MATCH: Solihull Moors (H) 28/08/23

5 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Fair play to him I say, it must have been uncomfortable to hear the Athleticos chanting his football is shite, few near me got involved as well which was a bit cringe.

came thru on switch FM in birmingham that did. Mike Fondop seriously let DU down today. badly.

38 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

I block trolls, they can't comprehend why, its a sad they feel the need jump every time on certain posters.

You block anyone you think disagrees with you or doesn't bow to your superior knowledge of the game and things being better 50 years ago than now. You even snipe back at those who are agreeing with you half the time because you take everything as a personal attack

• Like 1

2 hours ago, doctor evil said:

The guy was useless. He can't run, he can't tackle, he overhits every pass. He offers nothing.

Yet he was head and shoulders our best midfielder, stick a couple more in there who can pass a ball and he'll do just fine at this level. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Yet he was head and shoulders our best midfielder, stick a couple more in there who can pass a ball and he'll do just fine at this level. 

It’s a shame Gardner has had such serious injuries but he’s a better career than Shelton or Sheron will ever have.

When he was at Droylsden and Halifax he was unplayable off the left, aggressive and dynamic.

His game has completely changed from what it was but it’s had to

6 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Wasn’t that said about him in league 1 and league 2. If the other couple you stick in are going to pass… who’s going to tackle? It certainly isn’t going to be Gardner. 

I'm not sure about Gardner. I think he does a good job of picking the ball up off the defence and looking to move the ball forward or out wide. Which is an upgrade to an extent. But I didn't see him do that much in effective areas in the final third. It may just be that I didn't notice it, but it seemed that he often over or under hit the passes in those areas and wasting an opportunity rather than releasing Reid or Willoughby who were running behind.

I'm not convinced he's the answer to our midfield problems.

The ‘morning after’ thoughts:

The players let their manager down yesterday…

Fondop with his brainless first yellow followed by the rash tackle for the second.

Reid missing a fairly easy chance to put us ahead.

Shelton missing an even easier chance to put us ahead.

Raglan switching off and allowing the forward to run in behind him to set up their first goal.

Kitching, who generally had a good game, hitting his crosses too deep.

Gardner, who generally had a good game, over hitting too many passes.

Once again too many giving the ball away far too often and just not playing at a high enough tempo to match the opposition.

It wasn’t the worst I’ve seen us play by a long way - and we were causing them real problems despite being a man light.

I would argue that too many players are underperforming and that’s down to themselves and the coaching staff to put right.

But here’s the thing… with hindsight, should Unsworth have played yesterdays starting eleven at Borehamwood and kept the ‘rested’ players to start at home? 

Just a thought.

• Like 8

11 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

some extensive mental gymnastics going on today.

the take the handbrake off lads are moaning about handbrakes.

the play Fondop lads are moaning about playing Fondop.

the utilise the squad lads are moaning about utilising the squad.

the Reid is the answer lads arent happy about Reid being the answer.

so many people contradicting themselves and their rush to criticise. its actually somehow worse than our away tactics.9

There are so many opinions what's wrong and how to put it right. 

Here's mine, score your chances. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, b0ndl1ne said:

It’s a shame Gardner has had such serious injuries but he’s a better career than Shelton or Sheron will ever have.

When he was at Droylsden and Halifax he was unplayable off the left, aggressive and dynamic.

His game has completely changed from what it was but it’s had to

Yes, he was very much a dynamic attacking midfielder, but has had to adapt due to injuries. Despite this he never gave up yesterday and  was by far our best midfielder. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, BP1960 said:

Yes, he was very much a dynamic attacking midfielder, but has had to adapt due to injuries. Despite this he never gave up yesterday and  was by far our best midfielder. 

He was by far our best midfielder. He couldn’t run after 65mins of the game though.

We need to get him fit. 

Such a disappointing game. Big Dog is correct in his thoughts.

I am a Fondop fan but he let everyone down yesterday. If we had 11 on the pitch for the whole game the result would have been different. It is likely DU would have replaced Fondop at half time but Mikey did not give him that chance. As soon as he got his first card we were saying here goes "he will be on a red soon"

There are games in September which we should be winning so unlikely there will be any changes with DU until end of that month at least.

If DU was telling supporters to F... Off perhaps the board need to look at this as this is not what any manager should be saying to fans. In my opinion he is arrogant and not up to the job. 

• Like 1

Yesterday was nowhere near some of the disjointed performances we've endured in the past 12 months. Even down to 10 men we created some good opportunities. DU is correct we should have been two up prior to Fondop's second brain wave.

The one lesson I really wish DU would learn is not to send his side out to defend deep. The first killer goal ( as so many others) yesterday occurred after a few minutes of doing just that. If the opponents can pass through our lines when the lines are condensed so close to our box, then there's no point doing it. If they breach the lines they are in on goal. At least having our lines up the pitch they've still work to do for that shot on goal.

I really don't think we are far away but can DU survive now given above 50% of the fan base have made up their minds?

Edited by Lags
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

He was by far our best midfielder. He couldn’t run after 65mins of the game though.

We need to get him fit. 

We were told this team would be the fittest in the league yet several can't play twice a week.

I wonder how many other teams rested so many of their players over the holiday period?

The manager talked of wanting dynamic players yet signed some recently exactly the opposite.

Most of Solihull's players were older journeymen,but still managed to look strong after 2 days rest.

Something doesn't add up at this club. 

Edited by BP1960

1 minute ago, LightDN123 said:

Why are people justifying Unsy keeping Fondop on the pitch for the fact he would have taken him off half time ? He should have taken him off straight away, stupid. 

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Yes we all know Fondop's game including DU. So should he ever play?. Only one man is to blame for Fondop, that's Mr Fondop.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

We were told this team would be the fittest in the league yet several can't play twice a week.

I wonder how many other teams rested so many of their players over the holiday period?

The manager talked of wanting dynamic players yet signed some recently exactly the opposite.

Most of Solihull's players were older journeymen,but still managed to look strong after 2 days rest.

Something doesn't add up at this club. 

They were playing 10 men for a hour!!! plus quite a few of the Solihull players were running on fumes. As was Gardner, understandably. Even with 10 men we had plenty ball.

2 minutes ago, Lags said:

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Yes we all know Fondop's game including DU. So should he ever play?. Only one man is to blame for Fondop, that's Mr Fondop.

Nothing to do with hindsight. I said the moment it happened take him off now or we will be a man down, I’m not special, and know a lot of people sat around me thought the same thing. 

Unsy even said, the way Mike plays he’s physical and the way he is you just don’t know with him. Add to the fact he has a history of being sent off, then it’s not a bloody hard or unjustified decision.