BPAS PODCAST: 4th Sept '23, S4E7: Coming To A Heed?

I don’t recognise Matt’s observation that a large number of fans are demanding we should be top. That must be a small number of morons because I’ve never heard or seen them, probably because I don’t look at social media posts from them. You’re simply helping the social media platform amplify a tiny minority… ignore them!  Most fans want it just to click and we progress. 

“Unconditional support.”

“Don’t chant… complete a monthly survey as a way of allowing fans to document their emotional opinions”… I paraphrase.

Deary me…

Seriously!? Let’s extract all the subjective joy and raw emotion from an entertainment industry shall we, sit on our hands in the stadium and fill in a form at the end of the month. Come on fellas. 

Fan representation on a board and supporting (or having a dig at) a club and team on the terrace are two separate things. 

You can’t sanitise football stadiums and human emotions. I don’t want to support a corporatised, market research driven, antiseptic committee. 

I think you are in danger of overthinking this. 

Just win some matches! If a football club is underperforming some fans will voice displeasure. That’s it. It’s that simple. You can’t, and shouldn’t want to, stop it.  If we don’t get AT LEAST 10 points from the next 5 he should get the boot. 

Sorry. That’s a bit of a rant. I’m at a stag do this weekend so I’ll be hammered by the whistle at 5pm… let’s hope Latics haven’t been. COYB. 

• Like 13

When Dorking exert their "five minutes of pressure" and the team crumbles, the fans get restless, the piss boil begins and the "Unsworth out" chants ring around three quarters of the ground, we will all be relishing another ruined weekend.

He's going nowhere.
Latics are going nowhere.

I don't think The Sword of Damocles exists over BP.

23 hours ago, kowenicki said:

ignore them!  Most fans want it just to click and we progress. 

“Unconditional support.”

“Don’t chant… complete a monthly survey as a way of allowing fans to document their emotional opinions”… I paraphrase.

You can’t sanitise football stadiums and human emotions. I don’t want to support a corporatised, market research driven, antiseptic committee. 

Fair enough on ignoring those voices,

On the other points, we're not trying to sanitise anything, just make people think about the needless/mindless abuse of our own players & the negative affect of going toxic on the terrace. The push back has been, we don't have any other route to express our displeasure..... so we've suggested one.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, BPAS said:

Fair enough on ignoring those voices,

On the other points, we're not trying to sanitise anything, just make people think about the needless/mindless abuse of our own players & the negative affect of going toxic on the terrace. The push back has been, we don't have any other route to express our displeasure..... so we've suggested one.

To be accurate, the idea was in response to the query raised by Ryan and your latest guest, who as far as I know aren’t the type to get cocky and aggressive whilst hurling needless and mindless abuse. They just want to be able to vent. 

Fan/supporter opinions on the manager are for the terrace, the pub and chats with your mates… not for a formalised, anodyne survey of opinions that is collated, formatted and sent to the club. That’s the avenue when exploring fan services, club shops, ticketing, car parks etc etc. 

It’s for the club to act on a manager when they see fit. You shouldn’t be running the sporting side of the club by what amounts to popular opinion polls. 

Are some people a bit gobby and stupid? Yes. Is that new? No. Ignore them. I’m sure the club are. 

edit.  Also, it’s a bit odd to suggest it’s either mindless and toxic abuse from the terraces or fill a form in, with nothing in between. Can’t we just have a moan and a groan!? 

Edited by kowenicki
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, kowenicki said:

I don’t recognise Matt’s observation that a large number of fans are demanding we should be top. That must be a small number of morons because I’ve never heard or seen them, probably because I don’t look at social media posts from them. You’re simply helping the social media platform amplify a tiny minority… ignore them!  Most fans want it just to click and we progress. 

People don’t demand that we are top of the league, but there are many, myself included, who expect us to be challenging at the top of the league and trying to win it. 
Who are we to argue with the font of all knowledge that is Matt Dean though

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Steve_R said:

People don’t demand that we are top of the league, but there are many, myself included, who expect us to be challenging at the top of the league and trying to win it. 
Who are we to argue with the font of all knowledge that is Matt Dean though

Do you resort to “mindless and toxic abuse”? 

Just now, Steve_R said:

Not me . I haven’t even joined the ‘Unsworth Out’ brigade. Just wish he’d do his job a lot better than he is doing.

So you are just doing a bit of moaning and groaning then, as the overwhelming majority are. I’ve never heard these ‘toxic morons’, if I did, I’d just think “bit of a dick” and move on.  

