Summer 2023 Player Signing News & Rumours

2 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

He signed a right wing back, presumably to play right wing back...

Isn’t a full back in a 433 more of a wing back anyway as they’re expected to provide width in attack? Asked a Sheff Utd supporting mate about him and he said all their kids are coached to be a attacking full/wing backs. 

1 hour ago, whittles left foot said:

I cannot believe that there are still posters who think money can be made from running/owning a football club. do they never read a paper or look at  BBC Sport etc and see what a money pit football is at just about every level?

Sort of what I was going to (politely!) say. If the replies to my previous query are right i.e. Nuttall possibly on circa £250k/year then normal operating losses will currently be massive (i.e. without people throwing shed loads of their own money in). Common sense tells you this cannot be an investment, even in the Premiership I think we only averaged 15,000 home attendance (maybe a little less over our whole tenure).

The owner clearly has great passion as a person and maybe he is just a good old-fashioned philanthropist that's fallen for his local club. It seems that way. Hope somebody is watching his back now, though, because the level of some player wages being talked about are not just excessive; they are reckless and can soon kill a club (i.e. if anything changes suddenly regarding ownership and/orwillingness to continue funding etc).

1 hour ago, TheBigDog said:

Er…in 2016 he might have been..last time I checked, it’s 2024 😉

I can't figure you out sometimes.
Negativity or tongue-in-cheek? :D 

Garner is a good signing for this level of football.

We're non-league. If he'd gone to one of our rivals, I'm pretty sure we would be saying how good a signing it was for this level. I can't imagine many [if any] defences relishing the thought of the possibility of potentially facing up to Norwood, Dallas and Garner in the opposition's forward line..with big Mike waiting in the wings.

Over to you, Mr Mellon.

6 minutes ago, Wardie said:

We're non-league. If he'd gone to one of our rivals, I'm pretty sure we would be saying how good a signing it was for this level. I can't imagine many [if any] defences relishing the thought of the possibility of potentially facing up to Norwood, Dallas and Garner in the opposition's forward line..with big Mike waiting in the wings.

Be honest though. Is it a position you would sign given the other failings in the team? Can have all the forwards in the world (which we seem to have) but we cannot get the ball  to them.

2 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

If they were that bad an investment then all clubs below the Prem would be fan owned and run ultra-prudently, wouldn’t they? It’s only when the milk starts to turn sour they become a millstone for a disinterested owner.

But they are a bad investment-business sense seems to fly out the window with football ownership-something I dearly hope is not going to happen to us BUT the signs are not good at the moment. I am amazed that I actually have to contemplate this after what has happened in the past.

Depending upon sugar daddies and foreign owned money laundering is not a viable business plan but it is happening all around us in this sport.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

Be honest though. Is it a position you would sign given the other failings in the team? Can have all the forwards in the world (which we seem to have) but we cannot get the ball  to them.

I totally agree, we need more in midfield to feed the strikers and not punting it over the top like the donkeys were doing last Saturday. That's down to Mellon to make sure they don't do that. We've seen glimpses of what our midfield can do, he needs to get them consistent.

I still believe our forward line is now the best in this league, even beyond Chesterfield's..we just need the rest to step up to the mark.

2 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

But they are a bad investment-business sense seems to fly out the window with football ownership-something I dearly hope is not going to happen to us BUT the signs are not good at the moment. I am amazed that I actually have to contemplate this after what has happened in the past.

Depending upon sugar daddies and foreign owned money laundering is not a viable business plan but it is happening all around us in this sport.

It's not just football and the club with the Rothwell's, it's the town of Oldham, the community and the value of the club to the community and sports in the town. The guy is an altruistic philanthropist, that's why he is rowing the Atlantic for a good cause. It's in his nature.

• Like 2

Could be complete bollocks- but someone on Twitter reckons Mansfield have bid for Nors. Just to add a little weight to it, Nigel Clough was in the press today to say 3 bids have gone in for strikers. 

Could be why we’ve signed Garner. . . 

Edited by League one forever

1 minute ago, nzlatic said:

You’re thinking about it as just the football club though. There are bigger plans for the plot as a whole. That should increase the overall value of the club. 

There's also the hospitality, merchandising, and Oldham RFC rent bringing in money, Crowds are up too.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

If we aren’t playing him and have no intention to do so then we might as well do a deal. If a club is willing to pay him £800 a week we knock the equivalent £800 a week off his settlement. Or we do a loan deal until the end of next season and continue paying his salary less £800?

We would take a huge hit but still be saving £50k over the 17 months left on his contract.

If we offer him a lump sum he might take a little less which would effectively save us more and surely It would be better than him sitting on his arse here for 17 months and being generally a ‘bad egg’ around the place?

If I was Mellon and knew I wanted rid of Nuttall and there was no way back for him,I would tell him to turn up for training at 9 or10am each morning.I would then tell him ro run around rhe pitch once and then I would say right fuck off now, you can go home, same time tomorrow please.He would have used money on petrol and would soon get sick of having to come in everyday.He might then agree to go out on loan. Someone like Curzon Ashton might have him.They probably wouldn't be able to pay any of his wages but if he started scoring goals for them then someone else might take a chance on him and we could get rid. Currently we are paying his wage for no return and whose gonna sign him unless they see him playing. I still can't believe the naivity of the club. Nuttall on massive wage for no effort and Unsworth given 3 year contract with no previous experience. 

Everybody these days have to have work appraisals but clearly football players and managers are exempt.

Football is a joke.No wonder so many clubs go tips up.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

If you are looking for a financial return they are terrible investments you are right. But most don't do it for thst it's often for a love of the sport and abit of fame too it can stroke people egos. 

