Micky Mellon Sack Watch

20 minutes ago, spanishfly said:

Well MM has nailed his colours to the mast in that interview. I`ve inherited many players who just aren't good enough. I`ve tried to improve them but they are incapable of improving to the standard I know is required. I know what is required and it's going to need some new players and for some contracted ones to be paid off. Over to you, Board.

It's an unusual interview, for sure, but I like it. I like honesty and it's been obvious for a while that the players are not busting a gut for him. It's a bloody critical summer this. I think the owner is going to have to be brave and trust MM in what he is saying. It's going to cost an awful lot more money than ever was anticipated to get us up, that's for sure.

Whover appointed DU (someone tells me it was Joe's recommendation not DR's?) AND sanctioned his player choices needs to be held accountable too.

Agreed, it felt like a watershed moment didn’t it. 

He said a lot of stuff there that can’t go back in the bottle. 

Don’t know what you think, but it felt to me like he was challenging the board - as if to say, it’s either me or them. Back me or sack me. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Don’t know what you think, but it felt to me like he was challenging the board - as if to say, it’s either me or them. Back me or sack me. 

Yes thought exactly the same. 

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

Even during that spell he was booed at home matches for his 7 at the back tactics.

Instead of bigging him up you need to ask why he's lost total control of the team?

Fans pay good money to this club and I've no doubt they have been badly let down by the manager and players.

If you were served regular poor meals  in a restaurant would you still praise the chef and hope he improves with a new menu?

We need Gordon Ramsey at this club to tell the board it as it is. 😁

Where on earth in @Gaz_Oafc’s post does he “big up” MM? Lost total control??? I’m sorry BP but you are talking absolute nonsense there.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, League one forever said:

I disagree. 

When you wipe a company’s debt, give it multiple new staff and give it a very large cheque to move forward with - you want to see that business get results/ make improvements after two years.  What you don’t say is, don’t worry - I don’t expect anything for 5 - 10 years. What you allude to is the micro, what I am talking about is the macro. Recruitment, player profile and age, sell on value, contracts given, youth pathway- we have failed miserably. Furthermore all this ‘normalcy of business’ doesn’t happen at a lot of other clubs. Strange that.

You’re going to extremes again to validate your narrative. . . no one is saying torch it all. It’s a lot more simple  than that- and Mellon has started the ball rolling with that interview. 

Since Frank came in - the football operation has been and is a mess. Not because of what they inherited, but because they‘ve made poor decisions in the last two years alone. 

This is on DR, the board, and Mellon, - not to say sack them- but to say they have done a poor job and it needs addressing asap. As Mellon says some very honest conversations need to happen. 

Jesus. Where did I say that?! And I’m the one supposedly going to extremes!

You aren’t involved in the business but yet you’re talking as if you’ve got full visibility of every facet of the business, it’s targets and it’s success/failures. Whereas in reality you’re looking solely at what is happening on the pitch. 

And yes the past almost certainly has an impact on footballing matters even after Frank came in. Our reputation for how we dealt with agents or other clubs for example, our reputation with players for not paying them. A new owner just doesn’t wipe all those things away immediately, it takes time to turn around. Our non existent scouting network. The facilities we could offer players. Our coaching infrastructure. All these things needed building from the ground up. You don’t get every decision on that journey right. 

The football side of things need improving. What has gone wrong has to be understood and put right. Processes need to be improved. Personnel may need to change. But to say that what happened in the past has no lasting impact is nonsense. The same can be applied to Mellon. He’s had 6 months and made a few signings so the failure to reach the play offs is on his shoulders alone and so he needs sacking? I don’t agree. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, diggleblue said:

Don't hear Halifax fans or Aldershot fans calling for their managers to be sacked after both losing today.Our so called fans need to grow up, drink less before games and support the manager.

They dont have any 

1 hour ago, Fervid said:

The blame firmly sits at Darren Royles door, simples. 
He’s had a free ride by most up until now but questions need asked. 

As leader of the management team hierarchy, Darren should stand up and be counted. 
He shouldn’t be exempt from a Q & A at the next fans forum. 