4 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

So you are just doing a bit of moaning and groaning then, as the overwhelming majority are. I’ve never heard these ‘toxic morons’, if I did, I’d just think “bit of a dick” and move on.  

I don’t even think I’ve been moaning and groaning. Well, maybe a a bit.

• Like 1

We're not Yeovil. We're not going to be grateful just to be in existence. We should be glad that we have a pretty sizeable fanbase, with the range of folk that brings with it. When we're shit on the pitch, some will still happy clap forever, some will main stand moan, some will boo occasionally, and some will be "toxic". Embrace the diversity.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Stainrod said:

About time we stopped using ‘toxic’ and ‘Piss boil’, they over exaggerate the activities of a relatively small portion of our fan base. Upset and angry? Yes, toxic, really?

Absolutely. Hyperbole. It’s divisive. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Stainrod said:

About time we stopped using ‘toxic’ and ‘Piss boil’, they over exaggerate the activities of a relatively small portion of our fan base. Upset and angry? Yes, toxic, really?

They are just a Zeitgeist.
"Upset" and "angry" probably being more accurate.

1 hour ago, Stainrod said:

When I'm seeing fans screaming for the manager to be sacked and am also seeing fans (who were more than old enough to know better) almost having fights with each other which I saw and heard at the last home game. Then it's not too much of an exaggeration to say it's toxic.

It's just that we've become so used to a toxic atmosphere that we've almost forgotten what normal looks like.

For the record I hope that the board do the right thing for the football club and if results continue that a change is made.

If the results in the second month of the season resemble the results of the first month and a change is not made then the directors are not doing their job as directors of Oldham Athletic. They are business people and will know about making tough decisions so I trust them to do the right thing.

All that said a win tomorrow will be a welcome relief for all of us.

Edited by GlossopLatic

For most, I think the word they're looking for is frustrated and taking it further, disappointed, it's got absolutely nothing at all to do with being either upset or angry, though some try to make it appear that way.

We thought we'd seen the worst and come through the other side thanks to Frank but we just need to see some wins on the board, in order some of that faith is being repaid and most importantly, to unite the fanbase.

It can't be overstated enough, just how important tomorrow's result will be received and I hope it's a win by whatever means possible, I'd take that.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, GlossopLatic said:

When I'm seeing fans screaming for the manager to be sacked and am also seeing fans (who were more than old enough to know better) almost having fights with each other which I saw and heard at the last home game. Then it's not too much of an exaggeration to say it's toxic.

It's just that we've become so used to a toxic atmosphere that we've almost forgotten what normal looks like.

For the record I hope that the board do the right thing for the football club and if results continue that a change is made.

If the results in the second month of the season resemble the results of the first month and a change is not made then the directors are not doing their job as directors of Oldham Athletic. They are business people and will know about making tough decisions so I trust them to do the right thing.

No one is denying a small minority act like dicks. 

The point is when the few are used to describe the many. (Or more than a tiny minority) 

• Like 5

9 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

Yeah that was bloody weird in that last home game. 

Two old men seemed to be fighting with eachother, both easily 65+. One lad in his 40s/50s proceeded to add some comments which I won’t put on here. Very weird stuff ! 

8 hours ago, League one forever said:

No one is denying a small minority act like dicks. 

The point is when the few are used to describe the many. (Or more than a tiny minority) 

Well there were enough people on here claiming a "majority" were chanting about unsworths football being shit. Is that not toxic?

9 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

When I'm seeing fans screaming for the manager to be sacked and am also seeing fans (who were more than old enough to know better) almost having fights with each other which I saw and heard at the last home game. Then it's not too much of an exaggeration to say it's toxic

It is still a tiny minority that fit the profile above.

However, as others have pointed out, there is a growing number of fans who are becoming increasingly frustrated and disenchanted with the performances.

The director level at the club are aware of this and, for the time being, are prepared to show patience and back the manager to turn it around.

But for how long?

1 hour ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Well there were enough people on here claiming a "majority" were chanting about unsworths football being shit. Is that not toxic?

You’re joking!?

So you’re telling me that some fans sang a song at a football match about a person who doesn’t win enough football matches. . . sounds awful. I hope somebody reported them. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Think "majority" was the key word in his post. 

I know Bob. . . but the amount is really irrelevant. The point was - is fans singing songs about the football being shit/calling for Unsworth to go toxic. 

My response to that is- it’s been happening since the dawn of football at every club when they’re struggling. It’s nothing new, and if we sanitise the fanbase to sit quietly you would have no atmosphere. 

• Like 1