I think with the Rothwells it is more a case of civic duty that they are doing this. They probably see it as an investment in the town itself. I think we all realise that their pockets are only so deep and with the parachute payments ending this summer and with the majority of the squad contracted beyond the summer then you do wonder how much wiggle room or resource will be available this summer.

I think they are in this for the long haul though. I do hope though that they aren't gambling on getting promoted and then thinking the club will be profitable because while our revenue will clearly jump so too will the asking price of players that we will need to compete at that level. That said its not something I will be losing sleep over just yet.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

I think they are in this for the long haul though. I do hope though that they aren't gambling on getting promoted and then thinking the club will be profitable because while our revenue will clearly jump so too will the asking price of players that we will need to compete at that level. That said its not something I will be losing sleep over just yet

Good point-as we climb up the leagues hopefully then expenses rise with it and we are no better off.

The words profit and football do not mix well.

• Like 1

What I don't understand with players just sitting out their contracts is that surely they are de-valuing themselves when they eventually move on. So it may only be a short-term gain but it is self-defeating.

A player could command a better weekly wage from a club if they have only been out for a few weeks/months but if they don't play for the first team for a full year or so then a new club is going to not want to pay high wages to a player who hasn't played.

Also it is going to put off clubs because if they just take the wage then it says a lot about the character of the player and who would want that type in your club.

1 hour ago, diggleblue said:

If I was Mellon and knew I wanted rid of Nuttall and there was no way back for him,I would tell him to turn up for training at 9 or10am each morning.I would then tell him ro run around rhe pitch once and then I would say right fuck off now, you can go home, same time tomorrow please.He would have used money on petrol and would soon get sick of having to come in everyday.He might then agree to go out on loan. Someone like Curzon Ashton might have him.They probably wouldn't be able to pay any of his wages but if he started scoring goals for them then someone else might take a chance on him and we could get rid. Currently we are paying his wage for no return and whose gonna sign him unless they see him playing. I still can't believe the naivity of the club. Nuttall on massive wage for no effort and Unsworth given 3 year contract with no previous experience. 

Everybody these days have to have work appraisals but clearly football players and managers are exempt.

Football is a joke.No wonder so many clubs go tips up.

Mellon has already said he won’t force players out of the club and won’t banish them from training.

You cannot blame Nuttall for not wanting to walk away, he signed the contract and we did too so unfortunately we have to honour it!

OK, you say he has a bad attitude, maybe do but he probably realises that he will never command that sort of money again so who can blame him?

He would be giving up £200k over 17 months which is 7 years salary for the average worker.

He’s not going to play at all so I would get shut even if we have to pay him 2/3 of his salary. It’s a big hit but like I’ve said previously if we don’t it’s an even bigger hit!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Mellon has already said he won’t force players out of the club and won’t banish them from training.

You cannot blame Nuttall for not wanting to walk away, he signed the contract and we did too so unfortunately we have to honour it!

OK, you say he has a bad attitude, maybe do but he probably realises that he will never command that sort of money again so who can blame him?

He would be giving up £200k over 17 months which is 7 years salary for the average worker.

He’s not going to play at all so I would get shut even if we have to pay him 2/3 of his salary. It’s a big hit but like I’ve said previously if we don’t it’s an even bigger hit!

If we had a B team he and the others could play in that and earn their corn.  Outstanding youths could also  gain valuable experience, which IMO is far better than the situation now. Why Latics don't join the Central League North when some good EFL clubs are in there is beyond me. 

Edited by BP1960

8 hours ago, League one forever said:

Could be complete bollocks- but someone on Twitter reckons Mansfield have bid for Nors. Just to add a little weight to it, Nigel Clough was in the press today to say 3 bids have gone in for strikers. 

Could be why we’ve signed Garner. . . 

On Mansfields forum site they seemed to think it’s Tom Nicholls. The guy on Twitter who said it was a chesterfield fan, clearly on the wind up. 

• Like 1

The way recruitment has been handled since the Rothwell money came in has been pretty appalling, we have signed sooo many players with very few actually making an impact and now have a huge but still unbalanced squad.

Surely that is on Mr Royle Jr and DU and his team when they were running the show. Hopefully now we are recruiting to a better plan but I am still not entirely convinced.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

I wonder if he was on performance related pay his game might have perked up a bit. Can’t blame him in a way but it still grips my s**t that players can be paid so much for failing to deliver . 

11 hours ago, Wardie said:

I can't figure you out sometimes.
Negativity or tongue-in-cheek? :D 

Over to you, Mr Mellon.

My response was to a post that quoted a Preston fan waxing lyrical about Garner… I merely pointed out that he played for Preston EIGHT years ago…👀

On 1/31/2024 at 10:31 AM, Oldham_till_i_die said:

we’ve made a signing. to be announced later today…

23 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

Joe Garner mentioned…hope not he’s 35!!

21 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Defo not him, could be Tshimanga looking at the pics that have been leaked?

20 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

Joe Garner confirmed!!

It's like pieces of a jigsaw puzzle!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ritchierich said:

The way recruitment has been handled since the Rothwell money came in has been pretty appalling, we have signed sooo many players with very few actually making an impact and now have a huge but still unbalanced squad.

Surely that is on Mr Royle Jr and DU and his team when they were running the show. Hopefully now we are recruiting to a better plan but I am still not entirely convinced.

Boycot?

I was listening to the price of football the other day and it was noted that clubs in the NL on average lose more money than clubs in L2. The losses in the NL are more on par with what clubs in L1 lose. Clubs who have gone up in recent years have lost a ridiculous amount of money per week to try and get out of this league. The NL has a bottleneck because of the 1 automatic promotion place and to me it seems to encourage clubs to go all in financially in a desperate attempt to get out. Its not good really and will end up causing a lot of clubs problems, us included if we aren't careful. 

• Like 1