MATCH: Bromley (A) 16/09/23

Significant that it’s almost a year ago (Saturday 24 September 2022 ) that David Unsworth took charge of his first game away at Bromley. 

We lost 3-0 and looking at the players he had at his disposal I am not surprised. 

Norman, Sheron, Threkeld, Cooper, Roberts, Carragher, Stobbs, Burgess, Tollit, Wellens and Luamba…subs were Couto, Fondop and McGlynn 😮

We went into the game in 14th place with 11 points from 9 games.  

We go into the game versus Bromley this Saturday in 17th place with 7 points from 8 games …

Unsworth has far better players at his disposal yet we are in a WORSE position points wise than when he took over.

Things have improved at the club apart from the obvious - how much longer does he get?

Lets have a win on Saturday huh?

• Like 4

Bromley have run into some form of late. However they've conceded goals as well as score them so far this season. Cheek has been bagging of late so it's time Norwood bags more than him. I think it's going to be tough with confidence running in opposite directions so it's crucial we score first.

First goal is the decider for me. Lets hope it's Norwood. COYB.

1 hour ago, Lags said:

Incidentally, I read somewhere a latics fan posted after speaking with Fondop and another (not sure if it was Hobson, can't remember) during a player appearance, they said that Lundstram is the best player at the club. No pressure then Josh.

Does he have much competition? Norwood is class above. The others are good for this level. 

3 of us traveling to this one from the south west, booked the train ages ago for a decent price thinking we would be top of league or at least play off spot and the promotion party would be in full flow. 

I should have know better shouldn't I?

Anyway 2-0 Latics Norwood & Green to bag the goals.  

Good post by BigDog and I’m looking forward to standing in the blinding sunshine again tomorrow and, I fear exactly one year on, listening to a bunch of teenagers from Bromley taking the piss out of us off the pitch while their well organised team takes the piss out of us on the pitch……please make me be wrong David!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lags said:

Incidentally, I read somewhere a latics fan posted after speaking with Fondop and another (not sure if it was Hobson, can't remember) during a player appearance, they said that Lundstram is the best player at the club. No pressure then Josh.

He is quality but it's a massive ask for him to carry that team on his own.

I think we'll do okay tomorrow if we can match them physically, can see red cards though and they'll be right up for it so need to be on it from the start, I'd play;

Norman

Sutton

Hobson

Hogan

Kitching 

Sheron

Green

Lundstrum (new signing if not fit)

Gardner 

Ward

Norwood

It's not negative to play Norwood up front on his own particularly away from home, it worked to a large extent at Gateshead and allowed us to get a foothold in the game, I expect a similar game to the Gateshead one so any result is possible really, much depends on how we start and whether we are brave enough to take it to them, if not it could be another 0-0.

14 minutes ago, Ritchierich said:

Good post by BigDog and I’m looking forward to standing in the blinding sunshine again tomorrow and, I fear exactly one year on, listening to a bunch of teenagers from Bromley taking the piss out of us off the pitch while their well organised team takes the piss out of us on the pitch……please make me be wrong David!

We have a similar recollection of the game! I also remember expecting to see some improvement, notwithstanding the manager had only been in place for a week, there was none. I also worried that the new manager had somehow thought that pumping long balls to Junior Luamba would have ever worked, again put it down to too little time. 

I fear the worst tomorrow. Bromley were so well organised last season. a massive, athletic team. Would love to see us play through them with more skillful play, unlikely.

If there is no demonstrable improvement tomorrow on what was served up pretty much a year ago to the day, it cannot play well for the manager (or the team for that matter). On the face of it the team we put out tomorrow will be better man-for-man than last year's team. It has to do better, has to. If not, no matter what is said in public, I'm sure whatever doubts the Board have will increase.

Edited by Hemel latic

16 minutes ago, Ritchierich said:

I'd forgotten about that pocket of teenage home fans. I'm 50/50 whether I can be arsed to go to this but the thought of a repeat of that might have just tipped me toward staying at home!

7 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

Significant that it’s almost a year ago (Saturday 24 September 2022 ) that David Unsworth took charge of his first game away at Bromley. 

We lost 3-0 and looking at the players he had at his disposal I am not surprised. 

Norman, Sheron, Threkeld, Cooper, Roberts, Carragher, Stobbs, Burgess, Tollit, Wellens and Luamba…subs were Couto, Fondop and McGlynn 😮

We went into the game in 14th place with 11 points from 9 games.  

We go into the game versus Bromley this Saturday in 17th place with 7 points from 8 games …

Unsworth has far better players at his disposal yet we are in a WORSE position points wise than when he took over.

Things have improved at the club apart from the obvious - how much longer does he get?

Lets have a win on Saturday huh?

There really is no defending him now....although some still try.🙄

I have a ticket for tomorrow but really can't be arsed to make the effort to go....pretty poor I know. I really hope we can get 3 points just to lift the mood a bit.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

I have a ticket for tomorrow but really can't be arsed to make the effort to go....pretty poor I know. I really hope we can get 3 points just to lift the mood a bit.

After last Saturday’s performance, I decided to give this one a miss - I was only going to change my mind if we brought a new player in this week as was indicated - that hasn’t happened 😮

27 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

Yes and all those jerks have been consigned to the ignored user's folder

All five of em, cheers for the inspiration BP1960, now I can enjoy this forum