BPAS PODCAST: 4th Sept '23, S4E7: Coming To A Heed?

Mr Chairman addressing the fans, sorry "supporters", in the stands, another stupid red card and another point on the road...

Find all our links ⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠here⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠!

You can support the pod by paying a monthly subscription of just £2.99 via this link ⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠https://podcasters.spotify.com/pod/show/oafcpodcast/subscribe⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠.

All the regular episodes will remain free to everyone but only subscribers can access an audio only version of the Latics Football Phone In as a podcast from Friday morning at 6am and listen to both shows ad free.

If you'd like to advertise on the show, please email info@oafcpodcast.co.uk

If you'd like to make a one off donation, you can now also Buy Us A Coffee by clicking ⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠here

⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠

You can also support us by visiting ⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠https://www.oafcpodcast.co.uk⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠, subscribing to our mailing list and purchasing from our online shop.

Please subscribe to our ⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠YouTube channel⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠ to watch the Latics Football Phone In live every Wednesday from 8.30pm.

Download and listen to the podcast via the FanHub app, where content creators and fans alike are rewarded for getting involved #ctg.

BPAS and Latics Football Phone In are ⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠KUPOD⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠ productions.

Title music is by Manchester DJ and producer Starion find out more at ⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠www.redlaserrecords.bandcamp.com

⁠⁠

2 hours ago, JohnG123 said:

Frank will have rowed around the world before Unsworth gets us in the top half. 1 win in 7 relegation form. 

Frank that in December doesn’t he? If Unsworth hasn’t turned it around by then we will be in a relegation battle. 

Board patience will not last until then regardless of what Frank says out loud. 

Big Dave has a batch of ‘easier’ games coming up. Those will decide his future. 

7 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

Frank that in December doesn’t he? If Unsworth hasn’t turned it around by then we will be in a relegation battle. 

agreed. but then it all starts again!!

with regards to the pod l felt Matt was slightly having to defend himself and use the word balance in defence of the pod output. 

that's not fair IMO.

yes he had a fully deserved shouty week a bit back, but that was not without cause or merit.

however, it was another good pod and another platform given to the 'Unsworth out' ladz and his points were well articulated.

lm seeing a lot of 'balance' being given to the unbalanced ladz but not much coming back the other way other than being proud of 'the boooo bus' and stirring up shite and division on twitter. then theres the personal abuse which is funny bc lots of them would be shite on a see saw unless Rhino was on it with them.

[insert something witty here about balance and metaphors and visual descriptiveness]

Edited by Monty Burns
grammar again

Great listen. Thought Macca made his points really well and also the rebuttal focussed on the toxic element which is fair enough. I don't think anyone can argue that fans shouldn't be upset or question the abilities of the manager, but it comes down to how this comes across and whether the toxicity on the terraces is justified or not.

4 on laticsmind which is my best score by far! There was a name I was searching for on one of the questions but I couldn't quite get it, the closest I got was Steve Banner. By the sounds of it Andy might have given it me but Matt would have told me to fuck off!

Interesting to see the Blackpool owner feeling the need to remind people where they've come from here: https://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/sport/football/blackpool-fc-seasiders-owner-simon-sadler-releases-statement-reiterating-his-commitment-to-the-club-following-recent-criticism-4278939

Maybe @basilrobbie might like to elaborate on why/how it's got to this?

Edited by BPAS

49 minutes ago, BPAS said:

Interesting to see the Blackpool owner feeling the need to remind people where they've come from here: https://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/sport/football/blackpool-fc-seasiders-owner-simon-sadler-releases-statement-reiterating-his-commitment-to-the-club-following-recent-criticism-4278939

Maybe @basilrobbie might light to elaborate on why/how it's got to this?

l actually prefer owners wading into the away end. the out and proud of it lads would have had ample opportunity to say their bit in a quiet chat type way. because there are legit points need hearing.

DAVID UNSWORTHS BLUE N WHITE ARMY!!!

