Unsworth Out

3 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

No but their crowds are none league, training set a bit random (altho better thanwhat we did when he was here!!)

and it can't be easy to get players to go or stay there

They train in Manchester and the gym they use is the one on Elk Mill. They initially moved their training base up this end about 15 years ago cos they were struggling to get people to move to the area. If Oldham really wanted him, I reckon it would cost them more than Norwood has done due to the long term contract he's on there. It's not happening...

16 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Don't know the numbers but haven't they had another windfall from the Vaughan deal and selling the young lad to Newcastle?

Not sure to be honest, I just can’t see the budget being the same with who we’ve brought in, and there’s more room for one or two others yet we are led to believe 

8 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

They train in Manchester and the gym they use is the one on Elk Mill. They initially moved their training base up this end about 15 years ago cos they were struggling to get people to move to the area. If Oldham really wanted him, I reckon it would cost them more than Norwood has done due to the long term contract he's on there. It's not happening...

exactly its a bit random!!

but l duly note your its not happening 

He’s been off a week now and not heard a peep from him.

After the Southend debacle he’s probably laying low!

Being at home however shouldn’t excuse him from airing his views on the club website!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

He’s been off a week now and not heard a peep from him.

After the Southend debacle he’s probably laying low!

Being at home however shouldn’t excuse him from airing his views on the club website!

Do we often hear from managers 3/4 days before a game?

Just now, yarddog73 said:

Anyone who thinks Unsworth is on the same budget as Shez was last season is off their tits, that's before you factor in the transfer fees we've laid out.

I think we can all understand they would be referring to the budget at the end, not the start, of last season.

3 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

His views on the Southend game would be welcome don’t you think?

Not really, no. What is he going to say other than it was very disappointing, took us by surprise, working hard this week to put it right?

1 hour ago, mcfluff1985 said:

It is one game with his new squad. They will still take time to gel  we saw that last season. Lot of new faces there getting used to playing with others.

Has he seemingly binned these better players off? It's absolute speculation that's very slowly started to become fact as does a lot on here.

He's not particularly boring or dull, but his football is, I can't argue otherwise. Need to win and if we do, its different story. Continue losing and playing shit and then the situation should rightly be considered, but about 10-15 games in

15 games in and we are in the same position as last season, that's another year wasted. The manager hasn't got what it takes, we need to get rid and find someone who will at least give us a bit of hope. 

• Like 1

We are all eager to hear his view on the Southend crash but we all know it will be deflection at it's finest because he has that down to an art. I don't dislike him either because he seems a likeable person, however, his one-way-street, blinkered mindset on the game appears to be nothing short of ludicrous. We can speculate and cogitate all we want to, in the end it will have no bearing on the outcome, regardless of if Latics lose three or ten games. Fans have no influence apart from not attending games to watch the crap, spineless football, should it continue to be served up.

I was considering taking out the viewing package through my VPN because I was genuinely optimistic that some form of entertaining, attacking football would be on offer. I think I will wait a little longer. I really miss going to BP and would love to go to every home game, the flip-side is I am probably saving myself from a lot of emotional grief and anger. I feel the Rothwells have brought the club back to fans and Unsworth is pulling the rug out from underneath all their hard work.

• Like 4

There is literally nothing Unsworth could say about Southend that would please those who want him sacked now. Other than “I resign” obviously. 

I do think this season will be viewed differently by the board. Last year was a complete free hit and they could afford to give him time as no one could seriously have expected promotion. 

The form in the second half of the season justified the board backing him even if the football was poor. But this season is all about kicking on. They’ve backed him with signings and all the talk is of expecting a serious promotion push. He won’t get anywhere near as much time or leeway this season. And rightly so. 1 game is too soon. He wasn’t even there. But I don’t think the board will let promotion get out of reach before acting. I hope so anyway. 

• Like 3

I’m going to the Halifax game before I emigrate to Australia at the start of September.
If we’re dire against Aldershot and the same vs Halifax then I’ll be going upto the dugout to tell him to his face.

I’ll reiterate my points mentioned previously:

We will not progress with him in charge.

We will not foster a culture, identity or style of football under him.

His reputation within the game is not great, we don’t get every player we’re after. 
At least 20 of the other 23 managers would have done and would do better with the resources he has. Kevin Maher is ex-Oldham and has shown himself already to be a better manager than Unsworth, as has Mike Williamson.

Also, Darren Royle isn’t all he’s cracked up to be, he is hated by Wigan fans but has engineered himself into his dream role here. It’s truly great he brought Frank in but it’s nepotism keeping Unsworth in a job. 

