MATCH: Kidderminster Harriers (H) 24/02/24 - Frank's Homecoming

1 hour ago, deyres42 said:

Despite the fact that our 'strengths' probably lie mainly in central defence I think they are going to have to go to a back four, we don't have a RWB up to it and Kitching, for all he is better going forward then defending, seems to perform better at LB, would mean either Sutton or going back into market for a RB.

Hope has his limitations but he does at least give you energy and can finish, given that Reid is obviously toast then I think we need to find a place for him.

Gardner, if he is in the squad then you might as well start and if he breaks down then so be it, can't be any worse than Lundstram and Sheron.

Dallas, early days but you can see why Barnsley quickly had second thoughts about him...

hard not to agree after watching that. 3 in the middle and they can’t pass it more than twice between them all game so they may as well go 2.

id drop sheron and lundstrom and get 2 from Gardner Conlon and the loanee in there. Weak as but gets two who I think are our major issue atm out the team. 

Did not like Mellons interview one bit. Kiddy weren’t physical played on the floor and their 10 Hemmings at the freedom of the pitch. 

concerning now three corners In three games we have conceded. Hudson a good shot stopper but his judgement his very poor 

Think Mellon's interview was fair enough (apart from the "deserved equaliser" line.. as soon as he said it I think he knew it was bollocks).

Need a big, big reaction Tuesday.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BradKnowles1 said:

Did not like Mellons interview one bit. Kiddy weren’t physical played on the floor and their 10 Hemmings at the freedom of the pitch. 

concerning now three corners In three games we have conceded. Hudson a good shot stopper but his judgement his very poor 

He didn’t claim they were, he said we didn’t compete and didn’t win enough duels, or one on ones. He also acknowledged that we are ‘willing to go to war’ away from home but it’s not happening at home. 

His style is largely irrelevant at the minute - far more concerning is what Mellon is highlighting- we just don’t compete at home. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, League one forever said:

He didn’t claim they were, he said we didn’t compete and didn’t win enough duels, or one on ones. He also acknowledged that we are ‘willing to go to war’ away from home but it’s not happening at home. 

His style is largely irrelevant at the minute - far more concerning is what Mellon is highlighting- we just don’t compete at home. 

In that case the players are just taking the piss, worse still Mellon is allowing it. This lot won't win fuck all being so weak. What a platform they had today, it should have really mattered to them - but it didn't. Some of them actually don't even give a fuck and the ones that do are very limited footballers. 

Edited by yarddog73

47 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Really? Do you think there is an explanation?

I do think it's poor form to only do the  "easy" interview (on official)- from that, Mellons reasons were spot on, question is why did we continue then to hoof the ball as it got no better? 

He clearly saw we were winning nothing in the air, second balls etc also mentioned losing the battling side of the game. 

I do believe he set us up to play hoof ball today though, regardless of the players being brave enough on the ball to pass it around or not. 

In essence I think we were battling up hill today with the hoof ball tactics and inability to change that.

1 hour ago, JoeP said:

Nah, not having that about Fondop. He was the only one (with Hammond to some extent) that tried to make things happen. His partner Garner was completely anonymous, barring "winning" a few free-kicks..

I don't dispute he tries hard (although much of his running is chasing his second touch/running to where he should be), but he's an unbelievably limited footballer who cannot be a starting centre forward for a team with ambitions. He should be limited to being a pest with 15 mins to go. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, josh_latics said:

I don't dispute he tries hard (although much of his running is chasing his second touch/running to where he should be), but he's an unbelievably limited footballer who cannot be a starting centre forward for a team with ambitions. He should be limited to being a pest with 15 mins to go. 

Well we saw how we fared without him, absolutely no threat from Dallas.

