match season. Mentioning certain matches that if we would have won etc. is not changing anything (although I do that as well). 

We have got to focus , do our bit , support the team on matchdays and let's just see.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mick26 said:

Didn't Gateshead lose 4 or 5 of their best players mid way through the season as well as their manager?

Yes, how do they manage to look such a good team whilst losing their manager plus some of their best players in mid season

And they do it on average attendances of little more than 1,000 with 5 games being watched by less than 1,000. They look a very good team, score lots of goals ( 25 more than us ), and are on course for promotion. 

The people running that club on what must be a shoestring budget deserve a medal, and all the success in the world.

And have we played them 5 times in the last 2 seasons, and not managed a single win ?

Edited by 100milesaway
  • Like 1