MATCH: Kidderminster Harriers (H) 24/02/24 - Frank's Homecoming

What a poor performance. Kidderminster played a good passing game which we are not capable of. Our "gritty" team played hopeful balls forward without looking at where they were trying to pass to. Too much hoofball again and many on here have said it like it is. 

I was amazed to see that we are still in top seven. We have some tough games coming up and judging on our home performances  we are possibly going to drop more points than our play off rivals so another season in this league is a distinct possibility-more than likely a definite possibility. Despite all the big name signings we are not a cohesive unit like Kidderminster today who have been playing together for a while with some coming through the youth teams together. 

Just now, BP1960 said:

We need a fast direct running central attacking midfielder, that's what I'd have signed as we are far too pedestrian.

Anyone in your network BP?. Any suggestions, that was poor today?.

Took advantage of the £1 offer , and brought a freind with me today , he's a reading  fan  I did warn him pre match what would happen andthe Oldham team on the pitch backed me up perfectly .My mate couldn't figure out what our game plan was  and the only thing we had was hoof ball as we couldn't put two passes together .Said that Fondop was 10/10 for effort but little talent but still was surprised when he took him off .Truly dreadful performance and I can't see anyway out of this dilema

I don't see many home games, but I've seen a good few away this season and in arguably our best 3 performances at Barnet, Woking and Maidenhead Green started and gave us some real impetus going forward. 

Yes he has his limitations defensively but he's the only one, with maybe Hammond who has any pace out wide.

Stones also gave us this in his brief cameo and we had great results.

We are so narrow and one dimensional without him, that until Mellon starts him and plays to a system where he gets the ball from midfielders, and ruins at players our style simply will not change.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Why would they criticise a man with 5 promotions? Put your signed picture of David Dunn away (pull your pants up) and thank your lucky stars a man of his incredible pedigree is here. 

Past reputations don't equate to current success, the football is turgid and will continue to be so.

Why won't you admit it?

11 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

That’s not what I was saying though. I’m not suggesting we don’t need to improve because everyone else is shit, that would make no sense. Or that it makes performances like today acceptable. 

It’s the nature of this league in this particular season. There’s only 1 team in the whole league that look worthy of going up. It’s bizarre. 

I didn’t mean you specifically, just a general point that the inconsistency of others sometimes masks what Mellon is producing. 

I’ve said myself-  never underestimate how shit you can be and finish 7th. . which is true. But again it does mask what we are watching. 

3 minutes ago, Lukers1 said:

Anyone in your network BP?. Any suggestions, that was poor today?.

Too late, the one I recommended who was available at the time from Manchester City Alex Robertson is now at Portsmouth.

From a Portsmouth fan.

"Robertson is the best player in the league and we are incredibly lucky to have him".

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Why would they criticise a man with 5 promotions? Put your signed picture of David Dunn away (pull your pants up) and thank your lucky stars a man of his incredible pedigree is here. 

We are lucky to witness diabolical home performances I suppose.

Seen some criticism of the centre-backs, which is a bit harsh. Hobson's our best player and Raglan is solid. 

All they can do is hoof it, if there's no midfield. 

Hudson is OK too, but I don't think that corner we gave away when he sort of palmed a back-pass away in the first-half will make his YouTube highlights video...

8 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Past reputations don't equate to current success, the football is turgid and will continue to be so.

Why won't you admit it?

In the same way that current poor performances don't equate to guaranteed poor football in the future.

Despite the fact that our 'strengths' probably lie mainly in central defence I think they are going to have to go to a back four, we don't have a RWB up to it and Kitching, for all he is better going forward then defending, seems to perform better at LB, would mean either Sutton or going back into market for a RB.

Hope has his limitations but he does at least give you energy and can finish, given that Reid is obviously toast then I think we need to find a place for him.

Gardner, if he is in the squad then you might as well start and if he breaks down then so be it, can't be any worse than Lundstram and Sheron.

Dallas, early days but you can see why Barnsley quickly had second thoughts about him...