Pretty unforgivable performance that today. I'm sick of us constantly hiring cowardly footballers, especially midfielders, who won't take responsibility and treat the football like a hot potato and can't wait to get rid of it. The amount of times the ball was played backwards then hoofed aimlessly forwards today, fuck me. MM got it wrong too, especially Lundstram at RWB. People calling for his head can get absolutely to fuck though. Started to get a bit sick of our fanbase tbh

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, josh_latics said:

It's an absolute myth that he's a limited footballer. Scores the spectacular, scores from close range, scores with his head, scores with his feet, holds the ball up, lays it off well, battles with defenders. More often than not offers more than the strikers on our books with a more enviable CV.

As I say, Garner was anonymous today. Would you really rather have had two Garners up front than two Fondops?

5 hours ago, L1onheartNew said:

Wtf is wrong with our home form???

Play away like a team possessed, play home like any skill we have has been exorcised.

Er, no we don’t, we sometimes play well but we are often garbage like at Ebbsfleet. Our defensive tactics just work better away 

I think between here and Twitter/X there has been plenty of overreaction to today

We're in late February, not early September, we know what this team is by now.

We're a team of grafters who will play direct, have little if no creativity and going to struggle at home against lower placed teams as a result

We know we're paying the price for allowing Unsworth to have the first 10 games and, more crucially, the summer transfer window

We're going to continue to pay that price until we have had probably 2 summer transfer windows, so although it's definitely not been pretty, for Mellon to get 2 ppg with the current squad is decent 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, St92 said:

I think between here and Twitter/X there has been plenty of overreaction to today

We're a team of grafters who will play direct, have little if no creativity and going to struggle at home against lower placed teams as a result

We know we're paying the price for allowing Unsworth to have the first 10 games and, more crucially, the summer transfer window

We're going to continue to pay that price until we have had probably 2 summer transfer windows, so although it's definitely not been pretty, for Mellon to get 2 ppg with the current squad is decent 

True but he's brought in Stones, Conlon, Walker, Sachdev, Hammond and Garner when we should have brought in 3 nailed on starters. His recruitment has been poor so far.

2 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

In that case the players are just taking the piss, worse still Mellon is allowing it. This lot won't win fuck all being so weak. What a platform they had today, it should have really mattered to them - but it didn't. Some of them actually don't even give a fuck and the ones that do are very limited footballers. 

The players are taking the piss. Have been at home for most of the season. Including the Trophy games. It’s a massive attitude problem and lack of ability in several players involved. Not sure how Mellon is allowing it though…when he does pull it up (Reid) some quarters give him shit for it. He’d bin loads of these bad attitudes off if he could but he (and we) are stuck with them until at least the summer. So they’ll stink out the place on some more occasions. 

At this level, the club is too big for a number of them. Genuinely think some are shocked at the level of expectation & it’s too much for them. Especially when 11k turn up. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, St92 said:

MM can take us to promotion. This year or next (with some major luck this year & next year more likely) 5th Division League football is utterly perplexing. When we finally got rid of Unsworth, ST comes in & after months of s**te results, & we win at home against York 2-0 & 4-0 Oxford and thrn Kidderminster away, a few draws, Dogdale away 2-1 then loose to Fylde 3 nil?! There’s been a good average PPG under MM & some great results like Barnet & Boreham Wood, though regularly failing at home still & with other crap results like Woking, Ebbsfleet. The playoffs are going to be a proper roller coaster if & when we get there.. With the Rothwell’s at the helm, I have no doubt our club is on the up.

6 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Too late, the one I recommended who was available at the time from Manchester City Alex Robertson is now at Portsmouth.

From a Portsmouth fan.

"Robertson is the best player in the league and we are incredibly lucky to have him".

With respect..... we cannot compete with Pompey!!

As Frankly Mr Shankly has said previously, bipolar Tics. It was beyond shit but it is what we are. Completely unpredictable and too often poor. We'll go and win a couple of games though and the mood on here will change massively. 

We're not good enough to play well consistently and we'll continue to get a shit result for every two decent ones. We'll still average close to 2 points a game though and have as much chance as another 8 teams of going up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, boundaryblue80 said:

The players are taking the piss. Have been at home for most of the season. Including the Trophy games. It’s a massive attitude problem and lack of ability in several players involved. Not sure how Mellon is allowing it though…when he does pull it up (Reid) some quarters give him shit for it. He’d bin loads of these bad attitudes off if he could but he (and we) are stuck with them until at least the summer. So they’ll stink out the place on some more occasions. 