Frank, Darren and Mickey should give our supporters some of their time.

The meat and potato pie supper is pretty decent to be fair. 

1 hour ago, nzlatic said:

Stop what? Saying Mellon should be given time or criticising fans who are trying to hound Norwood out?

There's plenty of striker's doing far better in this league on far less money than Norwood but saying that, could Mellon get the same out of them?

Don't mind the interview so much as he's clearly hurting but what sticks in my mind - and has cropped up a few times since he's been appointed - is his own lack of diligence in taking the role/ownership of the team.

He mentions his second game Vs Fylde and I distinctly remember being dumfounded by the lineup and the inability to change the game in our favour after a poor start. I thought to myself at the time that he mustn't have watched any of our games back before taking the job as he paired players that had not worked multiple times before. One of the reasons I was fairly keen to keep Thompson was he'd lived through the Unsworth era so knew the shortcomings and what would need to be done over the coming months. 

The first few weeks of Mellon saw several infuriating lineups in the name of getting to know a player's worth and who he could trust. We've reached the back end of the season and his answer is now "none of them". I can fully understand the way he's gone about certain things but each big decision he's made (banishing Reid, loaning out players, recruitment positions, square peg players to manage games) has ultimately meant we've come up short whilst playing some truly awful football. It's not just the league games, we've been thoroughly embarrassed in the cups too.

Can see arguments for keeping him or getting rid but either way there needs to be an investigation into why it's gone so wrong across footballing operations at the club. When you look how Southend/Solihull started the season and how the likes of Gateshead have adapted to a gutting of talent halfway through, it's just embarrassing how scattergun and wasteful we are.

My season ticket price is at least a third of a banished player's weekly wage. York aside, how many other clubs at this level would carry that?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

You aren’t involved in the business but yet you’re talking as if you’ve got full visibility of every facet of the business, it’s targets and it’s success/failures. Whereas in reality you’re looking solely at what is happening on the pitch. 

And yes the past almost certainly has an impact on footballing matters even after Frank came in. Our reputation for how we dealt with agents or other clubs for example, our reputation with players for not paying them. A new owner just doesn’t wipe all those things away immediately, it takes time to turn around. Our non existent scouting network. The facilities we could offer players. Our coaching infrastructure. All these things needed building from the ground up. You don’t get every decision on that journey right. 

The football side of things need improving. What has gone wrong has to be understood and put right. Processes need to be improved. Personnel may need to change. But to say that what happened in the past has no lasting impact is nonsense. The same can be applied to Mellon. He’s had 6 months and made a few signings so the failure to reach the play offs is on his shoulders alone and so he needs sacking? I don’t agree. 

Excellent, common sense post. I would double upvote it if I could.

• Like 2

I genuinely don't know where we go from here??

Stick with a manager who clearly sounds like he thinks we have another painful journey ahead next season, and has been lost over the last 10.games 

Twist and go again with someone new who will still inherit our bunch of frauds who arn't good enough.... but may have a different view on how we play 

Bloody depressing init.

• Like 1

Few people have mentioned Reid recently . Lets get it right he wasnt doing much when he was in favour and has a history of flatering to decieve . I think his level is middle to bottom of this league or the league below, as with quite a number of other players we have . He was fully aware of the consequencies of his actions . Hopefully someone else wants him along with the other 18 we need gone.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

If you've not seen Mellon post match he's effectively agreeing with 90% of what fans on here have been suggesting the past six months and that is 'YOU CAN'T POLISH A TURD".

Totally agree with you . He has known for a while, but  his hands have been tied because he needed a tune out of them . He needs the backing of the board and fans to get rid of whoever he deems not fit .

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

You didn’t. I did- I was giving an example of how long we may wait with  your expectations, and the unrealistic nature of not expecting anything to happen in the first two years. 

38 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

You aren’t involved in the business but yet you’re talking as if you’ve got full visibility of every facet of the business, it’s targets and itssuccess/failures. Whereas in reality you’re looking solely at what is happening on the pitch. 

