Echo chamber poll

Simple question, do you think David Unsworth is the man to take the club forward?  

109 members have voted

1. 1. Simple question, do you think David Unsworth is the man to take the club forward?

34 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Did you listen to the pod this week? 

Andy Roberts made a great point, when Unsworth said ‘I could set a team up to win but I’m building something’ 

Riiiight. 

So that explains why you persevered with ideological formations last season . . until you had us in the bottom four- then ‘stumbled’ on 442 and suddenly started winning. He did it again this season at Southend and got spanked he’s played 433 in other games and we’ve got beat. 

I do wish he/ and fans would stop taking about ideological long term strategies when he isn’t doing his primary Job - which is getting enough results.

You can’t build anything without results. 

That was kind of my point. I was referring to how the question was worded - is he the right man to take us forward? What does that mean exactly? That will mean different things to different people so the poll is flawed.

6 hours ago, maximus1267 said:

I want him to succeed as I wish we could just have some stability on the managerial side too,  but I dont think he will, I dont believe we should be playing the way we do in games because of his mindset and set up. 

I hope Im wrong.

This is where I was at. But I just don't think he's the man to take us forward. Think he has 14 wins from 46 games or something which is nowhere near good enough for where we want to be, and he's not showing any signs of improvement. If we're being completely honest, he shouldn't have got the job in the first place.

If it was up to me, he'd have 4 games to show significant improvement or he'd be gone. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

That was kind of my point. I was referring to how the question was worded - is he the right man to take us forward? What does that mean exactly? That will mean different things to different people so the poll is flawed.

I disagree. I think it's a straightforward simple question. Do you think he has the right skills as a football manager/coach to get us promoted and progress from there. Get us into L1 or beyond by developing the team and bringing in young players. So that would include all the skills many people think he lacks such as team selection, tactice, game management etc.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LaticsPete said:

So no “don’t know/undecided “ option?

With the question being 'do you think...", I'd be reading in between the lines of any 'don't know' responses. 

There are no certainties but people must be swayed one way or the other.

2 hours ago, Hemel latic said:

In a strange coincidence we play Bromley away on 16 September which was Unsworth's first game in change. That was the worst Latics performance I've ever seen, if Bromley hadn't coasted the second half we would have lost by a cricket score. If we went down to a similar defeat after one year and all that investment it could bring down the curtain. 

Another defeat on Saturday could well see us drop into the relegation zone. Four defeats in 7 by that point. Could easily happen. Another 3 games after that to wait. We might win on Saturday  but I just can’t see it now . 

Unsurprisingly some people struggling with a simple Yes or No answer, I'm happy for people to put Yes if they want to give Unsworth more time.

My intention was to just get a feeling on something which is quite basic really, I'm not arguing with those who want to keep him but it appears even some of those who have said Yes have done so even with reservations so the result on the face of it could look even worse.

It's not loaded it is to gauge where the fan base is at, I haven't over complicated it purposely and if anything given the way the question is structured expect more to give Unsworth the benefit of the doubt.

If anyone wants to pick holes in it set up an alternative question, it's a simple process, mine is purely to gauge feeling and probably best not over analysed. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Unsurprisingly some people struggling with a simple Yes or No answer, I'm happy for people to put Yes if they want to give Unsworth more time.

And so giving the opportunity to critique the “yes” responses as not really being yes. I think the “result “ will be even more meaningless as a consequence.

Btw When is the cut off point? Is this a right now question or after another game or week or month? 

2 hours ago, League one forever said:

We’re certainly more competitive than when he first took over, at the very least we stay in games and don’t roll over as quickly, but equally we never seem to dominate. We just stay in the game, sometimes they get a goal, sometimes we do. As many others have said I want a far better tempo and intent in our game. (No matter how he set us up) 

So we should be though - he’s made countless signings and it hasn’t got much better than when Shez left. That said I think he deserves more time. Things have to improve soon though or this seasons optimism will be wasted. 

2 minutes ago, LaticsPete said:

Btw When is the cut off point? Is this a right now question or after another game or week or month? 

Not really thought about that, personally I think the cut off point will be the 10 games many think he'll get, defeat at Gateshead on Saturday though could see him gone before then, if I could edit the poll I'd probably close the poll prior to the Gateshead game.

• Thanks 1

Think its easy to just say yes or no without some form of explanation, thats a very black & white approach.

Theres absolutely no guarantee the next manager will succeed so its a big decision to just get rid now and start again, saying that the next manager would be adopting a much better placed squad and club than DU did.

I am a No all the same but its a very cautious no, merely based on hus negativity.

Lots of possible questions but I think they will all show the same shades of grey. Lots of if this then that....

Minimum number of points at 10/15 games?  for me 15 at10, 23 at15

Will he get us promoted this year? doubt it

If he gets x points in 10/15 games how much more time does that give him? probably until the next run of 3 without a win

Personally I don't think he is the man to get the best from the squad. There are also questions to asked about recruitment. I'd be amazed if he got us promoted and then challenging in league 2 the following season.

