Wonderful player for Latics. Although the legs were beginning to go, his reading of the game, anticipation, coolness under pressure and distribution marked him out as quality. But for the presence of Bobby Moore he could have been an England hero.  RIP Gentleman Jack.

15 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

John Hurst has died.

Played 170 games for Latics between 1976-81.

A great player for us when players saw out their careers in the lower leagues which doesn’t happen anymore. RIP.

Trying to think of the last player we had who might have been thus described

4 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Trying to think of the last player we had who might have been thus described

Technically Peter Clarke. Sheridan and Eyres would be on the list too.

Chris Eagles retired after playing for us briefly and Paul Murray retired after being on our books, but I don't recall him playing.

3 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

Technically Peter Clarke. Sheridan and Eyres would be on the list too.

Chris Eagles retired after playing for us briefly and Paul Murray retired after being on our books, but I don't recall him playing.

I'd say Shez is the only one of those that counts

A tremendous player for Latics and part of my composite team of the best players I have seen play for Latics.

He was part of a real upgrade in personnel that saw us move away from the stalwarts who had gained us two promotions to players with more obvious pedigree.

I am not sure if it was on the same day, but we signed Vic Halom, a recent FA Cup winner, to join John Hurst, a recent Division 1 league winner. Great signings both.

Later, he  combined very effectively with Kenny Clements, who was very quick and good in the air.

In style, he certainly had the time of Jobson, but played off the centre half, rather than being dominant in the air. Maybe Sean Gregan in style, if not quality, would be a decent comparison?

• Like 1

So sad to hear this. I remember him so well, back in the days when I didn’t miss many home games. I was so excited when he decided to join us, as @oafc1955says, it was a time when top flight players were happy to finish their careers at a lower level. He was a very good player, a real professional.