At this level, the club is too big for a number of them. Genuinely think some are shocked at the level of expectation & it’s too much for them. Especially when 11k turn up. 

I know where you’re coming from  - but it’s got to be more than that.

The same players that are mentally weak, can’t pass, and look devoid of any confidence in possession - go away and play the polar opposite. The club isn’t to big for them away from home. There is some decent footballers away from home. . . 

Just a small example- Why is Sheron playing a 60 yard pearler of a ball at Maidenhead and the week after passing it back to the keeper from the half way line? 

In my view it’s because we try not to lose first at home- we concede territory, sit off, and then can’t get a foothold in the game. The crowd get restless and confidence drops. That’s not the players fault. It’s the tactics and the way they’re being set up. Mellon ‘tried’ to be more attacking at home the other week, and apologised for it! Then said we’ll stick to what we’re good at- which is hard to beat and gritty. That’s great away from home- but sooner or later he is going to have to find a way of letting the players get on the front early at home and get their confidence going. 

12 hours ago, JoeP said:

Seen some criticism of the centre-backs, which is a bit harsh. Hobson's our best player and Raglan is solid. 

All they can do is hoof it, if there's no midfield. 

Hudson is OK too, but I don't think that corner we gave away when he sort of palmed a back-pass away in the first-half will make his YouTube highlights video...

I rate each of Hobson, Raglan and Hogan individually at this level, but as a unit they've just conceded 2 poor goals from corners in the last 2 games that have directly lost us points.  Add to that they don't look like an attacking threat from set pieces either despite their height, physicality and nous (admittedly Conlon and Gardner's slow drifted balls don't help) and there has to be questions asked about them.

Edited by the_mighty_bosh

4 hours ago, League one forever said:

I know where you’re coming from  - but it’s got to be more than that.

The same players that are mentally weak, can’t pass, and look devoid of any confidence in possession - go away and play the polar opposite. The club isn’t to big for them away from home. There is some decent footballers away from home. . . 

Just a small example- Why is Sheron playing a 60 yard pearler of a ball at Maidenhead and the week after passing it back to the keeper from the half way line? 

In my view it’s because we try not to lose first at home- we concede territory, sit off, and then can’t get a foothold in the game. The crowd get restless and confidence drops. That’s not the players fault. It’s the tactics and the way they’re being set up. Mellon ‘tried’ to be more attacking at home the other week, and apologised for it! Then said we’ll stick to what we’re good at- which is hard to beat and gritty. That’s great away from home- but sooner or later he is going to have to find a way of letting the players get on the front early at home and get their confidence going. 

If I go to the driving range (novice), 2 out of 50 balls I’ll probably nail. 

The above applies to Nathan Sheron. He pumps it up field so much, the law of averages suggest one will come off eventually. Doesn’t make up for the fact he’s garbage 95% of the time. 

I know I beat the same drum over Sheron, but we have been consistently shit with this lad in midfield. He’s meant to be the battler, he won fucking nothing yesterday. Hand on heart, I would have won more second balls than that lad yesterday. 

• Like 3

Just now, LightDN123 said:

If I go to the driving range (novice), 2 out of 50 balls I’ll probably nail. 

The above applies to Nathan Sheron. He pumps it up field so much, the law of averages suggest one will come off eventually. Doesn’t make up for the fact he’s garbage 95% of the time. 

I know I beat the same drum over Sheron, but we have been consistently shit with this lad in midfield. He’s meant to be the battler, he won fucking nothing yesterday. Hand on heart, I would have won more second balls than that lad yesterday. 

Like I said at the time, he looked good against Maidenhead. They are part time. 

We start every home game the same. We change ends which makes no sense. We kick off lump it into touch, to give them a throwing to attack.

we are a long ball team but not good at it. It’s aimless hoofing, we create very little. 

any team who presses us we panic. 

• Like 1