Eh? Neither are you, and yet you talk in absolute terms of how a football club works - when in reality you have  no idea. I’ve never claimed to know- I can only go what off DR says in public at fans forums, to OASF, to the pod - you then look and see how that affects what happens on the pitch. Which is our only barometer. So of course I’m looking at what happens on the pitch- it’s the sole reason why we bother supporting them. 

54 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

No, sorry- a new owner does exactly that. Football is a very small world, and word very quickly gets out that Oldham have money - don’t seem to remember us struggling to give Scunthorpe 100k for nuttall and pay him good wages and deal with his agent. Agents will be falling over themselves to offer us players, why - because we pay good money, our recruitment and length of contract tell you that. Our scouting network was sorted in the first few months, and has produced nothing. Our coaching set up below first team is very good with muzza and chucks doing a great job with the youth. So that doesn’t wash. 

1 hour ago, nzlatic said:

I actually think we’re agreed here. 

Mellon needs to take responsibility for his part, but he is not solely responsible for the mess we find ourselves in and it needs everybody The Rothwells - DR - the board - Mellon in the summer to tell some home truths. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, penrhyn said:

Totally agree with you . He has known for a while, but  his hands have been tied because he needed a tune out of them . He needs the backing of the board and fans to get rid of whoever he deems not fit .

Exactly this, you could see at the fans forum when he first arrived and was being questioned about the squad and recruitment that he was being diplomatic and holding back what he really thinks as he’s needed them for a large portion of the season still. 
What he has to do now is release every single player out of contract, to free up wages. I’ll have much less sympathy for him if we offer deals to the likes of McGahey, Green and Gardner etc. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, penrhyn said:

Few people have mentioned Reid recently . Lets get it right he wasnt doing much when he was in favour and has a history of flatering to decieve . I think his level is middle to bottom of this league or the league below, as with quite a number of other players we have . He was fully aware of the consequencies of his actions . Hopefully someone else wants him along with the other 18 we need gone.

He's got a decent record. 5 goals from 12 appearances / 473 minutes.

If the board are backing Mellon next season then they need to act decisively.
As has been said, every single player out of contract needs to go to free up the budget.

Although it will be expensive, we need shut of Willoughby, Nuttall (who I’m pretty sure will both be returning after their loans finish) Shelton, Tollitt and any others who won’t be considered for the 1st team.

We’ll be paying them in full for sitting on their arses so if they ain’t playing and we can’t find them a club we should bite the bullet and pay em off. We need as clean a slate as possible because having them around the club will only cause more unrest and disruption!

If we do that then I think we’ll have reasonable a chance of going up .

If we don’t I fear we could be down in this division for some considerable time.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Gentleman said:

Don't mind the interview so much as he's clearly hurting but what sticks in my mind - and has cropped up a few times since he's been appointed - is his own lack of diligence in taking the role/ownership of the team.

He mentions his second game Vs Fylde and I distinctly remember being dumfounded by the lineup and the inability to change the game in our favour after a poor start. I thought to myself at the time that he mustn't have watched any of our games back before taking the job as he paired players that had not worked multiple times before. One of the reasons I was fairly keen to keep Thompson was he'd lived through the Unsworth era so knew the shortcomings and what would need to be done over the coming months. 

The first few weeks of Mellon saw several infuriating lineups in the name of getting to know a player's worth and who he could trust. We've reached the back end of the season and his answer is now "none of them". I can fully understand the way he's gone about certain things but each big decision he's made (banishing Reid, loaning out players, recruitment positions, square peg players to manage games) has ultimately meant we've come up short whilst playing some truly awful football. It's not just the league games, we've been thoroughly embarrassed in the cups too.

Can see arguments for keeping him or getting rid but either way there needs to be an investigation into why it's gone so wrong across footballing operations at the club. When you look how Southend/Solihull started the season and how the likes of Gateshead have adapted to a gutting of talent halfway through, it's just embarrassing how scattergun and wasteful we are.

My season ticket price is at least a third of a banished player's weekly wage. York aside, how many other clubs at this level would carry that?