3 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

In the same way that current poor performances don't equate to guaranteed poor football in the future.

Well they will at home with his hoofball tactics .

7 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Well they will at home with his hoofball tactics .

Let's just hope he adapts the way he sets us up then, which he has apparently done at the three other clubs he won promotion with (can't remember a Latics manager I've been able to say that about).

11 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Despite the fact that our 'strengths' probably lie mainly in central defence I think they are going to have to go to a back four, we don't have a RWB up to it and Kitching, for all he is better going forward then defending, seems to perform better at LB, would mean either Sutton or going back into market for a RB.

Hope has his limitations but he does at least give you energy and can finish, given that Reid is obviously toast then I think we need to find a place for him.

Gardner, if he is in the squad then you might as well start and if he breaks down then so be it, can't be any worse than Lundstram and Sheron.

Dallas, early days but you can see why Barnsley quickly had second thoughts about him...

A fair post, more of this please.

51 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

The bizarre thing about this league is that everyone else from 2nd to 9th (our current play off rivals) look just as capable of shocking results. So I still see us as having as good a chance as any of those clubs of going up.

new could but in general play we are usually second best. We just don’t look a good team for the league when u watch us.. hard to see us delivering in any game really 

• Like 1

What an awful day out. Nobody came out with any credit, but particular failures:

Lundstrum - abject. No confidence. Can't pass, tackle, dribble or shoot. Hopeless. 

Sheron - every second touch is a tackle. A joke of a footballer. I am confident this is the highest his career will go, and if we are serious about promotion, he shouldn't be near the pitch again. 

Fondop - brainless. Rarely in the position he should be. Outmuscled by Pearce for every long ball, so what is the point in him being there. Zero football intelligence when the ball is at his feet. 

Mellon - awful. Failed Frank. Failed 12,000 fans. The midfield is limited, but he is not putting in place anything to improve them. Lundstrum at RWB was a dismal choice. Subbing Hammond was a bad choice. Dallas was a terrible sub. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, josh_latics said:

What an awful day out. Nobody came out with any credit, but particular failures:

Lundstrum - abject. No confidence. Can't pass, tackle, dribble or shoot. Hopeless. 

Sheron - every second touch is a tackle. A joke of a footballer. I am confident this is the highest his career will go, and if we are serious about promotion, he shouldn't be near the pitch again. 

Fondop - brainless. Rarely in the position he should be. Outmuscled by Pearce for every long ball, so what is the point in him being there. Zero football intelligence when the ball is at his feet. 

Mellon - awful. Failed Frank. Failed 12,000 fans. The midfield is limited, but he is not putting in place anything to improve them. Lundstrum at RWB was a dismal choice. Subbing Hammond was a bad choice. Dallas was a terrible sub. 

Nah, not having that about Fondop. He was the only one (with Hammond to some extent) that tried to make things happen. His partner Garner was completely anonymous, barring "winning" a few free-kicks..

• Like 1

Another 200 mile round trip. More steam pouring from my ears.  That was bloody dreadful AGAIN , and I still have no idea of how the team is set up to play football.

I suspect Mellons honeymoon period is about to suffer some fan flack.  His football is almost as bad as the previous manager served up, Between them we have signed lots of players, yet look worse.

How the hell did Kitching stay on the pitch until the end ? he was worse than useless .  There just doesn't seem to be a connection between different elements of the team . Is a midfield player an alien conception to Mellon, if we are going to aimlessly hoof the ball over our midfield, can we just play 6 up front, then maybe we will get a kick in the opposition's half of the pitch. With the added benefit, that we could stop passing the bloody ball backwards every other pass.

Our style of play is totally frustrating to watch, and is not going down at all well with thousands of our fans. And I suspect that the managers insistence of bringing in older players, is not going to work in today's football world, not even at National league level. 

2 hours ago, Handsy said:

Absolute  terrible performance the book stops with Mellon. He got so much wrong today 

Which book might that be then, and who wrote it? 🙄

If you are going to make silly remarks about Mellon, it would help if you got your spelling right.