New manager being discussed?

We haven't won a game of any significance for nearly a year (and even that had an element of luck about it)

These players can't even do the basics right.

Exactly this. What the :censored: can he do once they are out on the pitch misplacing passes, and generally looking back instead of forwards, there is no way the manager has told them everything has to go back. Most of this lot aren't up to it.

• Replies 684
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Dunne and Holden stay I fear we are as good as gone already...

Jurgen Klopp had a passage in his programme notes a few weeks back along the lines of-

"It is us who have to put this right, It is us who have the responsibility. It is us who have to make you believe, no matter what stage of the game, that we are still fighting and capable of producing something incredible"

.............. and then I read Dunne's interview :petesake:

Exactly this. What the :censored: can he do once they are out on the pitch misplacing passes, and generally looking back instead of forwards, there is no way the manager has told them everything has to go back. Most of this lot aren't up to it.

The problem is most of this lot have proved they can do it, for at time at any rate. And who keep picking the ones that can't, or at least out of form..?

Eyres 42 is right. We don't have a decent full back on the books, the centre halves are physically weak. Kelly does not effect the game in either last third. Jones is a journey man, there are problems in goal, we have a centre forward who has not scored for 18 months , we are slow of thought and movement in many places.....apart from that we are quite strong

Every week we lose, every week we are told it is down to individual errors.....the reason for individual errors is that the players are not good enough surely.

What struck me this weekend about his latest passing of the buck is that there's never any talk from Dunn about coaching the players to become better.

Johnson often spoke about players praising them on the one hand but stating "there are a few parts of his game that we're working on to improve him" or such like...

Whether Dunn's right or wrong (I think he's wrong) that they're all :censored: is it not a fundamental part of his job to develop them?

His comments that not even Mourinho or Ferguson would be able to get these players to cut out individual errors should be the final nail in his coffin.

Of course they would, that's one of the main things that made them great managers.

If he doesn't understand that he really has no hope whatsoever as a manager.

Edited by HarryBosch

What struck me this weekend about his latest passing of the buck is that there's never any talk from Dunn about coaching the players to become better.

Johnson often spoke about players praising them on the one hand but stating "there are a few parts of his game that we're working on to improve him" or such like...

Whether Dunn's right or wrong (I think he's wrong) that they're all :censored: is it not a fundamental part of his job to develop them?

His comments that not even Mourinho or Ferguson would be able to get these players to cut out individual errors should be the final nail in his coffin.

Of course they would, that's one of the main things that made them great managers.

If he doesn't understand that he really has no hope whatsoever as a manager.

I'm not sure that's strictly true. Ferguson in particular had keepers post Scmeichel who he clearly could not stop making individual errors. What he could do, of course, was discard them and continue spending large amounts of money until he found somebody good. That is one boat we're not in.

We haven't won a game of any significance for nearly a year (and even that had an element of luck about it)

These players can't even do the basics right.

You can either stick to facts or you can make things up (and desperately throw the word "nearly" into your post)....

LEAGUE ONE Sa 17Jan 2015 Fleetwood 0 - 2 Oldham
W
LEAGUE ONE Sa 24Jan 2015 Gillingham 3 - 2 Oldham
L
LEAGUE ONE Sa 31Jan 2015 Oldham 3 - 0 Notts Co
W
LEAGUE ONE Tu 03Feb 2015 Barnsley 1 - 0 Oldham
L
LEAGUE ONE Sa 07Feb 2015 Scunthorpe 0 - 1 Oldham
W
LEAGUE ONE Tu 10Feb 2015 Oldham 2 - 1 Swindon
W

I'd take 12 points from 18 right now.

We went up to 5th

These are the same players

All above is fact.

I was on about the Swindon game, we haven't beaten a good side since.

We might not need to again this season but we are probably going to have to win at least 8 games to stay up.

And if by some miracle they do manage that then you could say they will have been cheating themselves and us for a year.

Dunn makes his own problems , he slags the players off blaming them for everything so how the hell can he then go on to motivate them for Saturday.

2 options left for Latics -

1/ Support Dunn and get 7 new players in January .

2/ Get rid and bring one manager in and one new coach.

I know which is cheaper so hopefully Corney will take the cheap option again !!!!

Its clear that Johnson got these players performing far better than the current management.

Nethertheless when a new manager comes in and surely the latest this will happen is May, They will be and will need to be making wholesale changes to the squad. This is still essentially Lee Johnson's team the players backed him and bought into what he wanted from them in a way that they are not doing with the current management.

Edited by GlossopLatic

Dunn makes his own problems , he slags the players off blaming them for everything so how the hell can he then go on to motivate them for Saturday.

2 options left for Latics -

2/ Get rid and bring one manager in and one new coach.

I know which is cheaper so hopefully Corney will take the cheap option again !!!!

Not quite correct, although the sentiment is. We still need at least a goalkeeper and a CB, ideally a couple more. Doable with getting rid of some of the no playing loanees.

