MATCH: Dorking Wanderers (A) 06/01/24

8 minutes ago, Only Blue said:

You put exactly what I would have said.

Ignore the negative comments, most are to wind people up and the ones that genuinely slag off don't really understand football.

Seiously? If so, that is unbelievably arrogant. There are plenty who know a lot about football who are very unhappy with that performance. 

20 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

If it's hyperbole let's see what the manager says about it, feckin hell on here if you pass an honest opinion your morbid, negative and clueless.

We were shit, nobody is knocking the fact we've found a way to pick up points despite being comprehensively outplayed but I'd rather we signed a couple of footballers in the Stones mould who can make the difference. 

Yep lets see what the manager says I reckon he won't use the terms embarrassment or a disgrace.

Btw win lose or draw every Saturday night you are on here having a rant about somebody or something to do with OAFC (I get it when we lose and in some cases draw but not when we win) do you think maybe you need a different hobby because it's clearly making you miserable.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Magic Mikey said:

Seiously? If so, that is unbelievably arrogant. There are plenty who know a lot about football who are very unhappy with that performance. 

I am not talking about being unhappy , I am talking about slagging it off. Using words like "disgrace" etc.

I didn't enjoy the match. I thought we didn't really deserve to win on performance but no team ever wins every game by playing well. So take these wins and be HAPPY about them.

• Like 4

Cannot complain about another away win and being in the play offs but as many have said the second half performance was very poor. We played hoof ball for most that second half.  

Good to see Fondop getting game time again and he always helps out defensively. I had hoped that Ward would have been given some game time today after his good second half last week as a sub.

Mellon will slowly changing things as the weeks go on and as others have said he is getting results with this squad.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Magic Mikey said:

Mellon being one of them I’d imagine.

It’s possible to be delighted with the result and what it does to our league position whilst thinking it was a poor performance today. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mickjagger said:

I cannot believe the negativity in this thread, MM is getting the most out of this squad instilling a resillience and finding a way to win 👏

Is this your first time on here?😁

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Obviously, the points are the most important thing and I’m more than happy in that respect, however, you surely can’t be happy with that 2nd half performance.

I’m sorry I’m not a win at all costs lad, I will praise a good performance but will criticise a poor one and was a poor one!

I do like to see a bit of football along the way but we were wacking it upfield at every available opportunity. We just couldn’t pass the ball at all and there was no composure whatsoever right through the team.

I have no idea how a professional football club can put in a performance like that against a part time set up. I would be more than a little pissed off if I had travelled 230 miles to watch that!

MM will obviously be bringing players in and until that happens he’ll be looking to just stay in the mix. I get that but it doesn’t alter the fact that we were so so bad. It will take more than 1 or 2 additions to turn this lot in to play off winners!

I wouldn’t be pissed off, I’d be singing all the way home. E I E I E O would feature heavily.

You say we need new players because you want more attractive football, but hardly give any credit to a side that just won 5 away games on the bounce without the players needed to play more attractive football. . . Do you get the contradiction here? 

We’re winning without a creative midfielder. 

We’re winning without a right back.

We’re winning with centre half at wingback

We’re winning with a centre half as a deep lying midfielder. 

We’re winning without any width. 

We’re winning when the manager has only made two signings and one hasn’t played yet. 

But - when you’re not a win at all cots lad I guess that’s irrelevant because it’s just bloody awful. 

I, on the other hand- quite like winning.

E I E I E O. 😁🙌🏻

• Like 13

26 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Yep lets see what the manager says I reckon he won't use the terms embarrassment or a disgrace.

Btw win lose or draw every Saturday night you are on here having a rant about somebody or something to do with OAFC (I get it when we lose and in some cases draw but not when we win) do you think maybe you need a different hobby because it's clearly making you miserable.

You've not even watched the game today yet you want to preach what can and can't be posted, good one that. 

I'm happy we've won but we were crap, apologies if my brutal assessment rattles you petal.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

A very disturbing performance, and one that needs significant improvement between now and April. But another 3 points. Can't believe we wasted 9 games of the season on that prick...

Amen

Misplaced ”patience”.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

You've not even watched the game today yet you want to preach what can and can't be posted, good one that. 

I'm happy we've won but we were crap, apologies if my brutal assessment rattles you petal.

We’re crap at times because of the obvious gaps in the side, and yet still winning. . . 

Until he can get the players he wants, I’ll take crap winning football all day. 

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, League one forever said:

You say we need new players because you want more attractive football

I would like a little more finesse admittedly but I actually said that we need new players if we are to have a chance of winning the playoffs.
It doesn’t alter the fact that we were crap in that 2nd half and extremely lucky to come away with the points!

35 minutes ago, League one forever said:

I wouldn’t be pissed off, I’d be singing all the way home. E I E I E O would feature heavily.

You say we need new players because you want more attractive football, but hardly give any credit to a side that just won 5 away games on the bounce without the players needed to play more attractive football. . . Do you get the contradiction here? 

