MATCH: Barnet (A) 22/11/23

13 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Great performance all round. Even when our backs were to the wall there wasn't much panic. The team knew when to drop deep and when to push out and press.

Barnet scored at 2 goals per game before last night so it's no surprise they looked threatening when going forward. But we rode that storm and were clinical on the break.

We're seeing different types of performances now with the players looking comfortable and confident with whatever they're being asked to do.

I wonder whether we might see the formation that ended the game start on Saturday?

I doubt it as it was a specific, and very effective, tactical response to a specific threat.  Can't say I know enough (i.e. anything!) about how Ebbsfleet play to consider whether it may be appropriate, but even if they play similarly they clearly aren't as good as it.

• Like 1

l love how they are loving defending. Fondop at Woking celebrated his defensive headers (and then winning a last second free kick in our box) like a goal.

Under Rhino defending was a sloggish chore whereas now Raglan just launches himself into a goalsaving block almost enjoying it. infact, probably enjoying it.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

I doubt it as it was a specific, and very effective, tactical response to a specific threat.  Can't say I know enough (i.e. anything!) about how Ebbsfleet play to consider whether it may be appropriate, but even if they play similarly they clearly aren't as good as it.

True. He's moved to a back 3 a couple of times before though and I think Raglan and McGahey have played their way into the starting line up. So if sticking with 2 CBs, what would that mean for Hobson or Hogan unless he changes to a 3? 

A good problem to have!

2 hours ago, wiseowl said:

You have - fair play to you as I hadn't seen it. I went with an Arsenal fan last night (and sat amongst the Barnet fans) so it was an interesting perspective. He thought Barnet were comfortably the better team first half but thought our second half performance was excellent. Barnet fans generally were commenting how they had literally "fallen off a cliff" over the past 3 games (i.e. including ours) and that the inconsistency was so frustrating.

That's the key for us now; consistency (and keeping Norwood free of injury). Massive shout out for Fondop - many calling for him "never to play again", "he's a liability" etc. after his sending off in the Solihull home defeat. He was an absolute powerhouse last night - and impressed over a full game. 

I previously commented how we had initially regressed under MM (although I always supported and had faith in him getting it right). Glad to say he's proving to be a wily old soul. Great stuff - very well done indeed and I just hope we get an extra 1,000 or so on the next home gate and create a decent atmosphere (been missing lately at BP). The feel good factor is creeping back !

I’m looking at or for the fundamentals, and can you see the patterns of play being worked on and then being improved. The answer to the above is a resounding yes. Barnet a good side and we’re always going to come at us in the first half, but our shape was very good out of possession, we pressed really well as a team, and still carried a threat on the counter. That’s exactly what you want away from home. Second half we had a sloppy start but quickly recovered and took the game away from them with some superb quick passing through the lines. 

I now understand what other fans meant when they said Mellon has a negative style. He doesn’t at all, he has a hard to beat style. Which means defensive discipline out of possession - everyone working their bollocks off to win it back and then playing the forward pass as quickly as possibly to creat chances. 

When was the last time we had a manager who could bring defensive solidity and create a hatful of chances???? 

It’s genuinely really exciting, and all this- without a single signing. . . 

• Like 9

16 minutes ago, League one forever said:

I’m looking at or for the fundamentals, and can you see the patterns of play being worked on and then being improved. The answer to the above is a resounding yes. Barnet a good side and we’re always going to come at us in the first half, but our shape was very good out of possession, we pressed really well as a team, and still carried a threat on the counter. That’s exactly what you want away from home. Second half we had a sloppy start but quickly recovered and took the game away from them with some superb quick passing through the lines. 

I now understand what other fans meant when they said Mellon has a negative style. He doesn’t at all, he has a hard to beat style. Which means defensive discipline out of possession - everyone working their bollocks off to win it back and then playing the forward pass as quickly as possibly to creat chances. 

When was the last time we had a manager who could bring defensive solidity and create a hatful of chances???? 

It’s genuinely really exciting, and all this- without a single signing. . . 

Great post, very well articulated. Barnet weren't chanceless yesterday and certainly carried a threat down our right until the tactical change, but generally we closed down much better and defended well as a team, we didn't see the oppo walking through us, or having easy long range pot shots.

And it's a joy to see the passing through the lines and midfielders receiving the ball on the turn rather than with back to oppo goal.

Loving seeing the partnerships developing:

McGahey and Raglan

Lundstram and Sheron

Norwood and Fondop.

Also love that Mellon has done this with the existing squad rather than ripping it all up and starting again. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Hemel latic said:

but generally we closed down much better and defended well as a team, we didn't see the oppo walking through us, or having easy long range pot shots.

Spot on Hemel- and it’s this type of thing that just hasn’t been happening for ages. 

How long have we said- teams just dominate our midfield or we are so easy to play against . . well the same players are now dominating and every one of them has raised their level. It’s great to see. 

• Like 1

Saturday will be really interesting - a totally different type of challenge. We're at home against a team that will probably look to defend and the crowd will be fully expecting a comfortable victory. About as far from last night as possible.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, League one forever said:

I’m looking at or for the fundamentals, and can you see the patterns of play being worked on and then being improved.... but our shape was very good out of possession, we pressed really well as a team, and still carried a threat on the counter.

I really like this point, and said similar to my dad. He'd said "we suddenly look a lot fitter" and I countered with a similar point to yours - we're not fitter, we're just running more. And I don't mean the classic headless chicken shit. In the games I saw under Undsworth we'd sit deep and not press. Yesterday we sat deep, sure, but we pressed and harried every single play, top to bottom. That was a huge difference maker in how the game went.

Even when Kanu was rinsing us, they were not getting an outrageous number of gilt-edged chances because we pressed the ball when he passed it. 

Game changing for this style of play.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, nzlatic said:

Saturday will be really interesting - a totally different type of challenge. We're at home against a team that will probably look to defend and the crowd will be fully expecting a comfortable victory. About as far from last night as possible.

They can't defend and it could be a Grave ending 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nzlatic said:

Indeed we scored 4 goals last night by counter attacking and putting the ball behind the defence. Ebsfleet will probably be playing 20 yards deeper but won't have the attacking threat that Barnet have and will let us have more of the ball. It will be a test of our guile and creativity and of our temperament as we will be going into the game with an expectant home crowd looking to build on 2 good wins and a slow start could see them becoming restless. We will have some players such as Mcgahey and Gardner who's fitness may struggle to hold up to 3 games in the space of a week. 

Not wanting to put a downer on what are 2 very good results,  but if anyone thinks Saturday is a given then you've learned nothing from supporting Oldham Athletic.

• Like 2

Just realised the average age of our starting 11 last night was 28.5.

We must have one of the oldest squads in the league?

Fine if they can keep playing like they have in the last 2 games.

Just hope they can all keep the pace of what will be a long, hard season and could be 50 plus games, and not pick up injuries to key oldies like Norwood, Gardiner etc👍

• Matt unfeatured this topic