2 hours ago, mcfluff1985 said:

It is one game with his new squad. They will still take time to gel  we saw that last season. Lot of new faces there getting used to playing with others.

Has he seemingly binned these better players off? It's absolute speculation that's very slowly started to become fact as does a lot on here.

He's not particularly boring or dull, but his football is, I can't argue otherwise. Need to win and if we do, its different story. Continue losing and playing shit and then the situation should rightly be considered, but about 10-15 games in

Never in a million year's can that be allowed to happen and I'm sure it won't after Saturday's non event 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, deyres42 said:

I think we can all understand they would be referring to the budget at the end, not the start, of last season.

I think we can all understand my point still applies, if you think Norwood, Willoughby, Lundstrum, Ward, Raglan and Hobson are on the sort of wages that those we shifted out since the end of last season were on then I give up, Norwood alone was on about 6k at Barnsley and I don't think he was keen to come here for less, I'd hazard a guess those 6 alone would be pulling in 20k+ between them and we look worse.

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

I think we can all understand my point still applies, if you think Norwood, Willoughby, Lundstrum, Ward, Raglan and Hobson are on the sort of wages that those we shifted out since the end of last season were on then I give up, Norwood alone was on about 6k at Barnsley and I don't think he was keen to come here for less, I'd hazard a guess those 6 alone would be pulling in 20k+ between them and we look worse.

It's not the individual wages it's the total wage and I'd fancy Willoughby, Lundstram and Ward are not on massive wages given where they've come from. Our budget is likely bigger than Cheltenham's (we probably have double their average attendance) and Southend's budget is effectively 0. So we probably only had to match what Cheltenham and Southend were paying Raglan and Hobson.

We've had Leutweiler, Clarke J and P, Francis-Angol, Maynard, Stobbs, Porter, Burgess, Sambou, Windass, Abraham, Luamba, Da Silva, Chapman and Yarney all leave. Some of them will have been on reasonable money. I can see how all of them add up to the ones you mentioned (plus Dickenson). That's 15 out and 7 in plus Rooney likely out the door soon. Also we had more players be on our books for a few months on top too.

Season tickets were more expensive this year and we've sold a similar number. We've had some more money in from Harry Vaughan and a lad from the academy. So I can see how our budget this season is similar to what it was  late last season.

14 hours ago, b0ndl1ne said:

I’m going to the Halifax game before I emigrate to Australia at the start of September.
If we’re dire against Aldershot and the same vs Halifax then I’ll be going upto the dugout to tell him to his face.

I’ll reiterate my points mentioned previously:

We will not progress with him in charge.

We will not foster a culture, identity or style of football under him.

His reputation within the game is not great, we don’t get every player we’re after. 
At least 20 of the other 23 managers would have done and would do better with the resources he has. Kevin Maher is ex-Oldham and has shown himself already to be a better manager than Unsworth, as has Mike Williamson.

Also, Darren Royle isn’t all he’s cracked up to be, he is hated by Wigan fans but has engineered himself into his dream role here. It’s truly great he brought Frank in but it’s nepotism keeping Unsworth in a job. 

I know we've been starved of success for over 30 years, but that is (literally) going a bit far!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

As soon as the Athleticos start chanting Unsworth out at consecutive home games he’s gone in my opinion. 

I don't think that should happen, so maybe the Athleticos could start chanting Attack, Attack,  Attack Attack Attack.   Rhino should understand, that fans are fed up with negative defensive tactics. And want to see our team doing their defending on the edge of the oppositions penalty area.

Edited by 100milesaway
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, 100milesaway said:

I don't think that should happen, so maybe the Athleticos could start chanting Attack, Attack,  Attack Attack Attack.   Rhino should understand, that fans are fed up with negative defensive tactics. And want to see our team doing their defending on the edge of the oppositions penalty area.

Should he not be able to work that out himself? 

Edited by JoeP

Just an observation. 

We all want him to get on the front foot more and attack the game. But it’s clearly not in his principles. Imagine him going all out attack and getting rinsed 3-0. 

All I’m saying is, while I hate his football I can understand why he sticks to his principles. If he changed now he’d look even weaker. 

14 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Just an observation. 

We all want him to get on the front foot more and attack the game. But it’s clearly not in his principles. Imagine him going all out attack and getting rinsed 3-0. 

All I’m saying is, while I hate his football I can understand why he sticks to his principles. If he changed now he’d look even weaker. 

Yes, very good point.

Ainsworth at QPR is reportedly looking to change the style of play that got him the job in the first place, bowing to fan pressure.