Echo chamber poll

Simple question, do you think David Unsworth is the man to take the club forward?  

109 members have voted

1. 1. Simple question, do you think David Unsworth is the man to take the club forward?

2 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Let's see how the plebs vote, popular opinion would have it that about a third would like to see Unsworth replaced, place your votes.

I want him to succeed as I wish we could just have some stability on the managerial side too,  but I dont think he will, I dont believe we should be playing the way we do in games because of his mindset and set up. 

I hope Im wrong.

• Like 4

I think you’ve got a good chance of getting the percentages you’re after with how you’ve framed the question. 

I think “do you think he should be sacked right now? Yes/no” might have been fairer as it would give people like me an option to vote for, ie those who have concerns but are willing to back the board if they want to give him more time.

• Like 10

22 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

I think you’ve got a good chance of getting the percentages you’re after with how you’ve framed the question. 

I think “do you think he should be sacked right now? Yes/no” might have been fairer as it would give people like me an option to vote for, ie those who have concerns but are willing to back the board if they want to give him more time.

I think it's self explanatory, whether it be today, next month or next year.

A plain Yes or No

In your case it's Yes because you seem to have some belief he can turn it around,

Hopefully everyone on here will cast their vote and then we'll have a better picture and the end to all this bickering 

4 minutes ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

I think it's self explanatory, whether it be today, next month or next year.

A plain Yes or No

In your case it's Yes because you seem to have some belief he can turn it around,

Hopefully everyone on here will cast their vote and then we'll have a better picture and the end to all this bickering 

I can’t give a plain yes to that question though because I’m not sure if he’s the right man. With time he might get better (people can do this) and he might prove to be the right man. But also he might not. I just don’t know. 

So my view is he should have a bit more time to see if he can string the occasional positives we’ve seen together to make us a consistent winning team capable of getting promoted. 

One thing I do know with absolute certainty is that whatever the result of this poll is it won’t put an end to the bickering!

• Like 10

44 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

I agree with this.

Do I think he’s the man to take the club forward - probably not.

Do I know for certain- No

I’d give him a bit more time even though I’m running out of patience. 
I think the board will give him more, so I expect him to be here for a while yet.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, maximus1267 said:

I want him to succeed as I wish we could just have some stability on the managerial side too,  but I dont think he will, I dont believe we should be playing the way we do in games because of his mindset and set up. 

I hope Im wrong.

This is how I see it myself and had there been another win or two, the argument wouldn't be as pressing,

I don't think it's all down to him either, those around him haven't covered themselves in glory, so for me, the blame is a shared one.

Being a rookie and a badly advised one at that, is a recipe for disaster, 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

So you’re basically saying he should never have been considered for the job in the first place?

Did anyone have a choice?

With the strong Everton connection above, it was more likely than not, either he or someone from the Everton family would be put inplace and to be fair, Unsworth was a decent player and so were those that made up his managerial team, it looked on paper very exciting, I know I was but then again I was with Scholes and look how that turned out.

Is there anybody out there that would have fitted the bill better, ofcourse but we had to trust the owner and board to get it right first time, it was a gamble in reality and one that sadly doesn't look like paying off.

2 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

So you’re basically saying he should never have been considered for the job in the first place?

There were reasons to be sceptical. The couple of articles on him from an Everton perspective and the fact he hadn't been picked out for permanent senior management since his retirement from playing....

3 minutes ago, Lags said:

It's not the right question really. Six games into a season is not enough time. The question is loaded currently because those who may wish him more time don't necessarily think he's ultimately the right man.

And also, what is meant by "the right man"? Are we talking about developing a long term successful team with an 'identity'? Or is it just to get promoted out of this league asap irrespective of style? I'd say his odds of each of those things are different.

1 minute ago, nzlatic said:

And also, what is meant by "the right man"? Are we talking about developing a long term successful team with an 'identity'? Or is it just to get promoted out of this league asap irrespective of style? I'd say his odds of each of those things are different.

I really don't know with DU. I find him a decent guy and don't buy into he tells us lies. Every manager that ever walked the earth uses Poetic license regularly, as do board members.

I doubt DU would go for it, but what about if it proves right he's not the manager material we need but he's putting in a decent club structure it seems, make him Director of Football?. It's a downward move but could be the solution.

I get what he's trying to achieve having flexibility regarding game management, but better players in higher leagues struggle swopping about. Is this the issue? or were we really so far away club and squad wise 12 months ago?. 

11 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Indeed it's a subjective question which is being reduced to a yes or no answer. Personally I believe the world is different shades of grey. 

Ofcourse there's no guarantees, for all we know he might win the next 5 games and that's sometimes how it goes but then again we might still be talking about after he's lost the next 5.

We all want the same and hopefully decisions will be made soon and we might just get it in time to save another season.

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

Yes I should have waited 2 games until he's had a full calendar year to put his stamp on the team 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

DU was appointed on 20 September last year, and so there's 4 more matches to go until his 1st anniversary! By then Latics will have played 10 games, which I think is a reasonable time to judge how this season is going.

As such my answer, to a poorly drafted poll, is yes for now, but maybe no - but hopefully yes - in 3 weeks time!! 

People used to call me indecisive, but now I'm not so sure! 🙃

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, LaticMark said:

DU was appointed on 20 September last year, and so there's 4 more matches to go until his 1st anniversary! By then Latics will have played 10 games, which I think is a reasonable time to judge how this season is going.

As such my answer, to a poorly drafted poll, is yes for now, but maybe no - but hopefully yes - in 3 weeks time!! 

People used to call me indecisive, but now I'm not so sure! 🙃

In a strange coincidence we play Bromley away on 16 September which was Unsworth's first game in change. That was the worst Latics performance I've ever seen, if Bromley hadn't coasted the second half we would have lost by a cricket score. If we went down to a similar defeat after one year and all that investment it could bring down the curtain. 

38 minutes ago, Hemel latic said:

In a strange coincidence we play Bromley away on 16 September which was Unsworth's first game in change. That was the worst Latics performance I've ever seen, if Bromley hadn't coasted the second half we would have lost by a cricket score. If we went down to a similar defeat after one year and all that investment it could bring down the curtain. 

That Bromley, Maidenhead and Alti away games made me stop going to away games for a few months I must admit. It was rotten! 

1 hour ago, nzlatic said:

Did you listen to the pod this week? 

Andy Roberts made a great point, when Unsworth said ‘I could set a team up to win but I’m building something’ 

Riiiight. 

So that explains why you persevered with ideological formations last season . . until you had us in the bottom four- then ‘stumbled’ on 442 and suddenly started winning. He did it again this season at Southend and got spanked he’s played 433 in other games and we’ve got beat. 

I do wish he/ and fans would stop taking about ideological long term strategies when he isn’t doing his primary Job - which is getting enough results.

You can’t build anything without results. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hemel latic said:

We’re certainly more competitive than when he first took over, at the very least we stay in games and don’t roll over as quickly, but equally we never seem to dominate. We just stay in the game, sometimes they get a goal, sometimes we do. As many others have said I want a far better tempo and intent in our game. (No matter how he set us up)