MATCH: Barnet (A) 22/11/23

9 hours ago, Hemel latic said:

This for me as well, great substitution. Freeman was having a mare although the formation didn't help him. Backed up the win on Saturday, Barnet's defence seeing Mikey Fondop and Norwood in their nightmares tonight. Super Oldham.

Not sure how 4-4-2 doesn't help a right back?  It was a bit odd that their biggest threat in the first half was Stead on the left wing, and in the second half it was Kanu on the left wing.  Was that just a switch of flanks?

40 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Not sure how 4-4-2 doesn't help a right back?  It was a bit odd that their biggest threat in the first half was Stead on the left wing, and in the second half it was Kanu on the left wing.  Was that just a switch of flanks?

They consistently manufactured a 3v2 overload down our right until the change in formation. So on reflection, perhaps the change should have been made far earlier but seems churlish to criticise given the result.

Even taking into account the above Freeman had a difficult night, I thought he was blowing towards the end of the Woking game, I suspect he's not among the fitter members of the squad. Defended poorly even in trying circumstances.

Tbf Stead and Kanu are impressive players and one, or even both, would get into our first XI. 

3 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Brilliant. Thompson and Redfearn wouldn't have been capable of that tactical masterclass.

I've got Kitching down as 5 bookings now. One was at Newport in the cup - will that count towards a ban...?

Kitching, Green and Dickenson all on 4 bookings. Not sure at what stage of the season they're expunged, assume it's some point next month.

It's a shame for Kitching because 2/4 were thoroughly undeserved.

A really, really pleasing performance. We rode our luck at times towards the end of the first half and the start of the second. But I expected that against Barnet who have a bit of quality on the flanks. However we're starting to see a strong spine of the team emerging through the middle. We looked well drilled, well composed and well, er, good frankly!

Fondop was MoM for me. One thing he has in his locker is the ball sticks up front when he's about. Always capable of the ridiculous, and a head fart, but he brutalised their number 6 who looked shellshocked as the game wore on. We all knew Norwood is a class above. Provide the ammunition and the goals will flow with him. The way he took his second goal was top shelf, it was never in doubt.

My worry when Mellon came in was he was going to require a complete overhaul. All it took really was McGahey coming back from injury!

28 minutes ago, Hemel latic said:

Kitching, Green and Dickenson all on 4 bookings. Not sure at what stage of the season they're expunged, assume it's some point next month.

It's a shame for Kitching because 2/4 were thoroughly undeserved.

Think it’s a ban if you get 5 bookings in first 23 league games  then 10 in 37 so a couple of games  to go 

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Brilliant. Thompson and Redfearn wouldn't have been capable of that tactical masterclass.

I've got Kitching down as 5 bookings now. One was at Newport in the cup - will that count towards a ban...?

Not 100% but Hogan was allowed to play at Newport in the FA Cup, which was in the middle of the Altrincham and Eastleigh games which he was banned for both, so obviously FA cup doesn’t count in terms of serving a ban for bookings, so surely it shouldn’t count for receiving bookings also. Anything could be the case with these clowns running football though, so que Kitching being banned Saturday.  

l was going to praise the fans but lve just seen a video of 300 of em in the small small smaller section taking over the town. so lve got the tar out and brushed you all with it!!!

can we please just save that for when we actually are doing?

for a wednesday on TV all the way down in that there London it was noisy AF.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

is that who it was?? 🤣🤣 l think he is holding back on gettin on board bc he has had his hopes trampled one time too many!!

he be ok by feb possibly jan at this rate.

I know, I get the pessimism or caution to an extent, but we are so starved of anything it’s equally as important to really enjoy it when play well. 

15 minutes ago, daniel said:

Not 100% but Hogan was allowed to play at Newport in the FA Cup, which was in the middle of the Altrincham and Eastleigh games which he was banned for both, so obviously FA cup doesn’t count in terms of serving a ban for bookings, so surely it shouldn’t count for receiving bookings also. Anything could be the case with these clowns running football though, so que Kitching being banned Saturday.  

Hogan was banned for Altrincham after his red against Fylde. His first yellow in the Fylde game didn't count, meaning he was back to 4 bookings. So he was back for the Newport game and able to play against Eastleigh. He then got booked at Eastleigh, meaning he was back to 5 bookings, hence his suspension against Woking...

• Thanks 1

I was impressed with the way Hope took his goal. I expect his detractors will point out his earlier chance when his first touch let him down but he'd just come on and was "cold". He capped a good move with a really good clinical finish. Perhaps an indication of MM's influence on confidence ?

1 minute ago, redlion said:

I was impressed with the way Hope took his goal. I expect his detractors will point out his earlier chance when his first touch let him down but he'd just come on and was "cold". He capped a good move with a really good clinical finish. Perhaps an indication of MM's influence on confidence ?

and the amount of chances we create now 

Barnet fans not too complementary…

Honestly thought out of these 3 games we should be aiming for at least 6. Gateshead were in pretty poor form and lost their gaffer and Oldham are crap let’s be real. Let down by individuals tonight, which seems to have become a common theme recently.

6 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Honestly thought out of these 3 games we should be aiming for at least 6. Gateshead were in pretty poor form and lost their gaffer and Oldham are crap let’s be real. Let down by individuals tonight, which seems to have become a common theme recently.

thats brilliant!!! these guys down here awww l jus wana metaphorically ruffle their hair or sumat. lm kind of fond of them like the scottish and the welsh who hate us passionately, at least theyve got reasons!!

l just cant get any emotion for them, its hard enough tryna convince myself to give a shit about chesterfield.

35 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

I read that too, definitely slightly pompous tones from fans who are getting a little above their station. 
Although I’ve been guilty of that a few times since we began our National League journey ….

14 hours ago, League one forever said:

The consistency of performance is really starting to come good. As I’ve repeatedly said it would. . . 😎

You have - fair play to you as I hadn't seen it. I went with an Arsenal fan last night (and sat amongst the Barnet fans) so it was an interesting perspective. He thought Barnet were comfortably the better team first half but thought our second half performance was excellent. Barnet fans generally were commenting how they had literally "fallen off a cliff" over the past 3 games (i.e. including ours) and that the inconsistency was so frustrating.

That's the key for us now; consistency (and keeping Norwood free of injury). Massive shout out for Fondop - many calling for him "never to play again", "he's a liability" etc. after his sending off in the Solihull home defeat. He was an absolute powerhouse last night - and impressed over a full game. 

I previously commented how we had initially regressed under MM (although I always supported and had faith in him getting it right). Glad to say he's proving to be a wily old soul. Great stuff - very well done indeed and I just hope we get an extra 1,000 or so on the next home gate and create a decent atmosphere (been missing lately at BP). The feel good factor is creeping back !

• Like 1

Great performance all round. Even when our backs were to the wall there wasn't much panic. The team knew when to drop deep and when to push out and press.

Barnet scored at 2 goals per game before last night so it's no surprise they looked threatening when going forward. But we rode that storm and were clinical on the break.

We're seeing different types of performances now with the players looking comfortable and confident with whatever they're being asked to do.

I wonder whether we might see the formation that ended the game start on Saturday?

• Like 1