Playing Squad - Summer 23

7 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

ST saying they are looking to get McGahey out on loan to get match fit for us. Considering Raglan can’t get in the squad consistently I hope have no idea why we need this lump. 

He's as fit as I've ever seen him to be fair.

1 hour ago, diggleblue said:

There will be some fun had with this revelation.

Sutton being asked to a job on £330 pw. 

The mental gymnastics going on inside players' heads when somebody on the pitch is on double or triple your own wages and your perception is that they ain't doing enough or as much.

13 minutes ago, Wardie said:

Sutton being asked to a job on £330 pw.

You surely don’t believe that to be true, that’s below the minimum wage….I have also been told from a usually reliable source that Norwood’s wage exceeds £4K a week!

Just now, oafc1955 said:

You surely don’t believe that to be true, that’s below the minimum wage….I have also been told from a usually reliable source that Norwood’s wage exceeds £4K a week!

Thing is, who do we believe...the site's "Reliable sources" or yours?

It would beggar belief for Sutton to be on that and be on the same pitch as Nuttall, for example and if players see this and believe it, then I can fully understand how issues [grudges] would arise and affect performances. Too much info is a dangerous thing, especially if it is unreliable.

1 hour ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Looking at positions that's been lifted from football manager

Could be but once something is out there, then it's out there and open to interpretation. Slightly OT but I wonder how much this message board is viewed by club and players.

It's not like it's any surprise though, is it? Disparity in wages has been a thing in dressing rooms since the dawn of time. If anything it should be a motivator for those at the bottom of the pile - "fucking hell he's shit and still earns six times what I do - I'm going to pull my tripe out ahead of negotiations about my next contract, if they're willing to pay him that they can do the same for me".

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, oafcmetty said:

It's not like it's any surprise though, is it? Disparity in wages has been a thing in dressing rooms since the dawn of time. If anything it should be a motivator for those at the bottom of the pile - "fucking hell he's shit and still earns six times what I do - I'm going to pull my tripe out ahead of negotiations about my next contract, if they're willing to pay him that they can do the same for me".

Yeah there’s also a number of factors in the disparity. Youth v Experience, playing position, previous pedigree. 

Norwood will be on a lot more than Reid and Nuttall and rightly so. 

1 hour ago, oafcmetty said:

As you say and it happens in local league cricket when there's often 1 highly paid professional and the rest amateurs who look up them and perform to the best of their ability.

However, if the professional isn't performing it could cause problems -in which case they usually don't stay long.

Edited by BP1960

16 hours ago, Wardie said:

Thing is, who do we believe...the site's "Reliable sources" or yours?

It would beggar belief for Sutton to be on that and be on the same pitch as Nuttall, for example and if players see this and believe it, then I can fully understand how issues [grudges] would arise and affect performances. Too much info is a dangerous thing, especially if it is unreliable.

As @oafc1955 said, it's below the National Minimum Wage which somewhat undermines the credibility.

2 hours ago, Hemel latic said:

As @oafc1955 said, it's below the National Minimum Wage which somewhat undermines the credibility.

Is it if you work a 40 week. 

Footballers work a 15 hour a week if that, which would put a young player on over £20 a hour. (Not great by football standards) but still decent for a 20 year old. 

10 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Is it if you work a 40 week. 

Footballers work a 15 hour a week if that, which would put a young player on over £20 a hour. (Not great by football standards) but still decent for a 20 year old. 

A footballer’s week is indeterminate and is basically as and when required.

For instance an away trip to say Southend which if you include a stopover could account for 30 hours at least, even the shortest of trips to the likes of Rochdale would account for probably 8!!

3 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

A footballer’s week is indeterminate and is basically as and when required.

For instance an away trip to say Southend which if you include a stopover could account for 30 hours at least, even the shortest of trips to the likes of Rochdale would account for probably 8!!

Aye, that’s true. So the minimum wage point is moot anyway. Is he being paid to sit on a bus or have a massage. . . or to actually play football. The answer is all of it. 

Wether it’s true or not- £330 for a young division 5 player on the fringes of the first team seems reasonable to me. 

12 minutes ago, League one forever said:

😂

Come on Dave, which bit? 

As I went onto say- it’s difficult to measure their working hours as 55 says - it’s indeterminate. 

So I think £330 for a Sutton level player is fair- do you not? 

It strikes me as very low.  But then again I suspect that list is bollox anyway - who would know other than the club?  Surely they're not leaking the whole wage bill!