Oldham Roughyeds at Boundary Park?

Roughyeds at Boundary Park  

209 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be content to allow Roughyeds to play at Boundary Park?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't know.

We don't know if an agreement has been reached for newly promoted Roiughyeds to play at BP in the Championship, but it is a possibility.

Forgetting ill feeling from before, which I think may partly have been used to glosss over poorer performances, would you be happy that Roughyeds play at BP.

I think the ground staff do a great job, and feel they could cope with this, as other clubs manage. But not having Roughyeds on the ptch has hardly led to a huge upturn in playing style of form.

LAtics are the landlord, but think Latics should charge a fair rent, but it has to allow Roughyeds to compete and grow to, but Latics share in that.

Extra markeing and co deals would also be welcome, as would sharing costs/

The two leading professional clubs in the area sharing? Yes or No?

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know that it doesn't help the pitch but it is about time the two clubs worked together. Roughyeds got royally screwed by the council. We know what that feels like but they got it much worse than we did.

An agreement needs to be reached that is financially beneficial to both clubs. If we can make some money out of it, great, but not if that's going to cripple the rugby.

I know that it doesn't help the pitch but it is about time the two clubs worked together. Roughyeds got royally screwed by the council. We know what that feels like but they got it much worse than we did.

An agreement needs to be reached that is financially beneficial to both clubs. If we can make some money out of it, great, but not if that's going to cripple the rugby.

Agreed, and some sort of profit share if they get to Super League, the club benefit. As you say the agreement needs to help Roughyeds grow and Latics to not incur costs.

As long as the rugby clubs rent reflected the increase in pitch maintenance costs I don't see it being a problem.

If a deal could be agreed it would make sense to have the facilities available 52 weeks a year.

The only problem I can see is that the ground is possibly too big for the rugby club as it is now and fans could be easily housed in the North and main stands which has capacity for around 5000, If they were happy with that then I say go for it.

Come to think of it with the way things are going at present that capacity could be enough for the football club as well!!

Edited by oafc1955

As long as the rugby clubs rent reflected the increase in pitch maintenance costs I don't see it being a problem.

If a deal could be agreed it would make sense to have the facilities available 52 weeks a year.

The only problem I can see is that the ground is possibly too big for the rugby club as it is now and fans could be easily housed in the North and main stands which has capacity for around 5000, If they were happy with that then I say go for it.

Come to think of it with the way things are going at present that capacity could be enough for the football club as well!!

This this and this

I'm not convinced rugby league damages the pitch that much.

Certainly not as much as union.

But I think they owe Latics quite a bit and unless that's paid Corney would be right to refuse.

I also think that this is the case, and Mr Corney would be quite within his rights to tell them to bog off until you pay up what you owe! I would like to see it resolved and see both clubs at BP though.

But I think they owe Latics quite a bit and unless that's paid Corney would be right to refuse.

IMO it's not the game itself that would cause a problem, it's just the extra usage and the loss of time in the summer to dig up and reseed like we do now every couple of years.

I wouldn't want hockey or crown green bowls or whatever played on it either.

My thoughts. I would have to be convinced that there is a solution to this, as it seems a regular occurance the pitch is reseeded each summer.

Its re-seeded every summer. Not like we are playing unbelievable slick passing football. During DKs reign the 2nd half of games was played on a waterlogged pitch due to the amount the sprinklers chucked on it at HT. And didnt our Ground staff win an award last season?

The state of the pitch wont be the reason that Latics dont go up. The chance for Oldham Roughyeds to achieve success and reach the top level has got to be greater than Latics, and greater again if they get to use Latics facilities. Both clubs should work from BP and help each other thrive. I liked that initiative someone suggested of double header tickets, engaging in this sort of marketing is something neither club seems to be any good at.

Even if there are debts outstanding, Corney would be daft not to try and reach a settlement/agreement with them. Could be quite lucrative (for OEC) to have a set of rugby fixtures every year.

How is it lucrative to open the ground up to 600 to 800 fans?

We are told that JPT games that attract around three times as many fans lose the club money so how on earth is a third rate rugby fixture going to become lucrative? Am I missing something here.

Hamilton its been claimed has outstanding debt with Simon, he also owes a friend of mine a considerable amount of money so its fair to say he has burnt a few bridges during his tenure as chairman of the rugby club, I would be shocked and amazed if they were allowed to ground share. Unless any deal was underwritten by the council its very unlikely to happen.

Makes sense but don't like it as pitch will suffer.

If anything Latics will suffer as the pitch will take a lot more stick - it didn't stand up to football all that well in the last couple of seasons, although at least it won't be as exposed now with the new stand in place. But for Corney et al's business it makes sense; I very much doubt any of the financial benefit will end up in the hands of Latics.