Edited by Monty Burns
tk out txt spk

• Matt featured this topic
4 hours ago, kowenicki said:

I think we will win lose and draw the “easier” games coming up, not necessarily in any order, which will keep DU in situ and will have us low to mid table for months. 

1 hour ago, BPAS said:

Maybe @basilrobbie might light to elaborate on why/how it's got to this?

As always, it is a combination of things :

• some fans did not take relegation well, especially the manner of it
  • some fans are very sensitive about the club's attempts to improve crowd behaviour (we are on the FA's watch list). They think they are being targeted
  • some of our fans seem to have a huge sense of entitlement - we shouldn't be in L1, apparently
  • some fans know the club monitor social media, and play up to it

It's a small minority who are very, very vocal. It would seem that the owner decided to counter it with a few observations (and facts) of his own.

Matts made a point about the club being in the rebuilding process and is still correcting legacy issues. While that is probably true to a large extent the club is now very much geared to and in a position to challenge for promotion this season so I don't think we can blame previous regimes for that. If we don't mount a promotion push this season then something will have gone seriously wrong.

Macca made a good point really about the fact that we haven't seen anything on the pitch in terms of performances to suggest we are promotion challenging team yet. We need something to hang our hats on to suggest that this team will start to improve. We probably all know on paper we have a good squad but we want to see evidence we can hang our hats on to suggest that this is a promotion challenging team.

The narrative is always driven mostly by results. 

Finally I don't think we are as divided as some people like to think. The majority of those who are in the "out" camp will happily soften their stance if we go on a run of wins. I'd imagine alot of people who are on the "in" side like myself currently have very healthy doubts about the direction the team management are taking us at the moment I think another defeat could and probably should seal his fate. I also believe the majority of us are sick to death of changing manager and want some consistency. You will always get the vociferous extremities on any arguements particularly on social media, but sometimes you've got to look at what people agree on too and not lose sight of what we have in common.

Edited by GlossopLatic
  • Like 7

16 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Matts made a point about the club being in the rebuilding process and is still correcting legacy issues. While that is probably true to a large extent the club is now very much geared to and in a position to challenge for promotion this season so I don't think we can blame previous regimes for that. If we don't mount a promotion push this season then something will have gone seriously wrong.

I do wonder what remains of the legacy issues that's having such a detrimental effect on the team...

Macca was a good guest.  If we're paying money for players like Reid and Nuttall and are paying wages for the like of Norwood - they're not "get us back on track" signings - they're "we want to be competing" signings.

The issue of "toxicity" - yes, people might need "therapy", but people also use football as a release.  Always have done and always should be allowed to.  Is booing particularly helpful?  No probably not, but I'm not sure in reality how much effect it really has - does a professional footballer really give that much of a shit what a pissed-up oik (like myself..) who can't play football really thinks?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, JoeP said:

I do wonder what remains of the legacy issues that's having such a detrimental effect on the team...

Macca was a good guest.  If we're paying money for players like Reid and Nuttall and are paying wages for the like of Norwood - they're not "get us back on track" signings - they're "we want to be competing" signings.

The issue of "toxicity" - yes, people might need "therapy", but people also use football as a release.  Always have done and always should be allowed to.  Is booing particularly helpful?  No probably not, but I'm not sure in reality how much effect it really has - does a professional footballer really give that much of a shit what a pissed-up oik (like myself..) who can't play football really thinks?

If players respond positively to supporters cheering on the team it stands to reason that the opposite would happen when getting some stick, otherwise the morons that boo opposition players are just wasting their breath.

The trend, especially in the Premiership, to boo when the opposition have the ball is pathetic. 

54 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Gardner Hope and Mgahey are the players here from the previous regime. I imagine we had to pay out for the likes of Leutweiller and Rooney. Also while we are ahead of other club's at our level interms of infrastructure. We are way behind other club's for things such as training facilities and the overall state of Boundary Park.

Yes booing definitely makes a difference. You can argue its important to shut the noise out and yes they just concentrate on their game and they should but they are only human and they will hear things.

