New manager being discussed?

Is Corney even in the country?

I thought I read he was going to be here midweek but could be mistaken

the board meetin gthis week could have a different agenda than Dunn has been led to believe.

If Dunn was Corneys man and he is going to can him, he should do it in person.

Edited by palmer1

• Replies 684
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am going to start a rumour right now:

David Dunn is in talks with Blackburn Rovers about a potential loan move for out-of-favour defender Matthew Kilgallon. The Latics have expressed their desire to bring in an experienced centre-back as they lie 22nd in Sky Bet League 1, five points adrift of safety.

Feel free to copy and paste where inappropriate.

You might be on the right track,but at the wrong station I think.

You might be on the right track,but at the wrong station I think.

He would be an excellent signing. Only made 3 appearances this season and has vast experience, as well as being current Blackburn vice-captain. After saying all that he's probably injured...

Burnley, Bolton or Preston the next stop...?

Just noticed Adam el-Abd has been sent back to Bristol City. Could be a potential leader at the back.

Edited by NewBlue

Is Corney even in the country?

I thought I read he was going to be here midweek but could be mistaken

the board meetin gthis week could have a different agenda than Dunn has been led to believe.

If Dunn was Corneys man and he is going to can him, he should do it in person.

I'm going to defend Corney here and say he never fancied Dunn as manager, didn't he say as much at last seasons awards? I'd hazard a guess Dunn was Owen and Hills little masterplan, Corney wouldn't of set out to undermine Kelly in the same way others at the club did. Unfortunately for Corney its now his mess to sort out. Edited by yarddog73

I'm going to defend Corney here and say he never fancied Dunn as manager, didn't he say as much at last seasons awards? I'd hazard a guess Dunn was Owen and Hills little masterplan, Corney wouldn't of set out to undermine Kelly in the same way others at the club did. Unfortunately for Corney its now his mess to sort out.

I'd be utterly astounded if that secenario played out.

Barry has influence, but I doubt Hill has.

Perhaps you mean Barry and Neil Joy?

I'd be utterly astounded if that secenario played out.

Barry has influence, but I doubt Hill has.

Perhaps you mean Barry and Neil Joy?

Hill had more influence than Barry ever did, in my (limited) time there. He :censored:ing hated me too, so he's on to something even if it's not picking managers...!

These players are not up to it. Not at all.

Don't get this Dunn bashing from day one. he took over a piss poor side and still has a piss poor side. I don't doubt James Wilson hates him, likewise Mills and maybe a few more, but lets be honest, they have been gash this season. Pro players should be just that, these lot are poor.

Edited by Lags

That rules out them not performing for a capable manager, and I don't think you can confidently assert that. They might buy into someone else's philosphy.

What they don't buy into is naive, or negative management.

Find a manager who does not want to make changes to a squad that has only won 1 home game all season and sits 5 points from safety and I will show you someobe who we shouldn't entertain employing in a management capacity.

Now some of these players will be galvanised by a change of leadership but I feel several will have to and should go.

These players are not up to it. Not at all.

Don't get this Dunn bashing from day one. he took over a piss poor side and still has a piss poor side. I don't doubt James Wilson hates him, likewise Mills and maybe a few more, but lets be honest, they have been gash this season. Pro players should be just that, these lot are poor.

I've been saying it for months. This is a crap squad, a really crap squad.

And if by some miracle they do manage that then you could say they will have been cheating themselves and us for a year.

I agree to a point and the players must take a share of the blame.

But I think you're underestimating the effect that 4 different managers in a year can have on a player's development. Especially when 3 have never managed at a professional level before as there will be an experimental element to more of their decisions compared to an experienced manager. The messages will always be slightly different, making it unsettling for each player.

Dunn isn't the manager that I'd trust with a transfer window but I wouldn't want him sacked at all costs due to the chance that the remaining current players would be even more unsettled if the next manager isn't remarkably better.

Both the players and manager are to blame.

If you have a bloke that can't catch, coaching can only help so much.

If I was a Latics player I would self motivate for a move that could get me an extra £500 per week, but other than Kelly this team does seem to be mentally fragile.

But confidence and ability can be increased with motivation and for this useless bunch they need a manager to sort them out. Unfortunately this isn't Dunn.

Mighty Bosh has hit the nail there.

I'm not absolving them of blame, they've underperformed without doubt, but can you really expect a collective group to be at their best when they've had 4 managers - 3 of which have been desperately poor - over the course of 12 months, weren't even getting paid on time and have had to deal with uncertainty left, right and centre in general, to perform at their best or even close to it?

Anyone who reckons this is a bottom 4 squad is talking out of their arse. Yes, it needs a couple of additions, and has done since the summer, but when you look at the difference between us and even the top 4 sides, perhaps excluding Coventry, the gulf isn't much.

The one commonality they all share? Stability. The one factor we haven't got.

Mighty Bosh has hit the nail there.

I'm not absolving them of blame, they've underperformed without doubt, but can you really expect a collective group to be at their best when they've had 4 managers - 3 of which have been desperately poor - over the course of 12 months, weren't even getting paid on time and have had to deal with uncertainty left, right and centre in general, to perform at their best or even close to it?

Anyone who reckons this is a bottom 4 squad is talking out of their arse. Yes, it needs a couple of additions, and has done since the summer, but when you look at the difference between us and even the top 4 sides, perhaps excluding Coventry, the gulf isn't much.

The one commonality they all share? Stability. The one factor we haven't got.

