MATCH: Altrincham (A) 01/04/24

3 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Hitting the drink for this one, can anyone recommend anywhere beforehand ? 

If you are into proper beer there is Rustic on Stamford St and Costellos just off the same road that is a brewery tap. Plenty of bars and pubs just along from the station but nothing really on the way to the ground.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

There used to be a couple of dangerously good Belgian bars in Altrincham town centre, but I’m going back a few years. Strong stuff but you may need it!

1 hour ago, LightDN123 said:

I'll try to get through it with the assistance of a bottle of 'Nice Drop Shiraz' (£4.25 from ASDA) while keeping an eye on the laptop screen. There doesn't seem to be any BBC radio commentary for today's match, so I'll be relying on counting the 'Get In!' versus the 'FFS!' exclamations in order to keep track of the score.

• Like 1

Biggest wage bill

largest playing squad

2nd best squad measured by experience and EFL pedigree

18 months of investment and effort in the football enviornment by a committed board and a magnificent family ownership

Two highly paid managers recruited, both backed to the hilt to have whichever players they wanted

the best and most high profile centre forward in the division 

Based on all recent experience today is the day when all the above is finally chucked in the bin (for this season at least). A footballing lesson awaits from a team with a playing staff earning about a quarter of ours played on a ploughed field surrounded by some cowsheds with a fan base of a couple of thousand, oh and it’s live on TV, so lots more people get to witness it.

The utter shitshow of the last few weeks all stemmed from that disgusting display v Kidderminster. Teams with anything about them do not lose on days like those, it does not happen. Our lot simply did not have it in them to win that day, and in doing so, as a collective (management included) showed to us what they were all about.

of course the squad is imbalanced, but the 11 he puts out each week (even with Macgahey at right back and four centre mids) should have enough about them to win when it matters and get the points needed (from where we had ourselves pre Kiddy) to finish up about 5th.

The gaps in the squad is just an excuse and covers up for some clearly deep seated problems within the playing squad and/or the relationship with the coaching team. I don’t know what they are, but it’s baffling that 15 or so highly experienced players and a manager of the experience and intellect of Mellon has not been able to fix it. They have been together for months now, and cannot blame any external factors for their failure. 

That group, have royally fucked things up, and I hope in time we find out what has happened to cause this, because to me it is a mystery.

Play ugly but win was clearly the game plan, and with the tools available there is nothing wrong with that plan. Why has it not happened?

• Like 7

30 minutes ago, Summerdeep said:

I'll try to get through it with the assistance of a bottle of 'Nice Drop Shiraz' (£4.25 from ASDA) while keeping an eye on the laptop screen. There doesn't seem to be any BBC radio commentary for today's match, so I'll be relying on counting the 'Get In!' versus the 'FFS!' exclamations in order to keep track of the score.

I'm no techie but I can run an HDMI cable from laptop to telly

4 minutes ago, Summerdeep said:

^ My telly's so ancient that it only has Scart connections (CRT job, circa 1998).

Treat yourself to a cheap 50 inch smart TV and a chipped firestick. Still cheaper than a season ticket. 

55 minutes ago, Summerdeep said:

It is on TNT so easy enough to find a pub showing it if you want.

I know the Blue Club in Chadderton is open now and showing the match this afternoon, OL9 0HH.

32 minutes ago, Andy Barlow’s dietician said:

Biggest wage bill

largest playing squad

18 months of investment and effort in the football enviornment by a committed board and a magnificent family ownership

Two highly paid managers recruited, both backed to the hilt to have whichever players they wanted

Based on all recent experience today is the day when all the above is finally chucked in the bin (for this season at least). A footballing lesson awaits from a team with a playing staff earning about a quarter of ours played on a ploughed field surrounded by some cowsheds with a fan base of a couple of thousand, oh and it’s live on TV, so lots more people get to witness it.

The utter shitshow of the last few weeks all stemmed from that disgusting display v Kidderminster. Teams with anything about them do not lose on days like those, it does not happen. Our lot simply did not have it in them to win that day, and in doing so, as a collective (management included) showed to us what they were all about.

of course the squad is imbalanced, but the 11 he puts out each week (even with Macgahey at right back and four centre mids) should have enough about them to win when it matters and get the points needed (from where we had ourselves pre Kiddy) to finish up about 5th.