As supporter for the last 30 years I do things that try and make me not fallout of love with the club. Going to every single away game is one of them. If I get to a stage where I'm regularly hurling abuse at the players and or the manager of the team that I support if it gets to that stage I'm just going to stop going because it's not worth me spending time and money on stuff that's going to make me angry it achieves nothing.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Gardner Hope and Mgahey are the players here from the previous regime. I imagine we had to pay out for the likes of Leutweiller and Rooney. Also while we are ahead of other club's at our level interms of infrastructure. We are way behind other club's for things such as training facilities and the overall state of Boundary Park.

Yes booing definitely makes a difference. You can argue its important to shut the noise out and yes they just concentrate on their game and they should but they are only human and they will hear things.

As supporter for the last 30 years I do things that try and make me not fallout of love with the club. Going to every single away game is one of them. If I get to a stage where I'm regularly hurling abuse at the players and or the manager of the team that I support if it gets to that stage I'm just going to stop going because it's not worth me spending time and money on stuff that's going to make me angry it achieves nothing.

I'm not sure there's enough there to say the previous regime is still effecting the team now - Gardner is arguably still our best midfielder! Yeah, we're ahead in terms of infrastructure of other clubs at out level - but that's all we need to be at the moment.  We don't need to have Man City's ground and training facilities yet.  So with our infrastructure as it is now and the players we've brought in we should be better.  It's no longer anything to do with the Lemsegams, so there's no reason to keep pointing back to them in my opinion.  They've gone, finished - they no longer have any stain on the club and they're no longer an excuse for failure.

I don't mind people getting angry at football matches.  The anger has to go somewhere and it's better going vocally at a team (not individuals, though..) kicking a bag or air about than going and punching someone in the pub...

1 hour ago, GlossopLatic said:

Unsworth brought Rooney in 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️ 

As for your comments about being behind others in terms of infrastructure and training facilities you haven't been to many of the leisure centres in this division then have you? Couple of teams are still part time training two night a week.

1 hour ago, GlossopLatic said:

Mind you our fans beating the players is bad but look at this, this is next level fan entitlement.

Lyon fans Address the squad

Aren't the French just highly strung as a default? They don't take kindly to being played by a football club nor a government. Us meanwhile, are just happy to be shat on. Hearty booing is what we're told to do by the class system.

Anyway, not listened to the pod but I don't boo until really fucking angry. Like when that shortarse pipsqueak Johnson came back with Barnsley just a few weeks after leaving us. I made sure I got an extra close position in the main stand paddock for that one. At the moment, I'm about Jeff Lebowski in terms of rage. I'll be more like Walter Shobchak if we're still near the bottom four come October.

2 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Unsworth brought Rooney in 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️ 

As for your comments about being behind others in terms of infrastructure and training facilities you haven't been to many of the leisure centres in this division then have you? Couple of teams are still part time training two night a week.

Thats why I said we are ahead of clubs at our level :). But if we want to get back into the football league and compete with those clubs which is no doubt the aim then we will at some point need to upgrade them in the future.

1 hour ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

A very laboured listen that, 

The fan's don't want to keep on writing off season after season and why the hell should they? Stop being so blaisè about the reality of where we are and seemingly justifying it.

Pack it in!

We’re actively inviting people on with an opposing view so we can try to offer balance & have sensible debate…..  it’d be a quick listen if we all just agreed and said sack him.

We all agree he’s got much to prove, we’re merely saying it’s not all over yet & it could turn - however implausible some feel about that now.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, BPAS said:

We’re actively inviting people on with an opposing view so we can try to offer balance & have sensible debate…..  it’d be a quick listen if we all just agreed and said sack him.

We all agree he’s got much to prove, we’re merely saying it’s not all over yet & it could turn - however implausible some feel about that now.

Fair comment. I can’t see it, but I really hope it starts this weekend! 

15 minutes ago, BPAS said:

We also can't just sleepwalk into being left so far behind in the table

by waiting up to 15 game's to see where we are,

That's what's bothering me.