The Next Oldham Manager

2 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Remind me then…I can’t even remember what I said yesterday!!

I’m guessing he’s saying that when Unsworth was here they were decent players who should be doing better, and it was all Unsworth’s fault that we weren’t.

Now, they are shit players who are playing to the max of their ability, whoever the manager is.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Steve_R said:

I’m guessing he’s saying that when Unsworth was here they were decent players who should be doing better, and it was all Unsworth’s fault that we weren’t.

Now, they are shit players who are playing to the max of their ability, whoever the manager is.

Correct. The view of many on here. Now the problem that was DU has left, its just all the players

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Correct. The view of many on here. Now the problem that was DU has left, its just all the players

I think most fans thought we had a decent squad and that they should be doing better and in time I thought they would too.

It was obvious we were going nowhere under Unsworth regardless and he had certainly been given enough time.

He brought the majority of these players to the club and the fact that they are still not performing under their 3rd manager suggests  something else.

If it’s not the players then you’re suggesting it’s the coaching?

Professional players even in this division should be able to pass a bloody football consistently to one another but we can’t even manage that!

Regardless of results we have  technically been 2nd best to just about every team we’ve played!

What do you think the problem is?

11 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

I think most fans thought we had a decent squad and that they should be doing better and in time I thought they would too.

It was obvious we were going nowhere under Unsworth regardless and he had certainly been given enough time.

He brought the majority of these players to the club and the fact that they are still not performing under their 3rd manager suggests  something else.

If it’s not the players then you’re suggesting it’s the coaching?

Professional players even in this division should be able to pass a bloody football consistently to one another but we can’t even manage that!

Regardless of results we have  technically been 2nd best to just about every team we’ve played!

What do you think the problem is?

So was DU to blame. Or ST? Or the players?

6 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

I wonder if this thread needs to be temporarily locked until such time as MM moves on, whenever that may be.

I keep seeing that it's got new posts, and with our track record for hiring and firing in recent years I panic and think MM has already moved on !! 👀

A couple more performances like Fylde and Newport and this thread may be needed…👀🙄

Why do mangers seem to think they can get something out of nuttall he has been tried so many times it just does not work. Unsworth finally got it Thompson worked him out pretty quick and Mellons seems to want to keep trying I do not see the point it is just costing us.

2 minutes ago, kev1970 said:

Why do mangers seem to think they can get something out of nuttall he has been tried so many times it just does not work. Unsworth finally got it Thompson worked him out pretty quick and Mellons seems to want to keep trying I do not see the point it is just costing us.

Perhaps he excels in training?😂😂

5 minutes ago, kev1970 said:

And to partner him with Norwood who despite his goals reputation looks half interested himself is a strange decision IMO.

16 hours ago, Steve_R said:

14 hours ago, mcfluff1985 said:

It's a fair point that mcluff has raised.

For me, the fact we instantly went on an 8 game unbeaten run (including 5 wins) when DU was dismissed, spoke volumes. Unfortunately, we never got the chance to see how that would continue as we then binned ST/Redders after 6 of those games, Paul Murray held the reins for 1 (so essentially another ST/Redders victory) and MM won his first at Rochdale.

In other words, we've had a period of considerable unsettlement behind the scenes and that rarely bodes well. Presently, there's no doubt we have regressed under MM (as against ST/Redders). I`m trusting he will sort things sooner rather than later, though. He really needs to do because you can sense the seeds of discontent being sown already amongst some fans when chatting generally.

Edited by wiseowl

16 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

I have said previously I cannot decide about Norwood but this is one thing I have never seen in his games for us so far.

Its absolute waffle that he looks half interested. The guy was shouting the players back after our second playing Alti so we could restart and push for the win. He then absolutely nailed someone (could have been a red) as he was eager to kick on. 

He was literally talking each player through the Rochdale game. Advising Hudson even where to direct his kicks. When it went to 2-2 he was the one motivating the team telling them to calm down. 

Why a section of our fans have decided to jump on his back as he doesn’t smile or celebrate like a mad man is beyond me. He will continue to score goals. He’s just annoyed that the majority of the players are shit. 