Good post. You have to wonder if there's something self-fulfilling about Mellon apparently telling the board early doors that many players on long & expensive contracts lack quality and character. These same players had enough to turn around a bad start and 'cement' their place in the play offs. They had enough to be 2nd in the away results table. They had turned a corner under Thompson, Mellon picked up the baton and we were picking up points and looking up the table for weeks and months. The subsequent capitulation and its manner is a disgrace and there's something more to the story than bad players.

I was well on board with Mellon and can see how his CV warrants a summer, but the players seemingly downing tools is a huge worry. Halifax and Aldershot both getting beat today is added kick in the balls. 

I don't think I've seen mention of the play off windfall that's been passed up which could have been anything from modest to significant. The Rothwells must be absolutely spewing on every level and you expect a manager of Mellon's profile and credentials to not let such surrenders happen on his watch - especially on the back of letting him add a few not inexpensive signings.

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, Can Neil Redfearn Do It said:

You have to wonder if there's something self-fulfilling about Mellon apparently telling the board early doors that many players on long & expensive contracts lack quality and character. These same players had enough to turn around a bad start and 'cement' their place in the play offs. They had enough to be 2nd in the away results table. They had turned a corner under Thompson, Mellon picked up the baton and we were picking up points and looking up the table for weeks and months. The subsequent capitulation and its manner is a disgrace and there's something more to the story than bad players.

It’s very good point. 

The players keep hearing variations of - you’re not good enough- yet had us 5th in the table. Maybe they’ve grown tired of keep hearing they’re not good enough, and have downed tools. 

Get rid for me, his total negative approach to games is mind numbing, no plan B, this dinosaur is finished and I think by his interviews, he wishes he never got back into the game, especially with this bunch of no hopers!!!!! 

16 minutes ago, League one forever said:

It’s very good point. 

The players keep hearing variations of - you’re not good enough- yet had us 5th in the table. Maybe they’ve grown tired of keep hearing they’re not good enough, and have downed tools. 

If that's true, which it probably isn't, then surely we should be sacking each and every one of them for a total lack of professionalism?

56 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

If that's true, which it probably isn't, then surely we should be sacking each and every one of them for a total lack of professionalism?

You’re right it shouldn’t happen. . .

But it happens all the time at clubs, players don’t like the manager or style or how he talks to them, they down tools.

Who knows what’s happened on the dressing room- but when you’re the manager comes out and publicly says a lot of them aren’t good enough- I think you can safely say there’s trouble in the camp. 

5 hours ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

Please stop living in failing manager's pockets 

Am I wrong with my point? No. 

5 hours ago, Fervid said:

The blame firmly sits at Darren Royles door, simples. 
He’s had a free ride by most up until now but questions need asked. 

Tell us what Darren Royle has been responsible for exactly and how he has failed...

7 hours ago, Can Neil Redfearn Do It said:

Good post. You have to wonder if there's something self-fulfilling about Mellon apparently telling the board early doors that many players on long & expensive contracts lack quality and character. These same players had enough to turn around a bad start and 'cement' their place in the play offs. They had enough to be 2nd in the away results table. They had turned a corner under Thompson, Mellon picked up the baton and we were picking up points and looking up the table for weeks and months. The subsequent capitulation and its manner is a disgrace and there's something more to the story than bad players.

I was well on board with Mellon and can see how his CV warrants a summer, but the players seemingly downing tools is a huge worry. Halifax and Aldershot both getting beat today is added kick in the balls. 

I don't think I've seen mention of the play off windfall that's been passed up which could have been anything from modest to significant. The Rothwells must be absolutely spewing on every level and you expect a manager of Mellon's profile and credentials to not let such surrenders happen on his watch - especially on the back of letting him add a few not inexpensive signings.

Great post and well articulated, particularly on the back of some very strange team selections, Norwood coming back in and offering very little in comparison to the Garner/Fondop partnership which had seen us climb well in to the playoffs, I think that's 11 games winless with Norwood in the side after he scored 12 in Mellons first 15 games he's bagged one goal against Chesterfield in the only game you could arguably say he was up for, this on the back of Mellon claiming these are the games that your big players stand up and be counted, Norwood for me has been the biggest disappointment in his last 11 games and frankly not good enough, it does feel a bit fishy to me for sure.

• Like 1