MATCH: Woking (A) 18/11/23

1 minute ago, Londonboy said:

One of the most one sided 1-0's you will ever see🙂

Passed it too a blue shirt well, switched the play well, defended well, worked as a team well, and just seemed comfortable in a 4 4 2 formation.

Only slight negatives were we need to be more clinical in front of goal, and we need some pace on the right side.

Everyone got an at least 7/10 for me today which is what we need if we are to get up the table.

Best away performance for a long time so very encouraging 😁👍

Btw Raglan looked class today and don't understand why he has been utilised so little.

This was before Green came on btw.....😁

Made a last minute decision to go and really pleased I did! We totally outplayed them and they just couldn’t get the ball off us. On another day it could have been 4 or 5 nil.

Everyone was solid, although I was a little disappointed in Ward and the substitution was spot on and Green made a real impact.

A couple of chances we missed near the end could have been goal of the season contenders…fantastic slick passing and clever flicks 

Excellent travelling support but the atmosphere was dead tbh but very happy with the 3 points…need to follow up with a similar performance at Barnet

Having not seen the game I'm not only pleased with the result but particularly by the descriptions on here that we created enough chances to have won by much more. Tough game Tuesday let's hope we can follow it up with something.

What formation did we play? I was encouraged last week by seeing us go to 3-5-2 did we stick with this or revert back to 4-4-2

Just now, GlossopLatic said:

Having not seen the game I'm not only pleased with the result but particularly by the descriptions on here that we created enough chances to have won by much more. Tough game Tuesday let's hope we can follow it up with something.

What formation did we play? I was encouraged last week by seeing us go to 3-5-2 did we stick with this or revert back to 4-4-2

Isn't the game on Wednesday? 

5 minutes ago, Ritchierich said:

Made a last minute decision to go and really pleased I did! We totally outplayed them and they just couldn’t get the ball off us. On another day it could have been 4 or 5 nil.

Everyone was solid, although I was a little disappointed in Ward and the substitution was spot on and Green made a real impact.

A couple of chances we missed near the end could have been goal of the season contenders…fantastic slick passing and clever flicks 

Excellent travelling support but the atmosphere was dead tbh but very happy with the 3 points…need to follow up with a similar performance at Barnet

Exactly.Barnet will be trying to get over their defeat.

Mellon will need time and patience  but the fans will keep with him if they can see improvements. Glad he is putting faith in players who have not played much if any.

He is showing belief and getting the players to show belief after having the confidence  knocked  out of some by his predecessor. 

1 hour ago, JoeP said:

Pah, you're missing the point.  Even if they'd have equalised, the performance was something which offers optimism going forward.

Almost textbook away display...and result aswell.

Not at all. If we win AND play well, that's perfection. The point is we need wins and lots of them to get out of this league. Playing well and losing 2 (or 3) points in a game will get us nowhere. 

Onwards and upwards.

On the M40 heading home 😀

I thought we played well today, plenty of passes finding our own players for a change.

Norwood played really well and took his goal well and would have had a couple more if it wasn’t for their goalies MOM performance.

Green helped us keep the pressure on when he came on.

Special mention to McGahey who I thought played a blinder as well. 
All in all one of the best performances of this season for me 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

442 mainly. Which is interesting because when they were warming up Ward was with the forwards and Gardner, Lundstram and Sheron were doing passing drills so I was expecting a 433. 

Players moved around though in a way that backs up what the manager has said about formations not mattering as much. 

18 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

442 mainly. Which is interesting because when they were warming up Ward was with the forwards and Gardner, Lundstram and Sheron were doing passing drills so I was expecting a 433. 

Players moved around though in a way that backs up what the manager has said about formations not mattering as much. 

The question now is, is this a turning point?

18 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

That's good to hear, it can get too rigid with formations, a little bit of freedom tends to mess with the opposition. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

It’s been turning for weeks, it’s just been in spells. 

Today is the culmination of those spells over a ninety minute performance. If we continue to match that level of performance there is no question we’ll get to where we want to be. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

I thought things started to properly turn in the last game. And that continued today with an even better performance. It’s only 2 games but if we keep this up then we’ll start moving up the table. Especially if we start taking these chances!

• Like 1

Best passing performance of the season today. Woking were a little one dimensional and played a limited long ball game which we contained well.

Gardner, Norwood, McGahey and Lundstram were the standouts for me. Ward struggled a little on his return from injury, Fondop put in the effort but should revert to the role of impact sub when Reid is back - and Freeman still doesn’t convince. 

A fine performance and I even had a brief chat with Frank Rothwell to round off the day 😃

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TheBigDog said:

Best passing performance of the season today. Woking were a little one dimensional and played a limited long ball game which we contained well.

Gardner, Norwood, McGahey and Lundstram were the standouts for me. Ward struggled a little on his return from injury, Fondop put in the effort but should revert to the role of impact sub when Reid is back - and Freeman still doesn’t convince. 

A fine performance and I even had a brief chat with Frank Rothwell to round off the day 😃

I bet Frank was smiling like a Cheshire cat

High time he started to see the success he so richly deserves 

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

I've got the same 4 stand out players in my imaginary notebook.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheBigDog said:

Are you starting to believe now BD? 😁

Wasn’t planning on going to this and was ready to miss my 2nd away game of the season, until the mrs woke me up at 8 this morning and wanted to go, great decision in the end. 
A slightly slow and laboured start in the first 20 with Hudson making a great save, but thought we were still overall the better side. That last 60-70 mins of that game however was 1 way traffic and I thought we were excellent, and 5-0 wouldn’t have flattered us. Only disappointment was not killing the game off and typical of us heading into injury time having to defend a couple of set plays, but we even did that well throughout against a big side. Everyone played well today but special mentions to Gardner and Norwood who were absolutely fantastic. 
Great away following, although plenty of faces I didn’t recognise, presumably fans getting their fix whilst it’s international break. There were definitely a couple of Ipswich fans there who came along to see Norwood. Very flat atmosphere though unfortunately. These open terraces really are hard to get anything going at times. 

Need to kick on now. 

• Like 1