New Manager Thread [Mergomatic Active]

At a meeting last year I asked SC why all the transfers are undisclosed

He reckons it is done so other clubs dont know how much we got when we try and sign players!!!

Could understand that argument if we were talking hundreds of thousands of more but doesn't wash

when dealing in peanuts.

But other clubs know we have nothing so that defeats the argument.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously I cant change anything nowadays, I'm from an old school when bank managers combed books with a fine tooth comb. I just wonder what's to hide by not disclosing transfer fees?

No such problem with the big clubs where transfer fees are widely reported in the media, e.g. the new Man United centre back at £30m, why didn't they insist on 'undisclosed' leaving the fans guessing ?

Hand on heart, can you recall a 'transfer fee widely reported in the media' coming from a ANY CLUB? The media have no interest in us, apart from a couple of exceptions.

At a meeting last year I asked SC why all the transfers are undisclosed

He reckons it is done so other clubs dont know how much we got when we try and sign players!!!

Could understand that argument if we were talking hundreds of thousands of more but doesn't wash

when dealing in peanuts.

If you're dealing in peanuts then disinformation is even more important.

It's the golden rule of all business that you lie about, misinform or refuse to divulge figures.

For all the moaning, and amid the random sporadic shouts of "cheap option" - which means nothing given that we don't have enough money to make anyone a cheap option?!!, the shortlist actually looks quite promising...

A few on Twitter are starting to realise...

Still a long time for a manager, with contacts, to build a squad.

I think Dowie would be heart over head. How anyone could chose him over Adams is baffling.

Bunn and Dowie would be interesting though.

I just fear for our defence if Shirtliff goes, whoever we sign.

Adams has never played or been involved below championship level...that would be a worry

The club seems to be keen to appoint somebody with Oldham Athletic credentials....personally I think that is irrelevant to the job and I wonder whether there is am element of cynicism in trying to buy credibility from appointing somebody with a previous connection to us

Adams has never played or been involved below championship level...that would be a worry

The club seems to be keen to appoint somebody with Oldham Athletic credentials....personally I think that is irrelevant to the job and I wonder whether there is am element of cynicism in trying to buy credibility from appointing somebody with a previous connection to us

I think there was a quote from Neil Joy saying they wanted someone with knowledge of the inner workings of the club.

It's a very different place from when Neil Adams was last here. Same goes for Bunn.

Can confirm once stood in a queue at Argos in Oldham with Adams and he was unable to get the cheap option he was after so some experience. It was also 5 mins before closing at Christmas so a late shopper.Good credentials for us.

He (or more correctly his wife) was one of my best customers on my Betterware round as a kid.

I'd be happy with Bunn or Adams. Adams has more experience as a manager but both have an affinity to the club and a lot of experience as coaches. Whether that translates into being a good manager is hard to tell, but they're both a big step up from Kelly and Dunn.

Must have dreamt that Andy Ritchie signed him for a second spell in the summer of 1999 playing 60 odd games during the brierley not got a pot to piss in years. It was Adams' free kick into Dux's bonce at the JJB...

Must have dreamt that Andy Ritchie signed him for a second spell in the summer of 1999 playing 60 odd games during the brierley not got a pot to piss in years. It was Adams' free kick into Dux's bonce at the JJB...

Let's not forget it was also Adams that scored the goal when we beat Man Utd 1-0 in 1993.

Nowt like living in the past!

Will the announcement be today? The club hierarchy stated that they will want to have the new manager in by June 13th

To be honest I'm so underwhelmed with our club that I'm not bothered when it's announced. I'm certain the majority feel the same so a massive shot in the arm is needed by our new manager, their first few interviews around plans and then ultimately who will bring in on the playing front and can they get Cassidy to score goals?!