2/ Get rid and bring one manager in and one new coach, & 2 or 3 players.

EDIT MAybe I'd add new GK coach too!!!! But combine that with releasing Cornell and getting an old head.

Edited by singe

Its clear that Johnson got these players performing far better than the current management.

Nethertheless when a new manager comes in and surely the latest this will happen is May, They will be and will need to be making wholesale changes to the squad. This is still essentially Lee Johnson's team the players backed him and bought into what he wanted from them in a way that they are not doing with the current management.

That rules out them not performing for a capable manager, and I don't think you can confidently assert that. They might buy into someone else's philosphy.

What they don't buy into is naive, or negative management.

Edited by singe

Not quite correct, although the sentiment is. We still need at least a goalkeeper and a CB, ideally a couple more. Doable with getting rid of some of the no playing loanees.

2/ Get rid and bring one manager in and one new coach, & 2 or 3 players.

We've got a keeper. Stick Coleman in nets, youth keeper on the bench, bin off Cornell and bring in an emergency loan keeper if Coleman gets injured or suspended.

Matt chambers latest tweet suggests he's going nowhere

I wouldn't say that. To me, it says he's spoken to Dunn, and Dunn has a meeting scheduled, and Dunn thinks it's business as usual and Dunn thinks he's going nowhere.

Matt Chambers @Matt_Chambers_ 3h3 hours ago

Important week for David Dunn in terms of shaping squad. Due to meet board to discuss targets and determined to turn things round. #oafc

We've got a keeper. Stick Coleman in nets, youth keeper on the bench, bin off Cornell and bring in an emergency loan keeper if Coleman gets injured or suspended.

I really rate Coleman, think he has been harshly treated, and think he will be the dogs. But right now, we need an experienced head, to also teach Coleman.

Edited by singe

It seems pretty clear that Dunn doesn't think much of the fans. Never any apology - and that incident at Crewe when he didn't make the players acknowledge the travelling supporters. Also no mention of us in his latest interviews. Pretty sure that Corney hasn't the balls to fire him having messed up over Kelly so we're stuck with Dunn and dumber until we fall into League 2!

2 points for me

1) why hadn't this meeting taken place at least 3 weeks ago

2) I feel reassured that Barry, Gee and Corney are involved in assessing the potential of players ....oh dear

It won't be so bad if they just go off their record. You can count the number of suitable candidates on one hand, then go for them.

It seems pretty clear that Dunn doesn't think much of the fans. Never any apology - and that incident at Crewe when he didn't make the players acknowledge the travelling supporters. Also no mention of us in his latest interviews. Pretty sure that Corney hasn't the balls to fire him having messed up over Kelly so we're stuck with Dunn and dumber until we fall into League 2!

He's had nothing but abuse since starting, I don't blame him.

This talk about this team has shown they can do it.

I am less than convinced.

No wins in August 2014

One win in November 2014

No wins in December 2014 which included 7-0 loss and 4-0 home loss to bottom of league

Lost 8 of Johnson's last 13

Johnson left us with no keeper, no fit centre half and no centre forward

Then factor in forte goals in sept and Octonber , daniel Johnson's contribution at the same time and the fact we had a keeper and a different picture emerges re the rump that remains and it's capability

When Johnson left on feb 14th we had 43 points from 31 games

On feb 11th of Dickov's first season we had 43 points from 27 points and were 4th

Johnson's high water mark is thus significantly lower than the previous manager's. Just beware the propaganda of cult Johnson

Interesting that people continue to have so much faith in this group of players, as if it is going to suddenly click into gear.

Hopefully, some of those players will be replaced and the new signings click into gear.

This talk about this team has shown they can do it.

I am less than convinced.

No wins in August 2014

One win in November 2014

No wins in December 2014 which included 7-0 loss and 4-0 home loss to bottom of league

Lost 8 of Johnson's last 13

Johnson left us with no keeper, no fit centre half and no centre forward

Then factor in forte goals in sept and Octonber , daniel Johnson's contribution at the same time and the fact we had a keeper and a different picture emerges re the rump that remains and it's capability

When Johnson left on feb 14th we had 43 points from 31 games

On feb 11th of Dickov's first season we had 43 points from 27 points and were 4th

Johnson's high water mark is thus significantly lower than the previous manager's. Just beware the propaganda of cult Johnson

I agree, it shows a couple of decent acquisitions where we are deficient. No Johnson believer here, loathe him. He was no Messiah. But the facts show these players can play a bit. THere are a couple of missing links in the chain.

I am going to start a rumour right now:

David Dunn is in talks with Blackburn Rovers about a potential loan move for out-of-favour defender Matthew Kilgallon. The Latics have expressed their desire to bring in an experienced centre-back as they lie 22nd in Sky Bet League 1, five points adrift of safety.

Feel free to copy and paste where inappropriate.

Edited by NewBlue