Unsworth Out

The pod guys @BPAS should maybe start debating whether the utter baloney that DU comes out with after games is actually more destructive to him than just an honest appraisal of how he sees it. He gaslights and, in some cases, outright lies to the interviewer on a regular basis rather than just calling it how it is. Which was he got it massively wrong last night by not changing formation or making the correct substitution. And certainly making out we're not vulnerable to set pieces when it's obvious to anyone who's watched our first three matches that we very much are.

The emperor's new clothes doesn't work with a club that's been starved of any kind of success for 30 years. He's naïve if he thinks this is the case.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Whitts said:

The team was set up the same as Saturday so why would DU change it from the "kick off"?  I thought we were positive from the off and played some decent stuff. Their goals were a good strike from outside the box which probably could have been closed down earlier and a scramble from a set piece.  Neither had anything to do with tactics, they are things that happen in games.  Agree Gardner should have come on second half to change the dynamics and probe more from midfield but I thought we were more likely to go on and win the game in the second half.  Overall, thought we played ok. 

I agree with this. I'm not overly disheartened about the performance last night. 

I would also have brought Gardner on.

• Like 1

There are things he can control and things he can't.

I'm willing to cut a bit of slack as Dickensen and Freeman looked, understandably, absolutely knackered due to their lack of game time over the past 12 months. He also had no real choice but to play Tollitt who for me is not up to scratch and was shocking last night.

With Lundstram and Ward injured, having to play Sheron and Shelton who both have no creativity, is also far from ideal.

However, I can totally understand the frustration of the approach and tactics (both last night and since he's been here) and also the unwillingness to make subs in situations where they're blatantly needed.

I'm on the fence, but he really doesn't help himself at times.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Steve_R said:

Who knows what the next two matches will bring, but I don’t think we can start saying we’ve had one win from five when we’ve only played three

People and certainly I arnt saying that. What people are saying is our away form under Unsworth is shit and we have 2 hard away games coming up (still very winnable with our squad). The reality is, it’s likely if that trend continues it will be 1 win in 5. 

I hope we win both. 

41 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

People and certainly I arnt saying that. What people are saying is our away form under Unsworth is shit and we have 2 hard away games coming up (still very winnable with our squad). The reality is, it’s likely if that trend continues it will be 1 win in 5. 

I hope we win both. 

Our home form has to be the solid foundation that breeds confidence into our away game's,

Right now we don't know if we're coming or going and both games are really tough for any team visiting 

Gardner played 18 times in the league last season. 13 of those appearances were pre the turn of the year, when we were dreadful, with the final 5 of those seeing 4 defeats and one draw. In 2023, when our form turned around, he played the full 90 once, in the 2-2 home draw with Gateshead.

He should be released, not dropped into the starting lineup.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, oafcmetty said:

Gardner played 18 times in the league last season. 13 of those appearances were pre the turn of the year, when we were dreadful, with the final 5 of those seeing 4 defeats and one draw. In 2023, when our form turned around, he played the full 90 once, in the 2-2 home draw with Gateshead.

To be fair though he was one of our best performers 1H last season.....when he wasn't suspended or injured. At least he plays with positive intent.

I'd at least like to see what he looks like playing again before we bin him.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oafcmetty said:

If that is the case put him on gardening leave.

19 hours ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

Our home form has to be the solid foundation that breeds confidence into our away game's,

Right now we don't know if we're coming or going and both games are really tough for any team visiting 

Chesterfield fans say their defence is poor, so maybe we will throw the kitchen sink at them a come away with a resounding win. 

Could we see that policy adopted?

9 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Chesterfield fans say their defence is poor, so maybe we will throw the kitchen sink at them a come away with a resounding win. 

I'd like to think so but we know Big Dave! 

Odds on we go 5,3,2 and sit in

45 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

We will sit in and play ultra defensive, be shocked if Unsworth is able to exploit their weaknesses, he couldn't manage it against Halifax midweek and continued to try and play it out wide for our players to put aimless crosses in, only for their 6ft 10 centrehalfs to mop everything up.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Fight fire with fire, then leave ourselves wide open and get absolutely battered,

Ofcourse the manager knows inside we really can't lose this, yet it's against a far better side than the previous two who've seen us off.

He's got himself a massive dilemma, that would have been cushioned by a win against Halifax,

That wily old fox Paul Cook will out think him and in a hostile environment, we could cave in, put it this way, I don't feel confident and I'd be over the moon with a point or three here.

5 minutes ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

Fight fire with fire, then leave ourselves wide open and get absolutely battered,

Ofcourse the manager knows inside we really can't lose this, yet it's against a far better side than the previous two who've seen us off.

He's got himself a massive dilemma, that would have been cushioned by a win against Halifax,

That wily old fox Paul Cook will out think him and in a hostile environment, we could cave in, put it this way, I don't feel confident and I'd be over the moon with a point or three here.

In true Latics Fashion we will win it 

then lose the game after 

Just now, True Tic said:

In true Latics Fashion we will win it 

then lose the game after 

The game after could be just as tough but right now I'd take that, keeping them within touching distance as opposed to losing and them being out of sight

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, peanuts2 said:

Is it this december frank does his solo rowing expedition ? If he hasnt gone by then cant see them getting rid with frank incognito in the middle of the atlantic ? 

The lengths people will go to to avoid watching a Dave defensive master class.

22 minutes ago, peanuts2 said:

Is it this december frank does his solo rowing expedition ? If he hasnt gone by then cant see them getting rid with frank incognito in the middle of the atlantic ? 

I think you mean ‘Incommunicado’ but if Unsworth has not gone by then he’s with us for the duration 😮

On 8/17/2023 at 4:36 PM, yarddog73 said:

We will sit in and play ultra defensive, be shocked if Unsworth is able to exploit their weaknesses, he couldn't manage it against Halifax midweek and continued to try and play it out wide for our players to put aimless crosses in, only for their 6ft 10 centrehalfs to mop everything up.

Yep.