Unsworth Out

Why are JR & DR giving time to DU. My guess is because they are football men and certainly in JR case been on the end of poor results. Knowing that given time he pulled it around. Otherwise the pinch me seasons would never have happened. 

Plus I do see improvement even if the results don't suggest  it currently. 

Edited by Lags

45 minutes ago, Lags said:

Why are JR & DR giving time to DU. My guess is because they are football men and certainly in JR case been on the end of poor results. Knowing that given time he pulled it around. Otherwise the pinch me seasons would never have happened. 

It's their first appointment, they'll stick with him until it becomes untenable (which is probably a couple more bad results away).

1 hour ago, Lags said:

Even in big Joe's early days positive attacking football was always played, mostly with 2 wingers crossing the ball and an advanced central midfielder, the difference is it isn't now.

I don't remember at any time the crowd calling for his dismissal.

Edited by BP1960
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, BP1960 said:

Even in big Joe's early days positive attacking football was always played, mostly with 2 wingers crossing crossing the ball and an advanced central midfielder, the difference is it isn't now. 

Absolutely different era and we ended up with players who could score more than we conceded. 

You were more or less guaranteed goals every game.  As I pointed out the other week the great invincibles did it a different way,  not conceding and scoring one. 

Do I want more attacking play?, yes.  There's one thing I want more,  our lines higher up the pitch. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Even in big Joe's early days positive attacking football was always played, mostly with 2 wingers crossing the ball and an advanced central midfielder, the difference is it isn't now.

Never .You are right BP.

10 hours ago, BP1960 said:

6 hours ago, Flemboy said:

Never .You are right BP.

Joe Royle tells a different story and where one of you has shown an ability to read players, you are both exhibiting a clear lack of ability to read words or listen to people. a very important person in our history nonetheless.

being old and claiming not to remember something is rather stupid tactic when you have form for getting upset if people accuse you of being old and forgetting things.

flemboy youre proven for attempting to bully and isolate visitors because you don't like how they look, l suggest you work on improving your own reputation and desist 'looking for likes' from people who actually seem to be decent respectful humans. especially when you have openly shown an interest in such pathetic endevours by questioning the 'like ratio' of others. whatever that is!!

Edited by Monty Burns
nonetheless and paragraphing
  • Like 3

39 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

Joe Royle tells a different story and where one of you has shown an ability to read players, you are both exhibiting a clear lack of ability to read words or listen to people. a very important person in our history nonetheless.

being old and claiming not to remember something is rather stupid tactic when you have form for getting upset if people accuse you of being old and forgetting things.

flemboy youre proven for attempting to bully and isolate visitors because you don't like how they look, l suggest you work on improving your own reputation and desist 'looking for likes' from people who actually seem to be decent respectful humans. especially when you have openly shown an interest in such pathetic endevours by questioning the 'like ratio' of others. whatever that is!!

How many likes you expecting for this post? Reckon @Flemboy can get more in his reply to you? What you gonna spend your likes on?

2 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

That comment about Hiccup was meant in a light hearted way and on their own forum  treated that way.He is a proper fan and follows the Shots all over the place..I will apologise to him personally  when I see him at Aldershot .

15 hours ago, Lags said:

My main reason for wanting a change lies in the pre-season [training] hype Unsworth spouted and the apparent backing with players of a calibre I imagined to be unavailable to the club. I was and still am pleased with the business the club has done. It was sod's law regarding injuries but a situation we are well used to as fans. However, the expectancy and optimism of an improved style of play and a push to be in the playoffs or promoted, has been squashed beyond repair within six games.

It's not going to happen, in my opinion.

I can only view the games through the eyes of others who were either attending or commenting on the forum as the games happen. We don't get to see how the club operates on non-match days, how the players train, the camaraderie or the relationship between the owners and the manager. On that basis, I have no option but to trust what they are doing and hope they act if they see reason to.

Meanwhile, I have to carry on having the rug of optimism being pulled out from under me by a manager who I perceive to be stubborn, out of his depth and extremely lucky to still be in his job. I don't know if a new manager will do any better, I don't like the manager merry-go-round, so each game we lose, I will have a rant and a rave and then get on with my life until the next one. 

As I said previously, too many false dawns are now wearing me down when it comes to Latics.
Apologies for the ramble. :D 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Wardie said:

My main reason for wanting a change lies in the pre-season [training] hype Unsworth spouted and the apparent backing with players of a calibre I imagined to be unavailable to the club. I was and still am pleased with the business the club has done. It was sod's law regarding injuries but a situation we are well used to as fans. However, the expectancy and optimism of an improved style of play and a push to be in the playoffs or promoted, has been squashed beyond repair within six games.

It's not going to happen, in my opinion.

I can only view the games through the eyes of others who were either attending or commenting on the forum as the games happen. We don't get to see how the club operates on non-match days, how the players train, the camaraderie or the relationship between the owners and the manager. On that basis, I have no option but to trust what they are doing and hope they act if they see reason to.