The fact of the matter is, the past 12 months plus results tell us this a bottom four squad. The football veing played and limited amount of goals scored says its a bottom four squad. Even you without realising are saying its a bottom four squad unless you have additions.

More importantly, the league table is saying it's a bottom four squad. This squad wouldn't get in league two play offs either

Since 28 th October 2014 this team has got

18 points from 16 under Johnson

14 from 15 under Holden

7 from 7 under Kelly

14 from 15 under Dunn

My conclusion? This lot will get us relegated whoever the manager. Dunn might have a point?

If we get Forte back in some shape and form, his goals and presence may get us to scrape over the line. This board would try to sell him though like they did before.

New board please. It's the only way forward for me now. A new board with new vigor would pay to replace this enept squad.

Yes Forte goals upto the away rochdale game were the difference between us being competitive and incompetent. Johnson brought him in so credit there but he did disguise how ordinary a manager Johnson was / is and what an ordinary team we are

Dunn hasn't exactly endeared himself to some of the players and the fans but a pro should bust a gut each and every time he crosses that white line. It shouldn't matter what they think of the manager as it's the blue shirt they're playing for and even when feeling harshly treated after being dropped should be busting a gut to get back in.

A fair percentage of these players are powderpuff with no bottle and very little drive. I remember Johnson referring to due diligence on every signing to make sure they were of good strong character both off the field and on it......what a load of :censored:e that turned out to be...you wouldn't want to be stuck in the trenches with some of this lot.

You can only deal with the hand you've got and while I've not exactly been a huge fan of Dunn you have to admire the guy for taking on what looked to be a hopeless task to start with for his first job in management.

So Dunn would keep 6 of the current squad. So excluding Bove, Truelove, Byrnes, Read, Renshaw and Edmundson to have the same number of players in the squad we need to sell and sign 15 players. Add in to that one or two of these he would keep leaving thats 16/17 players out and in.

And he's already signed 6 on loan (included Fuller in the current squad numbers). And depsite his recruitment, we've dropped from 19th (table position after P'boro game) to 22nd.

In his 16 league games, we have picked up 14 points. In those 16 games, we've won 2, drawn 8 and lost 6. We've conceded 26 times and scored 19.

So, whilst Dunn has so far signed 7 players overall (some signed have been decent but hasn't got them playing well together) we have dropped down the league and look likely to be cut adrift. No player looks to have improved under his coaching or played well for more than a game or two.

He bangs on about some players not giving it their all but picks similar teams most games and refuses to drop a keeper who's inability to a catch a ball has badly damaged us and he always looks to deflect blame from himself onto the players and fans.

He's shown no signs of being able to manage a team, believes everyone else is to blame and signed near enough three quarters of a first 11 yet hasn't brought in a CB which is the one position we needed someone in most and has taken us into the relegation places.

Should definitely let him sell and replace 15-17 players...

Edited by RobOAFC

The players must take some of the blame after crossing that white line but just take a look at Chelsea to see when players can't or won't play for a manager. I'm not saying that necessarily applies for Dunn and Kelky before him but under Johnson most of those players played for the team.

The current squad aren't performing but I don't accept that they are inferior to previous squads at our disposal. I'm seasons gone by the quality was arguably inferior to this season yet the managers at the time got them playing and playing well despite limited ability. It was down to fitness, tactics, leadership, motivation and managers ability to change tactics appropriate to the opposition.

Kelly was a total mistake; an unknown shrinking violet who shuddered in front of the older players and lacked any inspiration or leadership. Dunn has playing ability above this level and the experience on the field to lead but found to be limited as a manager to lead and inspire the team from the touch line. It's clearly obvious that he needs an old head on the touchline to mentor him, handle training and tactics, possibly handle recruitment and Dunn return to playing despite his limited mobility. His pride won't allow this and he's now more a hindrance than an asset.

No managerial change I fear will mean we won't bridge the gap already between us and safety with us going down for the first time in a generation.

If the rumour of Dunn on his way out is true then I'm uncertain if Carsley is the answer. He did well at Brentford but that was a short term tenure - at Coventry he was part of a coaching team as opposed to the manager. My preference would be someone like Graham Alexander who achieved success at Fleetwood. Chris Wilder another if we could entice him from Northampton and bring Marc Richards with him.

You can only deal with the hand you've got and while I've not exactly been a huge fan of Dunn you have to admire the guy for taking on what looked to be a hopeless task to start with for his first job in management.

Don't know about that - he knew what he was getting himself into, yet has bellyached about it from pretty much the start. If he went into the job knowing the task was hopeless for him, I feel the polar opposite of admiration.

Edited by JoeP

Since 28 th October 2014 this team has got

18 points from 16 under Johnson*

14 from 15 under Holden

7 from 7 under Kelly

14 from 15 under Dunn

My conclusion? This lot will get us relegated whoever the manager. Dunn might have a point?

* - but were unbeaten in 13 (inc. 7 wins) in all competitions immediately before this run.

* - but were unbeaten in 13 in all competitions immediately before this run.

Yes and in another thread I have emphasised the role of Forte and Rabchuka in that run. Forte got injured and Rabs ludicrously moved out. Upto and including the Rochdale away game Kusanga had played 11 times . Our record in those games was 5 5 1. After that game ( the first without Rabchuka) johnson ludicrously tried to play 3 at the back to accommodate Elokobi. ( and denied doing it saying we fans do not understand) ....the wheels came off and to this day I do not understand how Johnson's decisions brought about by his ego have never been called to account