We’re winning without a creative midfielder. 

We’re winning without a right back.

We’re winning with centre half at wingback

We’re winning with a centre half as a deep lying midfielder. 

We’re winning without any width. 

We’re winning when the manager has only made two signings and one hasn’t played yet. 

But - when you’re not a win at all cots lad I guess that’s irrelevant because it’s just bloody awful. 

I, on the other hand- quite like winning.

E I E I E O. 😁🙌🏻

👏. Post of the night. (Apart from many of mine). 

31 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

"petal" 🤣  I think we both know which one of us is being rattled here it's not me lad.

No I didn't go I decided not to by the sounds of it I'm glad I didn't if winning is making you describe the performance as embarrassing (you're words) I'm quite comfortable with that decision.

We won enjoy it.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, League one forever said:

We’re crap at times because of the obvious gaps in the side, and yet still winning. . . 

All the historical evidence suggests this is how his teams play, we probably shouldn't be holding our breaths for massive improvement on that front.. 

1 minute ago, deyres42 said:

All the historical evidence suggests this is how his teams play, we probably shouldn't be holding our breaths for massive improvement on that front.. 

I’ve seen two types of performance under Mellon, illustrated perfectly today. 

First half we play a high line, our shape is very good, and the gaps between defence midfield and attack are small. We play at a good temp and create plenty of chances. 

Second half- the exact opposite. The defence play a lot deeper bringing everyone back with them, we lose our tempo, create nothing and look leggy. 

Sometimes this happens in the same game- like today. Sometimes it happens one game following another. Barnet into Ebbsfleet. 

But despite the inconsistency, he wins most games. . . 

In fact he’s taken 23 points from 12 league games.  That is nearly 2 points a game, which would be good enough over a season to see us challenge for the title. 

Im starting to think he’s a god Eyrsey, would you agree? 

17 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Absolutely but some seem to think we can't be pleased with the wins and worried about the performances, look at the difference today without Stones we literally offered nothing up for the last hour, much of my frustration stems from us being still so close but in other ways miles away, what a waste it would be to get ourselves right in the mix only to be let down by the same players, them subs today for instance were fucking embarrassing, midfield again just giving the ball away and surrendering possession at will, it's the same week in week out.

Defence and keeper last few games have kept us in it, I just hope at some stage the midfield contributes because at the minute they are all struggling. I also keep reading about Sutton not being up to it but he's done well the last couple of games particularly going forwards.

18 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

"petal" 🤣  I think we both know which one of us is being rattled here it's not me lad.

No I didn't go I decided not to by the sounds of it I'm glad I didn't if winning is making you describe the performance as embarrassing (you're words) I'm quite comfortable with that decision.

We won enjoy it.

We were comprehensively outplayed by a part time outfit for a full hour, they were both fitter and keener. Our keeper has made several world class saves (that's no exaggeration) and we've held on for dear life, I'll enjoy the win and the three points as much as the next man but I'm not going to just post bolĺocks just for the sake of it, we need better players (2 or 3) if we are going to make this play off push meaningful, it really is that simple.

7 minutes ago, League one forever said:

I’ve seen two types of performance under Mellon, illustrated perfectly today. 

First half we play a high line, our shape is very good, and the gaps between defence midfield and attack are small. We play at a good temp and create plenty of chances. 

Second half- the exact opposite. The defence play a lot deeper bringing everyone back with them, we lose our tempo, create nothing and look leggy. 

Sometimes this happens in the same game- like today. Sometimes it happens one game following another. Barnet into Ebbsfleet. 

But despite the inconsistency, he wins most games. . . 

In fact he’s taken 23 points from 12 league games.  That is nearly 2 points a game, which would be good enough over a season to see us challenge for the title. 

Im starting to think he’s a god Eyrsey, would you agree? 

I mean he's no David Dunn but I guess when he delivers two Wembley trips in a week I'll bite my tongue for a bit.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Absolutely but some seem to think we can't be pleased with the wins and worried about the performances, look at the difference today without Stones we literally offered nothing up for the last hour, much of my frustration stems from us being still so close but in other ways miles away, what a waste it would be to get ourselves right in the mix only to be let down by the same players, them subs today for instance were fucking embarrassing, midfield again just giving the ball away and surrendering possession at will, it's the same week in week out.

Defence and keeper last few games have kept us in it, I just hope at some stage the midfield contributes because at the minute they are all struggling. I also keep reading about Sutton not being up to it but he's done well the last couple of games particularly going forwards.

Genuinely- what is worrying about poor (only at times) winning football?

We know the reason/s it’s a struggle, so other than making the best of what we’ve got - what do you expect? Your point about stones is a good one- and he highlighted what a difference a quality player can make - but Mike Fondop isn’t as good as Josh Stones  so again, what do you expect? 

We could always follow Dorking the management always give a sympathetic ear to offers of advice and disappointed fans:

Good ole Marc - apologies if this has been posted before.  🙂

Edited by Punce
sp
  • Like 2