Meanwhile, I have to carry on having the rug of optimism being pulled out from under me by a manager who I perceive to be stubborn, out of his depth and extremely lucky to still be in his job. I don't know if a new manager will do any better, I don't like the manager merry-go-round, so each game we lose, I will have a rant and a rave and then get on with my life until the next one. 

As I said previously, too many false dawns are now wearing me down when it comes to Latics.
Apologies for the ramble. :D 

That's where I am really - we have to trust DR and the board to do the right thing. DU needed a flying start to get everyone on board but it's just not happened.

Needs to win the next 3 or 4 games to stay in the job for me. Defeat at Gateshead should be it - nor sure about this interview process lots want - decide who you want and go and get them!

1 minute ago, mick26 said:

That's where I am really - we have to trust DR and the board to do the right thing. DU needed a flying start to get everyone on board but it's just not happened.

Needs to win the next 3 or 4 games to stay in the job for me. Defeat at Gateshead should be it - nor sure about this interview process lots want - decide who you want and go and get them!

Indeed.,  This isn't like advertising for an accounts clerk.  I'm sure it is well known in football circles who are promising coaches or which recently retired players want to get int management.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

just need Karl Pilkington to fly thru the thread pointing at you both and saying BULLSHIT now to complete this 🤣🤣🤣

There was a lot of disgruntled  fans including me at the way Jimmy Frizzell had been shabbily treated but  I can't recall any of the crowd chanting to get Royle out as they are now with Unsworth.If I'm wrong fair enough but that is my recollection. We played attacking football even though results were poor but you could see the effort was there to improve on

2 minutes ago, Flemboy said:

There was a lot of disgruntled  fans including me at the way Jimmy Frizzell had been shabbily treated but  I can't recall any of the crowd chanting to get Royle out as they are now with Unsworth.If I'm wrong fair enough but that is my recollection. We played attacking football even though results were poor but you could see the effort was there to improve on

Then again in those days there wasn't social media to promote doctrines or crusades.

• Like 2

10 games in you can usually get a good impression of who the top half teams will be.

If we aren't in the top 10 after our home game with Maidenhead on Tuesday 3rd October then we need a change that will be 14 games with this squad of players.

However a few losses on the bounce and he might not make it till October.

15 hours ago, doctor evil said:

It's their first appointment, they'll stick with him until it becomes untenable (which is probably a couple more bad results away).

I wonder how much has got to do with the fact that DU signed a 3 year contract last September? How much would it cost to sack him? Did anyone think of a break clause in his contract?

48 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Indeed.,  This isn't like advertising for an accounts clerk.  I'm sure it is well known in football circles who are promising coaches or which recently retired players want to get int management.

People who complain that they didn’t conduct an interview process for Unsy would be more than happy for the board not to conduct and interview process and go and get Pete Wild for example. 

As you say, it’s not a routine job and those involved in football will know the promising managers coming up. Also, if we go for a manger that is already in a position, it’s not difficult to assess them by looking at previous results/style of play/ speaking to people within the game to determine if they are an appropriate fit. 

As I have written this, I think I have understood the main issue people have with Unsy and the lack of interview process being that he never had prior experience. I get that argument in fairness. 

26 minutes ago, JohnG123 said:

10 games in you can usually get a good impression of who the top half teams will be.

If we aren't in the top 10 after our home game with Maidenhead on Tuesday 3rd October then we need a change that will be 14 games with this squad of players.

However a few losses on the bounce and he might not make it till October.

I think this is a more than fair period of games to give him. 

20 minutes ago, LaticMark said:

I wonder how much has got to do with the fact that DU signed a 3 year contract last September? How much would it cost to sack him? Did anyone think of a break clause in his contract?

They're successful business people who will know that there may be a time where you have to incur an immediate cost to be able to move forward and be in a better position in the future. If they believe the time is right to sack him I don't think they'd hold back just to avoid any pay out.

7 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

People who complain that they didn’t conduct an interview process for Unsy would be more than happy for the board not to conduct and interview process and go and get Pete Wild for example. 

As you say, it’s not a routine job and those involved in football will know the promising managers coming up. Also, if we go for a manger that is already in a position, it’s not difficult to assess them by looking at previous results/style of play/ speaking to people within the game to determine if they are an appropriate fit. 

As I have written this, I think I have understood the main issue people have with Unsy and the lack of interview process being that he never had prior experience. I get that argument in fairness. 

If the club really wanted to cast a web to see what was out there they could invite applications/ do interviews and then have a list of targets if nothing impressive came out of the applications.

Pretty important appointment this, so they need to cover all bases...

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, JoeP said:

If the club really wanted to cast a web to see what was out there they could invite applications/ do interviews and then have a list of targets if nothing impressive came out of the applications.

FFS….He ain’t gone yet!😂😂

44 minutes ago, JoeP said:

While he's in charge?