The Next Oldham Manager

1 minute ago, deyres42 said:

Wages way out of our league unless they are happy to take big drop from previous jobs.

Yes, but how do you actually know that?. Unless, the obviously you know them personally?.

They, like many footballers are out of work, they are like human ( just like you and me sir).

What’s wrong with an approach?.

4 minutes ago, Lukers1 said:

Yes, but how do you actually know that?. Unless, the obviously you know them personally?.

They, like many footballers are out of work, they are like human ( just like you and me sir).

What’s wrong with an approach?.

Well they were reportedly on 1 million a year if not more at Huddersfield.

No matter who it is it will be a gamble however what is absolutely certain is that we cannot let this guy have any longer!

They were devoid of all confidence today and is exactly what you would expect after the run of results we’ve had.

He’s destroying these players with his clueless approach and terrible tactics week on week!!

Nobody including the Royle’s can be left in any doubt now that his appointment has been an absolute disaster!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

No matter who it is it will be a gamble however what is absolutely certain is that we cannot let this guy have any longer!

They were devoid of all confidence today and is exactly what you would expect after the run of results we’ve had.

He’s destroying these players with his clueless approach and terrible tactics week on week!!

Nobody including the Royle’s can be left in any doubt now that his appointment has been an absolute disaster!

Frank seems to think he's ok and he pays his wages.

25 minutes ago, Lukers1 said:

It needs cools heads Glossop, if it’s true about the fans and Frank exchanging words then it’s very sad.

The board I think have been a little naive in how to handle Frank, you wouldn’t see Darren sat with the fans. 

Danny Cowley and his brother would fit the bill. They are still respected at Huddersfield and some fans think they were shafted.

It’s a very sad day, no one in a million years would have predicted this after only 9 games. 

Cool heads, tomorrow is another day..👍

I agree but if we were to pick the Cowleys it wouldn't be pretty they don't play flamboyant football. At Lincoln it was get the ball up to the big Number 9 and score goals from set pieces. If we want the Cowleys we'd have to accept the whole package.

Just now, deyres42 said:

Well they were reportedly on 1 million a year if not more at Huddersfield.

Yes but that’s reportedly , for a team who had an owner with no money at the time at the appointment they were a very in expensive duo to hire.

My business takes me to quite a few clubs, Huddersfield included. If they took them to the premiership the contract may have give them a million pound bonus. Then again, I’m just speculating like you, Huddersfield were in dire when they turned to the Cowley brothers.👍

We are all fans, wanting the best, hope you are having a good weekend.👍👍

18 minutes ago, 100milesaway said:

Williamson. He has a fantastic recond in this very division. all done on 1200 fans watching each game.

Watch him post match after the game against us, highlighted their weakness that day said they would go away and work on it and won 6-0 the week after.

He's an unassuming guy working on a bottom six budget punching way above their weight, they also play some of the best football I've seen over the 4 games we've played them at this level with a limited squad.

• Like 2

All things being equal, Wild would be my first choice if at all possible but not expecting it to be likely.

I'd be surprised but impressed if we were able to convince the Cowleys to come back to this level.

Realistically attracting a previously successful manager at this level would be our best bet, Neal Ardley would've been a great example of this before he took the York job.

If Maher, Williamson or Alty's Phil Parkinson were able to be attracted then I'd certainly be happy with them.

Options are definitely there and if having Murray in charge temporarily would allow us to get one of the above then it would be worth it.  One thing is certain though, Unsworth must go immediately.

22 minutes ago, Lukers1 said:

Yes but that’s reportedly , for a team who had an owner with no money at the time at the appointment they were a very in expensive duo to hire.

My business takes me to quite a few clubs, Huddersfield included. If they took them to the premiership the contract may have give them a million pound bonus. Then again, I’m just speculating like you, Huddersfield were in dire when they turned to the Cowley brothers.👍

We are all fans, wanting the best, hope you are having a good weekend.👍👍

Leave the money aside then, I don't see how having done the legwork building their reputation presumably with a view to managing as high as they can they would be willing to drop back down.

7 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Watch him post match after the game against us, highlighted their weakness that day said they would go away and work on it and won 6-0 the week after.

He's an unassuming guy working on a bottom six budget punching way above their weight, they also play some of the best football I've seen over the 4 games we've played them at this level with a limited squad.

The only caveat I'd add to Williamson, is that he's in his 5th (I think) season with them and I don't realistically think he'd be able to come here and have us playing like Gateshead straight away.

Whoever came in* would have to hit the ground running or I'd imagine the toxicity would turn towards the board.

* still don't think Unsworth's going anywhere yet anyway.

1 minute ago, deyres42 said:

Leave the money aside then, I don't see how having done the legwork building their reputation presumably with a view to managing as high as they can they would be willing to drop back down.

We all have mortgages and bills to pay if you haven’t then that’s bloody brilliant.👍.

Most forward thinking managers out of work would fancy their chances of taking us up and then moving onto sometime bigger.

👍

Just now, Lukers1 said:

We all have mortgages and bills to pay if you haven’t then that’s bloody brilliant.👍.

Most forward thinking managers out of work would fancy their chances of taking us up and then moving onto sometime bigger.

👍

I'm pretty sure their reputations are sufficiently intact to state that they won't be looking to return to non league at the current time.

Murray as interim.

Proper recruitment process.

If that brings nothing, break the bank for Wild.

Can't believe we had Wild and Wellens at the club under those last tossers and now we're probably going to have to pay to get someone as good.  Will our ducks ever line up?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, deyres42 said:

Completely unrealistic.

They've been out of work since 2nd January and have been unsuccessful in more than one application, most recently losing out to Appleton for the Charlton job. So they must be chomping at the bit.

Oldham Athletic is a very big job for the fifth tier. You're a club who could realistically achieve two promotions in three seasons, just as the brothers managed at Lincoln.

I think they could well be  interested but the one thing that might count against you is geography. They moved their whole families down to Portsmouth when they were appointed there. I believe they are reluctant to disrupt their  children's education again at present. Of course the brothers might be happy to live away from their families again; plenty do. But there is a vacancy at another club at your level right now. Not comparable in size of club but almost on the doorstep in Hampshire. Stewart Donald  seems to be investing some of the money he sucked out of my club into Eastleigh.

But I can think of no better replacement for Unsworth than the Cowley brothers.

• Like 5

Just now, deyres42 said:

Wouldn't say they failed at Portsmouth tbh.

Two mid-table finishes in League One with a Portsmouth side that had finished in the top 6 in two of the previous three seasons?

Not exactly anything to write home about. He was sacked when they were 12th - clearly the Board didn't consider him to be much of a success. 

1 minute ago, OneSizeFitz said:

Two mid-table finishes in League One with a Portsmouth side that had finished in the top 6 in two of the previous three seasons?

Not exactly anything to write home about. He was sacked when they were 12th - clearly the Board didn't consider him to be much of a success. 

It can be a tough gig there, expectations weigh heavy.

Last seasons L1 was super strong as well.