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Its absolute waffle that he looks half interested. The guy was shouting the players back after our second playing Alti so we could restart and push for the win. He then absolutely nailed someone (could have been a red) as he was eager to kick on. 

He was literally talking each player through the Rochdale game. Advising Hudson even where to direct his kicks. When it went to 2-2 he was the one motivating the team telling them to calm down. 

Why a section of our fans have decided to jump on his back as he doesn’t smile or celebrate like a mad man is beyond me. He will continue to score goals. He’s just annoyed that the majority of the players are shit. 

Check 15 seconds into the Newport match where he doesn't show the slightest interest in competing. He has ability but loses the ball often in challenges through not being forcefull enough.

Mellon needs to instill more resolution, better passing and off the ball movement or nothing will change.

Edited by BP1960

1 hour ago, wiseowl said:

For me, the fact we instantly went on an 8 game unbeaten run (including 5 wins) when DU was dismissed, spoke volumes. Unfortunately, we never got the chance to see how that would continue as we then binned ST/Redders after 6 of those games, Paul Murray held the reins for 1 (so essentially another ST/Redders victory) and MM won his first at Rochdale.

In other words, we've had a period of considerable unsettlement behind the scenes and that rarely bodes well. Presently, there's no doubt we have regressed under MM (as against ST/Redders). I`m trusting he will sort things sooner rather than later, though. He really needs to do because you can sense the seeds of discontent being sown already amongst some fans when chatting generally.

The performances in the last 3 of those games (where we drew) were awful. We were also largely outplayed against Kidderminster but got a win. We haven't regressed in my opinion, just more of the same.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, frizzell54 said:

Breaking news:

turds can’t be polished and 

They can be.

It's usually better to flush them away though 😃

Tranmere fans have talked Brabin up as a man who is very good at unblocking a toilet.

Whether or not he can after Unsworth was sat on it for a year might be another matter..... 😉

• Like 1

2 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

Perhaps he excels in training?😂😂

Remember, in order to get excel to work correctly and avoid the dreaded circular reference, you need an equals sign at the beginning of the formula. Maybe a subtotal or sumproduct as well

Try

=sumproduct(if(CF9,="Nuttall","shite"*"better than shite"))

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wiseowl said:

Absolutely unbelievable. He's been in charge for all of three games and you're already laying into him. Maybe we and MM should be grateful you weren't questioning him after the first match. Oh hang on, we won that one. 

3 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Check 15 seconds into the Newport match where he doesn't show the slightest interest in competing. He has ability but loses the ball often in challenges through not being forcefull enough.

Mellon needs to instill more resolution, better passing and off the ball movement or nothing will change.

Yes, why the hell didn't MM sub him after that happened? Now, some might say it's a trifle early in the game, but we need a proactive - dare I say muscular 👀 - approach. Let's face it, if MM isn't bringing on subs less than 1 minute into the game, he risks being called out for being indecisive. Come to think of it, when did Norwood last score in the first minute of a game? It simply won't do.

It's time to rid ourselves of this "slowly slowly" approach, a hangover from the Chuckle Brothers and Red Fleece regime. MM has had three league games and we're not top - sack him. If Norwood doesn't score straight from the kick-off in our next game, put him on the transfer list. That'll show 'em.

Edited by Worcester Owl
  • Like 5

7 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

Yes, why the hell didn't MM sub him after that happened? Now, some might say it's a trifle early in the game, but we need a proactive - dare I say muscular 👀 - approach. Let's face it, if MM isn't bringing on subs less than 1 minute into the game, he risks being called out for being indecisive. Come to think of it, when did Norwood last score in the first minute of a game? It simply won't do.

It's time to rid ourselves of this "slowly slowly" approach, a hangover from the Chuckle Brothers and Red Fleece regime. MM has had three league games and we're not top - sack him. If Norwood doesn't score straight from the kick-off in our next game, put him on the transfer list. That'll show 'em.

You’ll be told you don’t understand the game…

• Like 1