The gaps in the squad is just an excuse and covers up for some clearly deep seated problems within the playing squad and/or the relationship with the coaching team. I don’t know what they are, but it’s baffling that 15 or so highly experienced players and a manager of the experience and intellect of Mellon has not been able to fix it. They have been together for months now, and cannot blame any external factors for their failure. 

That group, have royally fucked things up, and I hope in time we find out what has happened to cause this, because to me it is a mystery.

Play ugly but win was clearly the game plan, and with the tools available there is nothing wrong with that plan. Why has it not happened?

A very honest assessment and a case of let's see what next season holds 

How many times have we been saying this, with or without investment?

Can we improve on Chesterfield's long stay down here, possibly but only if they level things up and have more than 1 team automatically promoted.

Even if a miracle were to happen and we somehow squeeze into the play offs, this lot haven't got what it takes to get past the first hurdle.

1 hour ago, Summerdeep said:

I think you can listen to Radio Alty, see link below

https://www.radioalty.co.uk/listen.html

Today's result could make  the gate for the Rochdale game differ by up to 3/4 thousand.  If we win, and are still in with a shout, depending on other results. We could have a gate of 7/8 thousand on Saturday. Lose, and today's other results go against us and we could struggle to get 5 thousand.

12 minutes ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

A very honest assessment and a case of let's see what next season holds 

How many times have we been saying this, with or without investment?

Can we improve on Chesterfield's long stay down here, possibly but only if they level things up and have more than 1 team automatically promoted.

Even if a miracle were to happen and we somehow squeeze into the play offs, this lot haven't got what it takes to get past the first hurdle.

Yes, I agree. Scrape a few wins and we might make 7th, but this lot aren’t going to start miraculously performing in the play off games.

Im probably ready to be put out of my misery. Get beat today and then I won’t need to be let down anymore this season. Maybe then we can have a look at a couple of the youth and those hopeless,  experienced, highly paid ‘professionals’ can start thinking about their holidays followed by some contract termination negotiations.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

Was looking at Cook’s record at Chesterfield as it gets referenced how far behind them we are. 

He got the job in Feb 22 with the team doing really well and only getting rid of the previous manager due to off the field stuff. By the looks of it he got 20 points from 19 games and they clung on to 7th, ending with 3 wins from the last 12 games. Season 2 they were doing really well then had a big blip of 3 points from 9 games mid season. Ended strongly though and finished 3rd. Then this season they’ve walked the league. 

30 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

It is on TNT so easy enough to find a pub showing it if you want.

I know the Blue Club in Chadderton is open now and showing the match this afternoon, OL9 0HH.

FFS! I have TNT as part of my BT package.
Does this mean I have to watch it? :D 

3 minutes ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

If the Fylde game was a must win, what does it make today?

"Play well because it's on the tele and other teams' scouts might be watching"?

It's done, over this season.  If they don't fuck it up for good today, they'll do it on Saturday or the week after..

Sorry!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andy Barlow’s dietician said:

Biggest wage bill

largest playing squad

I still think MM should have a summer transfer window and then a decent spell of games next season to see what he can do, but that is an excellent post and I can’t disagree with any of it.

27 minutes ago, JoeP said:

It's done, over this season.  If they don't fuck it up for good today, they'll do it on Saturday or the week after..

Sorry!

Feel the exact same Joe. 

They might scrape a win today, but they’ll only throw in a stinker in the next game. 

Season over. 😩

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Sorry!

8 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Feel the exact same Joe. 

They might scrape a win today, but they’ll only throw in a stinker in the next game. 

Season over. 😩

Nah F that. It’s the latics way to start believing again the closer you get to kick off. Let those hopes get up!…

42 minutes ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

If the Fylde game was a must win, what does it make today?

Alty will now be looking at 2nd and 3rd place as very achievable, as we go through the motions 

Today and every game for this group of players is a must win. Its still mathmatically possible for us to get top 7. Now I personally don't expect us now to get there but I expect us to be aiming for and doing everything they can to get top 7. I expect the players to show professional pride and go and give everything they have to win the game. The majority of this squad is playing for its future in professional football nevermind Oldham Athletic.

I don't expect them to play for the shirt or the fans or any of that bollocks if it motivates them great, but primarily I expect them to be trying for themselves and for their team mates.