I can understand those who would cut him some slack- poor refereeing, Fondop being thick, injuries etc but it seems he is in a deep hole. Win the next two then a bit less pressure, lose the two after that its all back, leaving aside the possibility of losing the first two.

Sustained improvement with >1.5 points per game over a rolling 5 game cycle would be the measure for me with a bit of drive and attacking intent in most games.

Edited by Longlostfan
typo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, True Tic said:

Another defeat on Saturday could well see us drop into the relegation zone. Four defeats in 7 by that point. Could easily happen. Another 3 games after that to wait. We might win on Saturday  but I just can’t see it now . 

I voted no by the way , don’t want to but that’s all I can see now 

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

My intention was to just get a feeling on something which is quite basic really, I'm not arguing with those who want to keep him but it appears even some of those who have said Yes have done so even with reservations so the result on the face of it could look even worse.

It's not loaded it is to gauge where the fan base is at, I haven't over complicated it purposely and if anything given the way the question is structured expect more to give Unsworth the benefit of the doubt.

If anyone wants to pick holes in it set up an alternative question, it's a simple process, mine is purely to gauge feeling and probably best not over analysed. 

What do you mean by " a simple process?" this could be taken in many ways and mean a lot of different things, as on what level of simple is a simple process? very simple or not very simple??.....and what do you mean by "over analysed?" what is actualy over analysis and by how much do you need to analyse before you over analyse???

Please Yarddog be more specific with your poll questons ffs....🤣🤣🤣

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

I'd say yes with reservations is where I'm at with the squad we have we should be making a better start and it's fairly rationale to have reservations about the manager in such circumstances 

I'd say that the other side to this would be thar the vast majority of those who said no want to be proved wrong and if we had a strong run of results they would more than happily get back onside some may call that fickle which I think would be unfair. If we put together a string of good results then the mood would change ascthe case for keeping the manager at the helm would grow significantly stronger. It would be pretty daft to hold a grudge against the manager if he turned round the performances.

I can't answer it because I don't think it's a yes or no question.

Whether we like it or not he is our manager and he's been invested in, in terms of his contract, backroom staff and playing staff.

Any change of management will be expensive, cause upheaval and potentially lose any progress/momentum (I know, I know) that's been built up over the past year.

Given the improvement in results we saw in the second half of last season plus the injuries suffered in the midfield I would be prepared to give Unsworth more time. I'm generally for patience and giving people time to prove themselves. However,  I am where I was around Christmas last year in that I think Unsworth is only a couple of bad results from dismissal. Lose the next two on the bounce, I think he'll go.

2 hours ago, nzlatic said:

Ok, to me then- 

I’m purely results based, because great performances without results mean nothing. 

His results over the last 12 months have been average at best. 

So, do I believe he will improve results enough to have us challenging- no, but then I didn’t he could in December. The trouble is, there is no point in recovering from a bad start to finish mid- table. Top 7 form comes being relatively decent all season. He’s shown he can do it over 15 games. . . 

29 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

What do you mean by " a simple process?" this could be taken in many ways and mean a lot of different things, as on what level of simple is a simple process? very simple or not very simple??.....and what do you mean by "over analysed?" what is actualy over analysis and by how much do you need to analyse before you over analyse???

Please Yarddog be more specific with your poll questons ffs....🤣🤣🤣

My head hurts 🤣 not difficult I know.

We are ALL entitled to our own opinion. Mine is that he should go asap, as I believe he his way to negative and is way out of his depth.

However I respect the fans who want him to stay and continue in his role.

That's football and life in general we all have different opinions, like and dislike different things. Would be pretty boring if we didn't.

KTF    

• Like 1

I want to give him time I really do. But how we are in this position with the squad we have is absolutely mental. The guy has no clue how to setup a football team and uses excuse after excuse. If he doesn’t start picking up results this month just get rid of him. So far he’s shown absolutely nothing to me. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

I want to give him time I really do. But how we are in this position with the squad we have is absolutely mental. The guy has no clue how to setup a football team and uses excuse after excuse. If he doesn’t start picking up results this month just get rid of him. So far he’s shown absolutely nothing to me. 

He has been in charge for going on 12 months. His style of play and tactics, have, for all that time been boring.

Our squad is way better than results suggest.

He took a team to Boreham wood, and was frightened to death of them. We scrapped a 0-0 draw. Two days later, Oxford City beat them 4 nil.

If things were going to get better it would be happening NOW.

Instead we are almost in the relegation places. 

And we are all fearful, that Gateshead will run rings round us again for  the fourth time in a few months.

Start again with someone who actually knows what they are doing, and is able to set a team up to excite the fans and win football matches.

He must go. So No

Edited by 100milesaway
  • Like 1